Sonic Generations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your "the fans only want classic Sonic" garbage is ridiculous.
For one thing, you should know as well as I do that that's bullshit because a majority of them simply want a well-done game without shitty Werehogs, linear corridors, trial-and-error gameplay, and shallow and simplistic platforming (the latter two apparently relevant in even Generations).
Second, the majority of classic fans are complaining about legitimate faults in a game which (as trivial as they may seem to you) are in the game and are going to hurt peoples' experience with the game because some of them are very important to people (automation being a commonly-addressed issue).
Apparently you can't understand that people have reasoning in their "whining and bitching" because it somehow upsets you. The only people that incessantly complain about insignificant problems are in the extreme-but-vocal minority that you seem to be passing off as the entirety of the classic fanbase.

Ironic that the only thing you've praised about this game is that it brought back themes from previous games, yet you criticize the entire classic fanbase for "wanting more of the same".

Hey, Kyasarin. Thanks for that. I'm kind of disgusted with the people who hate Sonic 4 yet are looking forward to this. It's an incredible case of hypocrisy that I never thought I'd see considering the massive internet backdraft last year.

So am I supposed to accept a shitty level roster, a not up-to-the-plate Retro Sonic experience lest I be called a "hard-to-please" curmudgeon? Well you know what I have to say about the people that make that accusation? You're way too easy to please and you have low standards. End of the story. Iizuka can shove his dumbassery elsewhere.

You're way too easy to please and you have low standards. End of the story. Iizuka can shove his dumbassery elsewhere.
Get the fuck back to Retro. I realize the game has problems - and honestly, the Classic segments seem a bit lacking - but your constant bitching about how the game doesn't live up to your idealized notion of what the perfect Sonic game is has got to be some of the most contrived bullshit I've seen on these forums. LOOK MA I CAN GENERALIZE TOO

And yes, I did like Sonic 4.

I'm kind of disgusted with the people who hate Sonic 4 yet are looking forward to this. It's an incredible case of hypocrisy that I never thought I'd see considering the massive internet backdraft last year.
It seems to me more like a case of the fanbase managing to mature a bit between releases. I don't see the problem here.

Last edited:
The upper post is pretty much all my opinions about the entire series and people´s reactions, especially, this game.

Either way, anyone knows if there is an official release date, or if it can be pre-ordered?

Either way, anyone knows if there is an official release date, or if it can be pre-ordered?

Some sources say an october or november release, and yes it can be pre-ordered now.

Greg the Cat said:
I'm kind of disgusted with the people who hate Sonic 4 yet are looking forward to this. It's an incredible case of hypocrisy that I never thought I'd see considering the massive internet backdraft last year.
I won't go into this very much to avoid flame wars, But Sonic 4 and Sonic Generations are very different in appearance and gameplay.

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.joystiq.com/media/2010/02/sonic4216.jpg

http://storage.siliconera.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/sonicg4_thumb.jpg

Note that these two pictures are based off the same area in Green Hill Zone, and look how vastly different they are.

Also may I note that Sonic 4 was hyped as a "an all new 2D adventure built from the ground up" and, most famously said by Ken Balough: "Sonic the Hedgehog 4 as you truly imagined it". A much more reasonable thing to note is how Sonic 4 is a downloadable game with a smaller budget while Sonic Generations has no doubt a larger budget and more development time.

Just saying, Of course people will be hyped for this game and yet disgusted with Sonic 4, There are big differences in how they were made and the like.

So as to stay on topic, I absolutely love what I am seeing in Chemical Plant zone, the music remix sounds awesome, and every new look at a level is looking amazing. Also the Red rings (obviously) are making a return! I can't wait to see what collecting them will do. :D

Last edited:
Get the fuck back to Retro. I realize the game has problems - and honestly, the Classic segments seem a bit lacking - but your constant bitching about how the game doesn't live up to your idealized notion of what the perfect Sonic game is has got to be some of the most contrived bullshit I've seen on these forums. LOOK MA I CAN GENERALIZE TOO

I love you so much for this post. SO MUCH.

*sigh* Remember when we all just played Sonic game and didn't complain about little things such as EYE COLOR? yeah me neither.

*sigh* Remember when we all just played Sonic game and didn't complain about little things such as EYE COLOR? yeah me neither.
I remember back when people didn't make stupid-ass generalizations and exaggerations of an entire group based on one of the most minor and insignificant complaints ever made by them in desperate attempts to prove a point that deals with faulty logic.

