• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Tyson Hesse Sonic (Done.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueM

So as you may or may not remember, I've started and posted quite things on a this thread here
https://mb.srb2.org/showthread.php?t=46961

And it was about making a mod that looked questionably like what it was intended to be.
(though it kind of looked more like a bootleg Toei/Junio Sonic to be fair.)

I was left quite unsatisfied and rather disappointed of how it looked overall
(Pretty sure many were too.)

That said, I've basically spent the entire year practicing and improving my skills with many hindrances along the way trying to get it as accurate
I can make it.
P1IEVPj.png

Now I did try to keep it as close as I can to how it looks on the model sheet
as well as using/referencing other images from certain frames I came across.
and keeping the proportions as close as I can get them to be
while also not straying too far from how SRB2's sprite style is handled.

But one thing I can say is that im 100% certain that the way that these sprites look
can easily make one go -

"It's Hesse Sonic!"

Compared to when I first started.
Well...Now anyway...

(Critique is welcome.)

This looks really good. As long as his animations are as bouncy and energetic as it is in the source material, I'm all for it

Something about these sprites is off-putting to me and I can't quite put my finger on it. The back angle's definitely messed up and it might be the face for the other angles?

Something about these sprites is off-putting to me and I can't quite put my finger on it. The back angle's definitely messed up and it might be the face for the other angles?
His side sprite needs a bit of touching up. His ear is a bit too high compared to the other frames and he has a bit too much forehead I think. I think his head should slope a bit more to his top quill.

Anyway, I decided to just go ahead and make my own corrections and adjustments. I hope I am not imposing by doing this:
Original:
vdBdv7X.png

Corrections:
hSkcMhv.png

Comparison GIF:
pc4Ae99.gif

Now, I mostly just adjusted the shape of the quills to sharpen and reposition them. I made the ears pointier (like Hesse's artwork, at least his Mania animations), and I made the positions of them more consistent between the frames. I also reworked most of his side facing head by lowering the top of his head and bringing it out to his quills as I stated before. I also brought his eyes and muzzle back some to make him facing properly, and it just looks better that way. I also did lots of other little adjustments to things like his nose in the 3/4 front facing shot, and I cleaned up his shoe buckles.

The biggest change I made was adding an extra layer of shading on his head to both match the standard SRB2 style, and to just add more depth to it. I know Hesse's art doesn't really have shading, but since SRB2 is a 3D game, I figure it might as well have as much as is standard, and it really helps the back 3/4 view's quills a ton as well.

I hope all of this isn't a problem. I am a fan of Hesse's art, and I just want to help out to make sure this looks as good as it possibly could. The back sprite is already perfect, so I made no adjustments there (other than the couple of pixels of his shoe buckles), and the foundation was already mostly here, I just did some minor tweaks.

I hope the rest of the sprites look this good! I think it will be awesome to have a Junio inspired Sonic that mashes more with the vanilla aesthetic.

Last edited:
His side sprite needs a bit of touching up. His ear is a bit too high compared to the other frames and he has a bit too much forehead I think. I think his head should slope a bit more to his top quill.

Anyway, I decided to just go ahead and make my own corrections and adjustments. I hope I am not imposing by doing this:
Original:
vdBdv7X.png

Corrections:
hSkcMhv.png

Comparison GIF:
pc4Ae99.gif

Now, I mostly just adjusted the shape of the quills to sharpen and reposition them. I made the ears pointier (like Hesse's artwork, at least his Mania animations), and I made the positions of them more consistent between the frames. I also reworked most of his side facing head by lowering the top of his head and bringing it out to his quills as I stated before. I also brought his eyes and muzzle back some to make him facing properly, and it just looks better that way. I also did lots of other little adjustments to things like his nose in the 3/4 front facing shot, and I cleaned up his shoe buckles.

The biggest change I made was adding an extra layer of shading on his head to both match the standard SRB2 style, and to just add more depth to it. I know Hesse's art doesn't really have shading, but since SRB2 is a 3D game, I figure it might as well have as much as is standard, and it really helps the back 3/4 view's quills a ton as well.

I hope all of this isn't a problem. I am a fan of Hesse's art, and I just want to help out to make sure this looks as good as it possibly could. The back sprite is already perfect, so I made no adjustments there (other than the couple of pixels of his shoe buckles), and the foundation was already mostly here, I just did some minor tweaks.

I hope the rest of the sprites look this good! I think it will be awesome to have a Junio inspired Sonic that mashes more with the vanilla aesthetic.

YO!!!

You shouldn't have gone out of your way to do this!!!
good?
These tweaks are amazing and are completely fine with me!
thank you! Though something did feel a tad bit weird about how I had it all handled.

I'll be sure to credit you and your adjustments when I release the mod! :)

This AMAZING, Can't wait till it comes out. (I'm also going to make an Archie Sonic mod so I going to start working once I get my windows 10 laptop)

Man I am seeing so many good sprites being showed off around the message board recently so at this rate I gotta see if there is any way I can get into modding because it seems like a lot of people are having a lot of good ideas so I gotta start making some mods of my own before someone else gets to it.
Though yeah great job dude.

so as you may or may not remember, i've started and posted quite things on a this thread here
https://mb.srb2.org/showthread.php?t=46961

and it was about making a mod that looked questionably like what it was intended to be.
(though it kind of looked more like a bootleg toei/junio sonic to be fair.)

i was left quite unsatisfied and rather disappointed of how it looked overall
(pretty sure many were too.)

that said, i've basically spent the entire year practicing and improving my skills with many hindrances along the way trying to get it as accurate
i can make it.
p1ievpj.png

now i did try to keep it as close as i can to how it looks on the model sheet
as well as using/referencing other images from certain frames i came across.
And keeping the proportions as close as i can get them to be
while also not straying too far from how srb2's sprite style is handled.

But one thing i can say is that im 100% certain that the way that these sprites look
can easily make one go -

"it's hesse sonic!"

compared to when i first started.
Well...now anyway...

(critique is welcome.)

oooooh booooi
cannot wait!!!!!!!!

this stay alive?

---------- Post added at 10:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:51 PM ----------

Original:
vdBdv7X.png

Corrections:
hSkcMhv.png

Comparison GIF:
pc4Ae99.gif

oye mejor usa el traductor,ese cambio que hicistes quedo increible,se que tienes un proyecto del sonic del sonic adventure 2 pero cuando tengas tiempo puedas hacer el sonic de la pelicula,es que nadie lo a echo(en la version normal claro)asi que.........lo puedes hacer un dia de estos?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back