good free pc games other than SRB2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Try sonic fgx. side scrolling, sonic advanced style game that allows custom characters.
edit:
there's always cave story. everyone should play that, imo.

Last edited:
Some stuff off the top of my head:

- Zone Runner 1 + 2 and Mr Stump's Dentures
- Within a Deep Forest
- Knytt Stories
- Cave Story (duh)
- Eternal Daughter (Watch out - bastard difficulty level)
- Boppin (originally commercial, now released by the original authors as freeware)
- Jumper 1 + 2 by YoMamasMama (These are what I played before Super Meat Boy came out.)
- Gravity Bone (Don't get too excited. It's really short)
- Frogatto and Friends (I have this one on my OpenPandora actually)
- NullpoMino (Believe me when I say it's the best Tetris clone out there)
- Not Tetris 2 (Tetris for those who want something a little... different)
- Ortho Robot (Pretty short for a puzzle compilation game, but hey)

You could also try the shareware demos of classic DOS games like Quake. You usually get a full episode to play through for free.

Edit: Added links for all the games.

Last edited:
If you're interested in an enjoyable 2D action game with compelling story and characterisation, multiple ways to approach the challenges based on your playstyle and absurdly high replayability then I would absolutely reccomend 'Iji'. Iji is an absolutely fantastic game and I love it to pieces.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33mxD4FjD3w

oh, and it's a fantastic game for pacifist runs if you're into that kind of challenge. A lot changes if you avoid killing people, from story events to small bits of dialogue recorded by the villains commenting on why you're taking all the ammo in the game without firing anything.

Hydorah - It is a fun shoot 'em up much like Gradius. It has upgradable guns and stuff that you would expect from a shoot 'em up.

Hero Core - I am not sure how to describe this, but you have to explore space and shoot various aliens and bosses and such getting upgradable stuff. You can even defeat the final boss first (I think you might have to defeat at least one boss to get there I haven't played this in a while), but he is easier with all the upgrades of course.

Bonesaw: The Game -BONESAW is REAAAADY. Er, I mean this game involves a platforming hockey player that somehow has a bonesaw powerup when red pellets from your enemies. There are pucks in the stage you can find for those of you who like to 100% everything.

Typhoon 2001 - A very good remake of tempest 2000. I am not sure how to describe this either, but this video should help.

Last edited:
Eggman Hates Furries is a pretty fun and quick Sonic fan game.

Minecraft Classic is essentially Minecraft's creative mode, but is free and has to be played on a browser. The only catch, however, is that you have to sign up your own account in order to play online and/or save your worlds in single player.

Team Fortress 2 is a pretty obvious choice, since it recently got free-to-play. It's a FPS with nine unique classes, many fun gametypes, and is lots of fun, especially if you've enjoyed Valve's other games.

Spiral Knights is a free MMO that I haven't played much, but I've heard lots of great things about it.

Last edited:
Spiral Knights can be odd to a lot of people, but it can fun once you know the drills.
The Krogmo Coliseum is definitively the best place in the game to have fun. It only costs 200 crowns (game's currency) too. Beware though, teams can be unfair as all hell in Lockdown and it happens relatively often.

Team Fortress 2 is THE best free PC game you will find. Thing is, because it just went free-to-play recently, the players who paid for the game aren't too accepting the f2p ones yet, and will bash them if said f2p players ask for something for free like weapons or hats.
With that said, it's not too hard to get weapons and hats, with the class-specific achievements and free games that give you a hat upon completing an achievement, so you should never ask for such things and you only have yourself to blame if they bash you.

Definitely Team Fortress 2 or Cave Story. TF2 is for mature players, but that all depends on whether cartoony blood and hilarious if sometimes lewd taunts bothers you. That and the ludicrous amount of body parts flying everywhere. The graphics resemble something like Pixar, though, so it's not very gross.

Definitely Team Fortress 2 or Cave Story. TF2 is for mature players, but that all depends on whether cartoony blood and hilarious if sometimes lewd taunts bothers you. That and the ludicrous amount of body parts flying everywhere. The graphics resemble something like Pixar, though, so it's not very gross.

