Status
Not open for further replies.

Flame

WR 102
Talk about a blast from the past. It's back, and recreated in Lua a decade later!

Announcement Trailer

attachment.php

SRB2 Bomberman (SRB2B)
Version: vB-001
Twitter
Youtube?

Intro
Bomberman. You plant bombs, you move in a 4 directional maze-like-pattern (Usually) and collect power-ups to cause more destruction. Simple, right? Well, that's about it.

Features:
  1. Bomb Planting - Spin Button
  2. Bomb Pickup (Default ability) - Spin Button
  3. Bomb Kicking (Default Ability)
  4. Bomb Explosions (with proper scoring!)
  5. Respawning Blocks
  6. Jumping w/ Double Jump
  7. Bomber Powerups
    • Rubber Bombs* - These bombs bounce randomly when they hit the ground! (mapthingnum = 7003)
    • Power Bombs - These bombs have max firepower! (mapthingnum = 7004)
    • Landmine Bombs - These bombs get planted in the ground. Does not explode immediately, but if someone steps over this bomb, it will explode! (mapthingnum = 7005)
    • Remote Bombs* - These bombs explode with a button press instead of a normal fuse timer! (mapthingnum = 7006)
    • Spike Bombs - These bombs have explosions that continue through walls instead of stopping at the first wall it hits! (mapthingnum = 7007)
    • Tower Bombs* - These bombs spawn in a tower from where your player is standing!
    • Line Bombs* - These bombs spawn in a line in front of where your character is facing.
    • Question Panel - Gives you one of the ailments listed below.
      • Bomberrhea - Ailment that makes the player continuously sets bombs when possible.
      • Bombstipation - Ailment that makes the player unable to set bombs for a limited time.
      • Reverse Controls - Ailment that makes the player have Reversed Controls.
      • Unstoppable Controls* - Ailment that makes the player is unable to stop moving in the direction they're facing.
      • Max Fire - Ailment that makes your bomb explode with MAX firepower!
      • Min Fire - Ailment that makes your bomb explode with MINIMUM firepower!
      • Fast Fuse Bomb - Ailment that makes your bombs explode faster.
      • Slow Fuse Bomb - Ailment that makes your bombs explode slower.
  8. Console commands- Power up panel spawn chance
    • bombup - Adjusts the spawn chance for the "Bomb up" panel; This panel increases your bomb planting count by 1.
    • fireup - Adjusts the spawn chance for the "Fire up" panel; This panel increases your firepower count by 1.
    • powerbomb - Adjusts the spawn chance for the "Power Bomb" powerup
    • rubberbomb* - Adjusts the spawn chance for the "Rubber Bomb" powerup
    • spikebomb - Adjusts the spawn chance for the "Spike Bomb" powerup
    • landmine - Adjusts the spawn chance for the "Landmine bomb"
    • remotebomb* - Adjusts the spawn chance for the "Remote bomb" powerup
    • towerbomb* - Adjusts the spawn chance for the "Tower Bomb" powerup
    • linebomb* - Adjusts the spawn chance for the "Line Bomb" powerup
    • question - Adjusts the spawn chance for the "Question Panel" which gives you one of the ailments listed above.
  9. Console commands- Other
    • bcom_help - Displays helpful information to the player as it pertains to the mod
    • bcom_control <value>* - Adjust your player controls. See below in Control tidbits*
    • bcom_cam[enable/height/dist/etc.] <value> - Adjust your camera. See below in Camera control tidbits
  10. Enemies*
    • Ballom (mapthingnum = 7030) has no thinker, but if you would like to see it, it's mapthing number is 7030.
  11. Custom Levels!
  12. Territory Control Gametype*
  13. Custom Music! (tunes ## as it pertains to the following map##)
    • MAP44 - Super Bomberman 3 (SNES): Battle theme
    • MAP45 - Bomberman 64: Battle Theme
    • MAP46 - Bomberman 64: The Second Attack: Battle theme

Control tidbits*
This wad has a variety of control styles to choose from. Use the bcom_control command to your advantage.
Here's the Syntax:
bcom_control <value>
  • strict - Player is hard restricted to 4 directional movement (Up/down/left/right) with no wiggleroom.
  • fixed - Player is soft restricted to 4 directional movement (Up/down/left/right) with little wiggleroom to move diagonally (Up-right/up-left/etc.)
  • dynamic - Player is not restricted to 4 directional movement and can move freely.
This feature in particular did not make it into initial release or is incomplete due to time constraints or other issues that came up during development Please refer to the "Issues, problems, bugs?" section of this post

