Tortured Planet v9 (scmrtf_TorturedPlanet-v9.wad)

Status
Not open for further replies.
That might be true. But if my memory is correct, Fawfulfan establishes in the Space Walk levels that the blue texture is used for an instant death, where as the red is only deadly if touched.

Okay, so apparently Spacewalk Zone Act 2 sigsev'd while the auto gravity flipping machines from ERZ try to flip you after you are sent sky high via a hell load of red springs. As soon as the gravity tries to shift while you're in the outer space segment right after those red springs, SRB2 crashes. It happened to me 5 times. Coincidence? I think not... Unless you're going to fix this, it will be impossible to complete act 2. And trust me, I'm getting sick of going through a 6-10 minute long Act 1, just to work myself 7-8 minutes into Act 2 so the game can crash. An issue like this in inexcusable...

Okay, so apparently Spacewalk Zone Act 2 sigsev'd while the auto gravity flipping machines from ERZ try to flip you after you are sent sky high via a hell load of red springs. As soon as the gravity tries to shift while you're in the outer space segment right after those red springs, SRB2 crashes. It happened to me 5 times. Coincidence? I think not... Unless you're going to fix this, it will be impossible to complete act 2. And trust me, I'm getting sick of going through a 6-10 minute long Act 1, just to work myself 7-8 minutes into Act 2 so the game can crash. An issue like this in inexcusable...
That's most peculiar...it doesn't crash on my machine. I have never once SIGSEGV'd on SZ2, but it seems as though a lot of people are having problems. This level seems to be awfully fickle, choosing to crash on some machines and running fine on others.

However, you may rest assured that Spacewalk Zone is going to get some MAJOR changes. I hope to render some areas of both levels utterly unrecognizable from the way they were in the original version. With any luck, these modifications will fall heavily on areas which previously made your machine crash, and will make it so that these areas can run properly.

Then change it in both. It looks hideous.

I will seriously consider that. But modifications to Spacewalk Zone and Alien Armageddon Zone are pretty far off...I'm overhauling the levels in order (with the exception of the multiplayer levels, which I have gotten out of the way already...they were in such a horrid state that I couldn't wait to work on them).

By the way, I've now finished overhauling Eruption Conduit Zone. Here are the improvements:

ECZ1:
*New areas have been added onto both the start and the end of the level.
*A few areas have been widened or lengthened to lessen the cramped feeling of the level.
*The lava is now really lava.
*Very slight texture modifications.

ECZ2:
*The level is now quite a bit longer...a fairly lengthy couple of areas have been added to the end. Also, one of these areas passes by an earlier section of the level, so players in the early area can see the new area and vise versa (but you can't cross over between the areas).
*Some enemies have been changed around a bit (still the same types of enemies, but in different places). Notably, the Detons in the alarm hall are now much easier to run from.
*The PolyObject at the beginning has been removed in favor of a much cooler gimmick. I'm not telling you what it is, though...you'll have to wait until the release to find out.
*The lava is now really lava, and it is now consistently transparent.
*Very slight texture modifications.

ECZ3:
*More scenery and on-stage objects.
*Some texture modifications.
*Light level reduced slightly to make the lava look brighter by comparison.
*Lava looks much cooler now.
*More rings.
*Glitches fixed.

I'm now working on DDZ...and I have big plans for it!

Last edited:
Will you revamp all levels for 3.0 or do you save some for the next versions?
Every level will be modified in some way...most of them profoundly. This is why 3.0 will take a long time to come out.

However, there will likely still be a 4.0, in which I go back and overhaul whatever parts are still not that great. I'm determined to make Tortured Planet as good as it can be.

What map numbers are acts 1 and 2 of spacewalk zone?

I want to take a look at those in Doombuilder for my own learning purposes. (Mainly, how did you make the level appear limitless? Doesn't it need a defining barrier of some sort?)

It does. And you can just look at ERZ3. It's only the clever use of sky flats and a super-short thok barrier. After all, you do have a copy of srb2.srb named srb2.wad, don't you?

BlazeFan1, all you have to do to make the rooms appear "limitless" is set the floor and ceiling height of the control sector equal to that of the floor height of the room, and set both the floor and ceiling flats of the control sector to F_SKY1.

And in case you still want to know, Spacewalk Zone is MAP22 and MAP23 (the boss battle is MAP24). But you actually could have looked that up in Tortured Planet's MAINCFG lump.

Not to mention the fact that most people don't choose to listen to the MIDI tunes, so they wouldn't even HEAR the custom music.
That's not true. If you select a music slot that has only a MIDI, it will automatically play the MIDI file when it can't find an OGG.

Mystic Realm actually originally planned to have MIDI music before AJ added that stuff into music.dta directly. I would not have used OGG music otherwise.

That's not true. If you select a music slot that has only a MIDI, it will automatically play the MIDI file when it can't find an OGG.
*facepalm*

Oh hey guys, here's a new update. Drowned Downtown Zone is going to lose a little bit of its ugliness. Sadly, it's still using the icky DCZ textures, but they're more varied now (far fewer rooms with identical wall textures/floor and ceiling flats). Also, I've gotten a little creative with the sector-based scenery:

10fqdrn.png

Sadly, that guy must have gotten a pretty violent Game Over.

Last edited:
*facepalm*

Oh hey guys, here's a new update. Drowned Downtown Zone is going to lose a little bit of its ugliness. Sadly, it's still using the icky DCZ textures, but they're more varied now (far fewer rooms with identical wall textures/floor and ceiling flats). Also, I've gotten a little creative with the sector-based scenery:

10fqdrn.png

Sadly, that guy must have gotten a pretty violent Game Over.
Now THATS an idea! Did you draw an outline of that and give it the texture "GREYWALL"?

well, i cant wait to play this once i get srb2. (i switched windows, and it hasent been downloaded yet. idk if there is a windows 7 srb2 out yet)

-------------------------------------------------
call to the shadows and create chaos

Now THATS an idea! Did you draw an outline of that and give it the texture "GREYWALL"?
It's "GRYWALL", and that's a texture, not a flat. I used XMSFLR02. But essentially, yes, you've got the idea.

Actually, I've improved the chalk outline since I posted that screenshot. It's now more realistically sized (it was too big in relation to the characters before), and it has been made thinner in places.

Other things to look out for in the new version of Drowned Downtown Zone are trash cans, orange traffic cones, roadblocks, billboards, signs hanging off buildings, and fire hydrants (one of which is spewing water, and can be used for a huge vertical boost).

Also, SRB2 already works on Windows 7...it's just that it can be temperamental sometimes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back