That, and if your parents have something against it you can enable silly gibs which turns the blood into green and instead of body parts flying out, cheeseburgers and baloons fly out instead.

Try NITRONIC RUSH , It's an awesome car game .... AWESOME !

nitronic-rush-04-700x390.jpg

You should watch for some games on Steam. Various games such as Portal become free (forever!) for a limited time.

Edit: MMOs are quite fun too. DC Universe recently started a free-to-play model and I heard the game is great. I play (ok, I know some of you may say "ew") Runescape and that also has a free-to-play model. It should give you months of playtime before getting bored of it.

Last edited:
I second Eggman Hates Furries. Who would have known that a boss-centric Sonic fangame could be so much fun?

Also, I raved about Sonic Axiom in a previous thread, but I'll repost it here. It's a complete and pretty good 2D Sonic fangame with especially awesome level design, graphics, and Special Stages.

Also, Sonic VR is a wonderful challenge which has super-short levels that require navigating through elements of Sonic 1. Terrific concept, execution, and presentation.

I've also always liked some of the games on Newgrounds. The Fancy Pants Adventure World 2 and Madness Accelerant are two of the better ones.

Last edited:
Trackmania Nations Forever. Insane stunt driving. Comprehensive tile-based level editor. Great multiplayer. Completely free. No catches. As far as I know, there's no in-game store to trick you into paying more than you wanted to, like with most free-to-play games (and I think I'd know, having played Trackmania a fair bit).

Well, I suppose there's one caveat; it's basically a demo for Trackmania United, which has six more locales/driving styles on top of the one featured here. However, even considering that, it has got to be one of the most fully-featured demos in existence, more than qualifying as its own title outright.

Counter Strike Condition Zero is an addictive first person shooter that I and most of my school plays. I am not sure entirely why I perfer to play it instead of CoD or <name a FPS shooter>.

counter-strike-condition-zero.1524998.jpg

Plasma Pong is the most unique pong game ever made where the ball's speed and direction is based on the fluid (plasma) in the backround. The project was cancelled, but I'm sure there are copies of the game on the net.

pong2_big.jpg

If you like strategy games you may like Battle for Wesnoth. It is free, and I even recommended it to a friend.

wesnoth-1.3.13-2.jpg

There is Team Fortress 2 on Steam. But that DOES have the Mann Co. Store & it's premium system...

You know, you can pretty much get anything you want nowadays. I got about 3 shareware Android games for nothing at all recently. Each and every one of them being fun in their own respective ways. You just need to find the right websites/downloads. Easier said than done, yes, but I'm not going to simply link you to what you want; simply google searching, which is what I did, can prove to be useful.

(This is coming from a person who torrented steam games like Sonic Generations and Bastion that didn't work for me in the long run because of my OS)

Two games that come across my head..
Spelunky, in a nutshell, is an innovative game of venturing through caves, and getting miscellaneous goods.
If you're a creative type of guy, Terraria/Minecraft (I personally like Terraria more than Minecraft) is a pretty fun game where you can simply build, build, and build. Similar to Spelunky in a way, but with more exploration and a huge overworld map in Terraria/Minecraft than the various randomly generated levels of Spelunky

Other games mentioned above that I also consider to be swell games.
Spiral Knights
Plasma Pong
Sonic before the Sequel
Cave Story

If you're also into RPGs, and are into the (very) dirty kind, I can reccomend you Sengoku Rance; It can be found with simply google searching.

Last edited:
If you're a creative type of guy, Terraria/Minecraft (I personally like Terraria more than Minecraft) is a pretty fun game where you can simply build, build, and build. Similar to Spelunky in a way, but with more exploration and a huge overworld map in Terraria/Minecraft than the various randomly generated levels of Spelunky
Terraria is not free to my understanding, and Minecraft's free-ness is limited to Classic (like Creative but even more limited) and a five-in-game-day demo based on an out-of-date version.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back