Camera Control tidbits
This mod comes equipped with a custom camera that differs from the Vanilla SRB2 Camera, on top of other camera control features.
Here's the Syntax:
bcom_cam[enable/height/dist/etc.] <value>
  • enable <on/off> - Enables the use of the custom Bomber Camera in 2D mode. 'Enabled' by default.
  • height <value> - Adjusts the camera height in relation to the player. Set to '400' by default.
  • dist <value> - Adjusts the camera distance in relation to the player. Set to '300' by default.
  • advlook <yes/no> - If you're moving in a certain direction, the camera will turn to look ahead of you. Set to 'Yes' by default.
  • aimlook <yes/no> - The camera will try to follow your player along the Z axis. If disabled, it will use your bound "look up"/"look down" key. Set to 'Yes' by default.

Level tidbits
There exists both small and large size variants of the current list of stages. Larger stages are ideal for larger netgames up to 8 players, while smaller stages are ideal for netgames with 4 or fewer players. For accessibility, these stages are internally even numbered while the smaller variants are odd numbered.

Issues, problems, bugs?
  • NO CONTROLLER SUPPORT YET. Proper up/down/left/right movement is restricted to keyboard controls while in a 2D "Type of Level" mode.
  • No 3D Map Support Yet. A majority of maps in this pack are geared towards a 2D "Type of Level" mode. While there is some functionality in 3D mode, there are no 3D maps as of yet.
  • Camera starts to flicker uncontrollably? No problem! This is likely due to the experimental aimlook. Just open the console and type in bcom_camaimlook no to disable the camera for the time being. If disabled, it will use your bound "look up"/"look down" key. I'm looking to improve the camera functionality in future releases.
  • Through the various development tests I've done, the only thing I can confirm is that differing control options in 2D mode causes synchronization trouble. As much as I would love to have different control schemes for accessibility, I have had to comment out planned control options for now and made it 1 control scheme for all players. Code exists for this and I'm open to suggestions on how to make this better in a future release.
  • Otherwise, I haven't seen any other functional problems that would cause the code to suddenly stop working. However, if you do find anything that seems out of the ordinary, please report it. Any information, including what you were doing at the time of a crash (If one were to occur) helps me in finding out the source of the problem.

FAQ
Feeling overwhelmed? Wondering what you can or can't modify? Open your console with the '~` button and type in bcom_help!
  • bcom_help - Displays helpful information to the player as it pertains to the mod

I've written out instructions over on my Discord which you can view immediately upon joining!
I've also received permission from the judges to use our own prefix. Please prefix your maps with Bo_* (Bomberman) in the filename if you intend for your stage to be a Bomberman stage.

EXTRAS
vB-001
  • Initial Release
This mod uses some momentum mechanics to help better your gameplay!
I would love to recruit some talented Coders and Mappers! At the moment, it's mainly me reviving this project.
I'm open to ideas and suggestions. I would love to see your talents too! Come join the Discord (Below)
Twitter - In the event you don't follow me on Twitter, consider giving me a follow! I've been posting frequent updates as it pertains to the Bomberman SRB2 mod. I don't often retweet anything unless if it pertains specifically to my interests, or something I really enjoy.

Credits
  • These following people helped me with understanding Lua from the get-go when I was new and returning to the community a year ago; Even to this day! Honestly, without these individuals, this Mod probably wouldn't see a release. Thank you so much for being so patient with me throughout the process! I cannot thank the following people enough.
    • Monster Iestyn
    • SwitchKaze
    • Lach
    • Lat'
    • LJ Sonic
    • Golden
    • Ikkarou Tatsuru
    • Rapidgame7
    • CobaltBW
  • Legacy Individuals for the Mod.
    • SRB2-Playah - Maps and Graphics from 2010
    • Turtle Man - Original C code asset usage
  • Playtesters - Individuals that helped with code Playtests when I needed and provided great feedback.
    • Zipper
    • Chrispy
    • Rapidgame7

attachment.php

* Indicates feature that did not make it into initial release or is incomplete due to time constraints or other issues that came up during development. Graphics/Code exists for this, however this is planned for a future release.