There's something on a UK site about preordering the PC version of Sonic Generations for 17.99 pounds or something.
http://www.game.co.uk/Games/PC-Games-and-Downloads/Party-Mini-Games/Sonic-Generations/~r355408/?s=sonic+generations
I don't know if this means anything though. But a price attached seems interesting to me.

Oh yeah, mentions "88 days to go" that may be worth considering.

I remember back when people didn't make stupid-ass generalizations and exaggerations of an entire group based on one of the most minor and insignificant complaints ever made by them in desperate attempts to prove a point that deals with faulty logic.

oh kyasarin, you're so aggressive <3

City Escape has me hyped. Consider me sold. The classic gameplay doesn't seem too shallow from what I remember of the demo, it felt like a genesis game plastered in beautiful 3D. Heck, all I hated is how short Green Hill Zone was.

There's something on a UK site about preordering the PC version of Sonic Generations for 17.99 pounds or something.
http://www.game.co.uk/Games/PC-Games-and-Downloads/Party-Mini-Games/Sonic-Generations/~r355408/?s=sonic+generations
I don't know if this means anything though. But a price attached seems interesting to me.

Oh yeah, mentions "88 days to go" that may be worth considering.

PC version? If I remember Sega never confirmed PC version, that site´s gonna be in trouble if they´ll sell game which doesn´t exist.

They haven't, but it has been hinted and that's the point. Why put a price up for it if it isn't coming out? The Uncharted 3 thing didn't have a price on it (if I remember correctly) so why would this if it isn't out for it?
Remember the Steam registry of the Sonic Generations Beta?

Well, I don't want to plunge us into a fan war, but from what I'm observing (and really, the way you worded this post makes it seem really silly) one of the main reasons that people have had to shoot back at me when I complain about gameplay is how Sonic 4 was touted as a return to the Genesis gameplay. The one thing that should be counted on all qualities is how well your game plays. Visuals make up a game's experience, yes. But that's it. Are we really waiting on the game more for the mind blowing visuals moreso than the gameplay itself? No. That is as every bit as shallow as that sounds. We may as well be vouching for Sega to push for a Sonic movie if the only thing they'll push to do best is their CG. And your point about Generations having not only better, but MORE development time really begs the question of why the Retro gameplay is mediocre.

Am I being a gameplay Nazi? I sure as hell am. One of the main things that threw people off about Sonic 4 was the gameplay itself, but now just because we have awesome graphics and a few decent remixes in a rather lackluster soundtrack (considering Senoue is getting to riff to his heart's desire, thus making old school Sonic music sound more like the Leit Motif of Mega Man X) and they fixed uncurling, this gameplay is all of a sudden tolerable? Bullshit.

And let's not forget the structure of our experience:

-Genesis Era: Green Hill, Chemical Plant, and Sky Sanctuary
--Bosses: Metal Sonic, Death Egg

-Adventure Era: Speed Highway, City Escape, Seaside Hill
--Bosses: Shadow the Hedgehog, Perfect Chaos

-Modern Era: Crisis City, Spagonia's Rooftop Run, Planet Wisp
--Bosses: Silver the Hedgehog, Egg Dragoon

-Mega Drive (considering we have Red Rings, this may be our Sonic Simulator, and considering the Through the Ages video we MIGHT have a chance at better levels.)
--Time Eater

What I would have taken:
-Zones: Green Hill, Chemical Plant, Sky Sanctuary, Red Mountain (or Lost World), City Escape (since it is the iconic moment from that game, though I'd rather Pyramid Cave and Adventure's Speed Highway being the only City stage), Bingo Highway, Flame Core, Holoska, and Aquarium Park(though I guess I'm fine with Planet Wisp).

--Bosses: Save the Character Battles (save for Metal Sonic) for the other acts you seem to have to squeeze into the game. Robotnik needs more presence here.

This whole gameplay argument also has a firm hand and hand hold with the Sonic fan meetup at Sega with Aaron holding the Q & A session of what problems they had with Sonic 4. You know, now that I think about it it has me curious about how Sammybeany feels about this whole thing.

Look, this probably seems like the best game ever to you guys, but Iizuka-san forbid that I demand a better, spectacular game to make up for 13 years of constant mediocrity ever since the first Adventure hit the Dreamcast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back