Tortured Planet v9 (scmrtf_TorturedPlanet-v9.wad)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know what? I have absolutely no idea why FSZ2 doesn't show up in the Coop level select. Could it have something to do with the fact that it replaces Blue Mountain?

And I'll see if I can do anything else about reducing the lag...but surely you guys can at least appreciate that there was some improvement.

Sector merging helps increase framerate at all times, not just when the sectors are nearby. Sector merging won't magically cure the framerate in situations where it's awful, but it can make the difference between "a tad laggy" and "just fine". Just remember when doing this that it can make editing the stage later a bit more difficult, as you frequently need to demerge the sectors to edit the level.
Okay, I guess I was wrong. But that disadvantage--difficulty in making changes to heavily merged sectors--is why I use sector merging sparingly. As I continue to edit levels, however, I may do a bit more of it.

Last edited:
Your welcome. On another note, if your mod plans on using the Level Select, it should have "Levelselect = 1" in the header as well if it doesn't already.

Thanks, but I already have that. And I also have "TimeAttack = 1" in all the headers too, so you guys can set some records.

Incidentally, you will have to contend with a VERY interesting sector-based enemy in the upcoming version of Spacewalk Zone. As of now, he doesn't do much, but I'm considering ways in which I might make him more dangerous. Certainly he is going to be an unexpected cameo.

Last edited:
That's it, I'm not tip-toeing around this any more. You have great potential, I will admit that. The problem with large portions of TP is that you have just been building and building. You have done minimal (if any) in the delete department. What I mean by this is that you have been putting good effort on top of crap. You have left issues to sit to which people have made many suggestions as how to fix them.

You have also made some problems worse. SWZ went from being a chore, to being an out right pain. I can not even justify some of the changes made to some levels. You took what you had that was workable, or even already good, and you shoved more shit in (Example: Snowcap Nimbus, Gritty Columns, and, dare I say it, Liftoff Gantry).

Also, this mod alone has had the people I told about this game calling me an idiot for thinking it was any good. I tell them I have noting to do with the production of this mod, and they tell me to try putting my hand at it, to which I tell them hell no.

If I need to translate that last part, they want ME to try and tear down and rebuild what YOU built in the first place. I have made a point of not mentioning these thing till now, but today, one of them told me that I should just take the foundation you built this on (the premise, like I said, is good), and start from that, then release.

DO I EVEN HAVE TO TELL YOU HOW MUCH OF AN ASSHOLE THAT MAKES ME FELL LIKE? I have no intention of steeling anything, certainly not this. But my companions have been telling me to put my 0 experience hand at this. They know I have never designed a single level, let alone a set of them, and they still think that I should try this.
I have also been told by that same group that they have been thinking of coming here and signing up so they can tell you how they fell, in their own words (let me put it this way, my remark that made you uncomfortable? That's light weight to what they want to say. I won't repeat their words, for obvious reasons).
Personal opinion: drag some of your real life friends in and have them give you their opinions. Then take their advice, and apply it as necessary. This is a good practice, as real friends will tell you what they think you have, and not tone it down.

Hey buddy. You're an asshole. No one cares about your melodramatic irl bullshit or your apparently paper-thin psyche.

If you have problems, state them. Whatever the hell you're doing right now is just retarded.

Hey buddy. You're an asshole. No one cares about your melodramatic irl bullshit or your apparently paper-thin psyche.

If you have problems, state them. Whatever the hell you're doing right now is just retarded.

Now, his last 3 paragraphs may be too personal on his end, but he's right; All Fawfulfan does is EXPANDEXPANDEXPAND and rarely does he ever FIX. Fawfulfan has potential, and knows a lot about mapmaking, but he certainly isn't putting that effort effectively into this mod. He just tries to dump the crap under slightly-better-but-still-lame crap. He can never scrap a thing. Hell, I'd scrap Spacewalk, Drowned Downtown, Flume Shaft, Alien Armageddon, and the whole multiplayer division as a whole. Liftoff Gantry is the only decent Zone here, IMHO. I think all the others are just "meh" or terrible, though some can be saved, I suppose. Simply put, I dislike this mod, and while it technically got better, it just feels that little bit better.

Say hello to the next Bigboi!

Anyways, still a pretty meh mod...

He can never scrap a thing. Hell, I'd scrap Spacewalk, Drowned Downtown, Flume Shaft, Alien Armageddon, and the whole multiplayer division as a whole.

The only thing that I would be comfortable with having scrapped altogether is Spacewalk. Fume Shaft Act 1 is great aside from the lag in the fan room, and I personally love the latest Drowned Downtown. Can't comment on the multiplayer- I don't play the competitive modes.

Fume Shaft 2 should probably be redone entirely, as with a good chunk of Alien Armageddon.

Geez, it's really called FUME? Is this some typo or something? Fume is gas and FLUME is artificial channels of water, which are mostly what this level is :/

(Speaking of, a lot of these names are awful too)

lolflamewar

It's right that he didn't delete anything, an issue I already mentioned, but saying that he made levels worse by expanding them is bullshit, sorry. Virtually none of the changes he made were bad, more like the other way around. Give him some time, he already said that he's not done with fixing it yet. In the meantime, give specific criticism on what you want to be changed, then he can actually change it.

Last edited:
Now, his last 3 paragraphs may be too personal on his end, but he's right; All Fawfulfan does is EXPANDEXPANDEXPAND and rarely does he ever FIX. Fawfulfan has potential, and knows a lot about mapmaking, but he certainly isn't putting that effort effectively into this mod. He just tries to dump the crap under slightly-better-but-still-lame crap. He can never scrap a thing.