Supporters / CoAuthors

Attachments

• srb20062.png
    srb20062.png
    129.1 KB · Views: 1,306
  • srb20054.png
    srb20054.png
    159.5 KB · Views: 1,150
  • srb20055.png
    srb20055.png
    106.5 KB · Views: 1,114
  • srb20122.gif
    srb20122.gif
    2.9 MB · Views: 1,303
  • srb20125.gif
    srb20125.gif
    4.2 MB · Views: 1,332
  • srb20142.gif
    srb20142.gif
    4.5 MB · Views: 1,143
  • bomberman.png
    bomberman.png
    29.7 KB · Views: 15,103
  • srb20174.gif
    srb20174.gif
    4.6 MB · Views: 12,765
  • srb20173.gif
    srb20173.gif
    4.3 MB · Views: 796
  • srb20177.gif
    srb20177.gif
    3.4 MB · Views: 1,006
  • srb20178.gif
    srb20178.gif
    1.7 MB · Views: 1,245
  • cameralkupdn.jpg
    cameralkupdn.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 923
Last edited:
This all checks out to me! I missed out on playing this in the original release, so I'm glad it's been recreated with Lua that's for sure.

Custom maps made for this gametype will use the prefix "Bo_".

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a great mod, and all, but it was literally hard to figure out how to use the bcom_cam command.

---------- Post added at 11:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:27 AM ----------

This is a great mod, and all, but it was literally hard to figure out how to use the bcom_cam command.

and for some reason i can't use the bcom_control command.

How come when walking around, you instantly slow down when trying to go in other directions rather than walking horizontally or vertically?

Attachments

• srb20044.gif
    7.4 MB · Views: 616
I should point out that this mod messes with your camera settings for vanilla SRB2 if you try to run it then switch back to vanilla afterwards:

attachment.php

Attachments

• srb20175.gif
    srb20175.gif
    5.6 MB · Views: 9,904
Doo doo doo, doo, doo, doo doo doo doo...

**proceeds to continue mimicing the Bomberman theme**

Played this for awhile with a couple friends. Thoughts:

- Would like to be able to move diagonally normally. Doesn’t feel very good to slow to a crawl when moving diagonally or when turning corners.
- Jumping is way too powerful. You can basically just jump away from everything, so the only thing that’s even remotely a threat is the giant bomb, and even then it’s super easy to just jump away.

We had fun for a bit, but it got boring quickly since it was basically just jumping around until the time ended.

Played this for awhile with a couple friends. Thoughts:

- Would like to be able to move diagonally normally. Doesn’t feel very good to slow to a crawl when moving diagonally or when turning corners.
- Jumping is way too powerful. You can basically just jump away from everything, so the only thing that’s even remotely a threat is the giant bomb, and even then it’s super easy to just jump away.

We had fun for a bit, but it got boring quickly since it was basically just jumping around until the time ended.

So What Your Saying Is For This Mod To Be More Fun You Either Remove The Jump Button From Your Controls or The Developer Would Have To Turn Down The Jump Hight To a Way Lower Level

Let me say this outright, I appreciate the feedback I'm receiving in this thread.

I'm aware that the Bomberman Mod will modify your camera settings. This is partially my fault and my method of trying to mitigate the player disabling the Bomberman Camera in favor of the Vanilla SRB2 camera with the bcom_camenable or other bcom_cam* commands. I'll be updating this in the next release along with other minor bugfixes that I've been made aware about after release.

The default setting for the camera height is normally 25. You may change this back with the following command.
Code:
cam_height 25

tealsummernights said:
I appreciate this feedback. The controls I've been working on and improving since early in development. During development, I found that differing control options in 2D mode can cause synchronization trouble. I've mentioned this in my original post, but I have an idea for how I may be able to make this work in a future release.
On jumping, I've heard comments ranging from the option to turn off jumping, to nerfing jumping, to removing the option to jump entirely. I'm currently looking at an option to toggle the ability to jump within a match to give more of a "classic" Bomberman feel.

I've also updated my initial post for those who want to create custom maps for this modification as well.

Attachments

• srb20035.gif
    srb20035.gif
    704.8 KB · Views: 748
So What Your Saying Is For This Mod To Be More Fun You Either Remove The Jump Button From Your Controls or The Developer Would Have To Turn Down The Jump Hight To a Way Lower Level

I specifically did not propose a solution because when I give feedback I often have this Neil Gaiman quote in the back of my head: "Remember: when people tell you something's wrong or doesn't work for them, they are almost always right. When they tell you exactly what they think is wrong and how to fix it, they are almost always wrong."

I trust that Flame will come up with a good solution on their own.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back