• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Mighty and Ray ability thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sir Thoksalot

What the thok
I can't think of any abilities I can give Mighty. I also can't think of an ability for Ray's super form. Any ideas?

maybe you could give might his megamix move set? (shield spawning/storing and insta shield) and give super ray freeflying

Mighty should probably have his Mania moveset+Chaotix moveset (Hammer Drop, Spindash, Walljump). Shield storage might be a bit excessive, but eh.

I agree with The Real Inferno. Sticking with the canon moveset would work for Mighty

Honestly, just having the hammer drop and invulnerability to damage when curled up is all we really need for Mighty. If he has that, the wall jump could make him a little bit too OP.

I'd say probably partial invulnerability while curled up as opposed to proper invincibility. Reflect small projectiles, uncurl and leap backwards when touching spikes, but still take damage from melee attacks and projectiles like missiles or large lasers.

As for the hammer drop, it works great in 2D but I wonder how well it would work in 3D? Perhaps give it a small radius in which it damages nearby enemies when you hit the ground, and give it a small amount of bounce potential when you land on an enemy or monitor? That way, It can function as both an attack and a mobility tool, and gives Mighty the ability to both gain height and lose it very quickly.

As for Ray, I think his glide from Mania could work fine in 3D probably, but to make him stand out more perhaps he could recover from knockback in midair by being able to chain it into another glide? His glide is more difficult to use than Tails' flight and Knuckles' glide, so I don't think it would be too overpowered.

maybe you could give might his megamix move set? (shield spawning/storing and insta shield) and give super ray freeflying
I've been thinking of an egg reverie-Esque super ability for ray as opposed to free flying. The dash you can do if you press left or right and a jump button at the same time

Ray would have gliding identical to this, only with a quicker speed penalty when rising and a small low-grav flutter move at the end if you're still holding jump.

Mighty would have the same defensive mechanics, but no Hammer Drop or Spindash. Instead, I think Mighty would have a charge move like Whirl to reflect his strength and the Rebound Dash to reference his wallkicking ability.

Maybe Ray would be like Fang, but with Mania-esque gliding instead of a bounce, and a slingshot instead of a pop-gun. Given he's a squirrel, he shouldn't roll (Tails probably is a cyborg so he's fine), so instead I decided he should have a ranged attack that makes sense for him.

Mighty should have a new move, called Shell State. When pressing Jump in the air, you enter this state, and become invulnerable to projectiles. In turn, it can break through breakable floors and walls, and deals 2 damage on contact instead of 1. As a tradeoff, it stops you from changing your trajectory, cannot be canceled, and you lose it upon hitting the ground. In addition, Mighty would have no air maneuver move and would be significantly slower than even Tails, but would have a higher influence from rolling (this assumes that in a future update rolling increases the effect of momentum instead of enabling it).; He would have a spindash, but it would be weak. This way the character can have his defensive capabilities without breaking the game.

Mighty's hammer drop from Sonic Mania would work well in SRB2's environment if you make it destroy bustable floors and give it a close range shockwave hitbox. Another candidate would be Mighty's wall jump ability from Chaotix.

Even just the hammer drop would be interesting, as it would make him the only character outside of the vanilla six that can bust floors and spin through small openings. Combining this with a wall jump for vertical ascension would allow him to explore both spin character pathways and no-spin character pathways.

Last edited:
as it would make him the only character outside of the vanilla six that can bust floors and spin through small openings.

I'd like to point out that there's already a character released that can do exactly this. That'd be OVA Knuckles.

Regardless, your point still stands. Allowing Mighty to walljump, AND bust floors via Hammer Drop would make him interesting and diverse in path choices, with only Knuckles' routes being blocked off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back