It's true...I have a hard time scrapping stuff. But that's because I firmly believe that some of it could genuinely be better, and I'm not ready to give up on it just yet. Yes, some of the levels are a mess, but I seriously think that at least most of it can be untangled. Another big reason I've been building new paths and leaving old ones in is to combat linearity in my levels, which I view as one of this mod's consistent flaws. Think of the crap that I don't get rid of as placeholders, until I can think of something better to replace them with.

Additionally, I've actually done some replacing, albeit nowhere near as much as building new stuff. In v3.0, I did considerably more restructuring to FSZ2 than alternate-path-making.

There isn't going to be a whole lot of scrapping in v4.0 either, but there will be a small amount. I have entirely replaced at least one of the random space junk rooms in Spacewalk Zone. But now I know that you guys really want more scrapping, I'll make a mental note to do more replacing in future versions. I'm not completely starting over any levels, though--IMO, the only level in Tortured Planet that was bad enough to warrant a complete scrapping was Rocket Rampage Zone. I did that in v3.0, and while the new version of RRZ still isn't that great, I think it's a big improvement over the utter mess that it replaced.

Personal opinion: drag some of your real life friends in and have them give you their opinions. Then take their advice, and apply it as necessary. This is a good practice, as real friends will tell you what they think you have, and not tone it down.
Every friend and family member I've showed Tortured Planet to likes it. In fact, I often find myself explaining to THEM what's wrong with the levels. I'm not saying this proves my levels are good--far from it, in fact; you guys have seen me agree with your complaints on many occasions--I'm saying this means that my friends are not the right people to get advice from. They don't have enough experience with SRB2 to know what distinguishes a good level from a crappy one. And, yes, they may be more reluctant to criticize me than your friends are, so that doesn't help either.

Geez, it's really called FUME? Is this some typo or something? Fume is gas and FLUME is artificial channels of water, which are mostly what this level is :/

Geez, do you really think I'd be that stupid? It's not a typo. The name comes from all the toxic chemicals flooding the mines and caves, which are undoubtedly releasing an objectionable and noxious odor, not helped by all those fans in Act 2. Also, name ONE artificial channel of water in Fume Shaft Zone.

(Speaking of, a lot of these names are awful too)

Got any better ideas?

Last edited:
fawfulfan said:
It's true...I have a hard time scrapping stuff. But that's because I firmly believe that some of it could genuinely be better, and I'm not ready to give up on it just yet. Yes, some of the levels are a mess, but I seriously think that at least most of it can be untangled. Another big reason I've been building new paths and leaving old ones in is to combat linearity in my levels, which I view as one of this mod's consistent flaws.

Oh my, that's exactly what I do. I don't like to scrap anything for the same reason you stated, and that's probably why my level pack hasn't gotten very far.

Virtually none of the changes he made were bad, more like the other way around.
Countering someone's opinion with your own? what
Adding stuff to the levels really doesn't matter when most of the time the design is just (in my opinion) boring or flat-out horrible -- it just makes it drag on even longer if you never liked it to begin with. I don't see how you can just "fix" Drowned Downtown in a way other than scrapping the current design entirely.

Last edited:
It's not countering his opinion, it's giving mine.

Adding stuff to the levels really doesn't matter when most of the time the design is just (in my opinion) boring or flat-out horrible. I don't see how you can just "fix" Drowned Downtown in a way other than scrapping the current design entirely.
Note that nobody ever implied that adding new paths was considered fixing. I also didn't find the new additions "flat-out horrible". We really can't argue over something that is based purely on our own (differing) opinions.

Note that nobody ever implied that adding new paths was considered fixing.
That wasn't my point. I was referring to D00D64's comment on the added content, and I wasn't saying that the additions were "flat-out horrible".

In the new version, there's hardly any notable changes. The levels still feel pretty much the same, but with a few little paths added to certain areas.
One thing that's recurring is the lack of texture variation, mainly in the earlier levels. GFZROCK and THZROCK are seen all over the place.

Adding stuff to the levels really doesn't matter when most of the time the design is just (in my opinion) boring or flat-out horrible -- it just makes it drag on even longer if you never liked it to begin with. I don't see how you can just "fix" Drowned Downtown in a way other than scrapping the current design entirely.
You don't seem to realize the way in which I am adding stuff on. Yes, a few of the levels are longer now, but the majority of the additions are actually path splits, not path lengthening. This means that the level has less linearity, not more length.

And have you tried the new version of Drowned Downtown? I doubt it's up to your standards, but surely you must admit that it has improved.

It's slightly better, but I haven no idea why you still haven't changed the areas where you go underwater and navigate the buildings. It's cramped and very easy to get lost in circles.
The underwater areas are still generally slow and mainly walking to the next Spring, and the ability to see past the barriers to other areas is confusing and messy.
The level still desperately needs texture variation -- I just can't stand seeing the same ugly brick texture on pretty much each and every wall.

The level needs more on-land areas with hazardous platforming.

Thanks for the input! I'm adding that to the huge library of feedback which I'm storing in a text file in my SRB2 folder.

And v4.0 will have those underwater street mazes changed around a bit. You're not the first one to complain about that, so I got right on it. I don't really know what to do about the texture variation, though; I'm not that great at custom textures, and the DCZ set isn't that big.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back