Sonic 1 & 2 Taxman/Stealth Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Why buy a legal copy when I can just download an illegal one?]
Is pretty much what your entire argument boils down to.

It's one thing if you don't want to rebuy Sonic 1; Lord knows Sega's rereleased the game for every game-playing device under the sun, so you're certainly not obligated to rebuy it. That argument, I can agree with. But to justify not rebuying it because you can commit copyright infringement is a laughable argument at best, and frankly one I'm not willing to entertain on the board.

Just got it and posting my initial thoughts.

Looks great, sounds great. I really can hear the difference in music and sound (maybe a non-musician wouldn't notice?). The constant 60FPS is nice too.

Starting my normal speed run play in Act 1, I immediately notice that they have fixed a small glitch/bug. Jumping up underneath the monitor at the start of GHZ 1 in order to get a small boost is no longer possible. I also noticed that some of the enemy start positions are different, as I ran into an sdurf that I normally wouldn't have. Not that either of these two things affect the quality of the port, but I thought should point them out anyways, as they are changes from the original.

Just got to GHZ Act 3. Awesome port so far.
EDIT: Robotnik's Ball in GHZ3 doesn't flicker D: I loved that flicker.
EDIT: I'm just gonna post all the gameplay changes I notice here, because I have no life:

Green Hill Zone Act 1:
- Can't jump up under monitor at start for speed boost
- Final two sdurfs have different initial positioning
Green Hill Zone Act 2:
- First two sdurfs have different initial positioning
Green Hill Zone Act 3:
- Red spring on bottom path hits Sonic back with less force. However, just like the Genesis version, after touching the spring Sonic will still roll back to the initial platform of the Act unharmed, as long as no buttons are pressed.
- Cannot attack Robotnik until he releases ball and chain

Marble Zone Act 1
- Sonic can no longer roll into blocks to push them
Marble Zone Act 2
- While riding a green block over lava, Sonic can no longer duck to pass through walls/purple bricks.
- Sonic will no longer do the awkward "air walk jump" when jumping after pressing against a one-brick-width wall.
Marble Zone Act 3
- New crumbling bricks before boss

Spring Yard Zone Act 1
- After touching the first red spring in the stage, Sonic can no longer jump off the wall in order to reach the hidden platform behind him. Player is forced instead to roll off wall.

Special Stage (All)
- Regarding the destructible color-changing blocks - Sonic can fit through a gap one block wide. In the Genesis version a gap had to be two blocks wide.
Special Stage 3 *MAJOR CHANGE*
- In the Genesis version of this stage, if you pressed nothing at all, Sonic would end up at the center of the stage where the emerald is. In the Taxman port, Sonic will instead touch a GOAL (Aw man...can't use my old trick). EDIT: I found that holding left immediately and not letting go will get Sonic to the center where the emerald is.)

--------

That's probably all for now, leaving to ACEN soon!

Last edited:
Update - Debug mode finds include Super Sonic, Super Tails, Super Knuckes, elemental shields, and more.

Confirmation for Sonic 3 & Knuckles makeover?

Yeah, I may have to back pedal. Apparently there's a full Sonic 3 mode for the game (gain 7 emeralds, Sonic 3 shields, etc). Hmm.

Have some pretty high ranks from random first time time attack. My name in game center is phlipawalker, add me! :P

Green Hill Zone Act 1
Rank #4
0'23"85

Green Hill Zone Act 2
Rank #1
0'17"93

Labyrinth Zone Act 3
Rank 1
1'50"85

Total Time Attack
Rank 4
28'44"03

Last edited:
Just got the fastest legitimate time on
Green Hill Zone Act 1!
0'22"65

Hope they get rid of the illegitimate times >=[

Old news, but new to me. The Sonic 2 remake was released a few months ago. This remake includes a full Hidden Palace Zone, apparently with a boss. There is also a boss mode. Haven't played it yet, considering getting it later today.

Last edited:
Damn, nice run. Still trying to buy this and Sonic 1 on my Android phone, but I'm currently unable to use my credit card. Was wondering if anybody knows how to buy apps using the phone's money instead?

EDIT: Just went with buying a Google Play card and got to buy the Sonic 1 app. When the game actually starts, suddenly everything is slow. Which I find weird, because I have downloaded the Sonic CD demo before and it ran just fine. I have no idea if there's a way to work around with the app being slow. Does anybody knows?

Last edited:
Why the fuck aren't they just bundling this in a Steam package

I'd probably buy into this if it wasn't on a shitty gaming platform

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back