Sonic Generations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently finished Sonic Generations. I admit that I've had zero interest in some of the more recent games (Unleashed onward) and haven't tried them, but I think this is one of the better games to have come out in a long while. My only complaints are some level choices and bosses. A longer game would have been appreciated, but seeing as there's plenty of content to return to it's alright with me.
I think the levels are excellent, even if moving slower with classic Sonic is a little strange.
Sega also skipped out on some Classic Sonic representation, I believe. There are very few classic stages, which frankly are some of the most exciting to see remade in 3D. We only have levels from Sonic 1, 2, & 3 and not CD & S&K. I realize Sky Sanctuary is part of S3&K, but the standalone cartridge of S&K did not have that, nor was that game represented in Sonic Generations. And while S3&K is pretty much the intended incarnation of the two games, I think it's a little sad to see that the game didn't get it's own little recognition. And neither did any sort of rival battle with Knuckles. He was Sonic's original rival after all, wasn't he? Seeing a classic Knuckles would have also just been plain cool.

As for modern levels, the level choices make me scratch my head a little. Radical Speedway is an understandable choice... City Escape definitely deserved its spot. But when it comes to Seaside hill, why? There were more interesting levels to pick from Sonic Heroes like Hang Castle or something. Or even being on the Death Egg (whatever it was called in SH). And it's interesting to see that they're not wanting people to forget Sonic '06 with the inclusion of Crisis City. Rooftop Run/Spagonia was hardly a memorable level. But to be fair Unleashed didn't really have memorable levels except for Eggmanland. Still, something like Dragon Road would have been cool since there's already quite a few city levels. I never played Sonic Colors, but that stage just frustrated me. And yes, there's no real reason, but I simply found myself disliking the general theme that went on in that stage.

Still, these are just nitpicks. I am enjoying Gens a lot. Hopefully DLC brings more classic stages.

Sega also skipped out on some Classic Sonic representation, I believe. There are very few classic stages, which frankly are some of the most exciting to see remade in 3D. We only have levels from Sonic 1, 2, & 3 and not CD & S&K. I realize Sky Sanctuary is part of S3&K, but the standalone cartridge of S&K did not have that, nor was that game represented in Sonic Generations.
Um... Sky Sanctuary is from S&K. It's Sonic 3 that doesn't have representation.

As for modern levels, the level choices make me scratch my head a little. Radical Speedway is an understandable choice... City Escape definitely deserved its spot.
Wait, what version did you play? Radical Highway and City Escape are mutually exclusive (3DS and HD respectively)...

The rest of the post has levels from the HD version, so I'm guessing he played the HD version. I'm guessing he was trying to say that even though Radical Highway was a memorable level, City Escape topped all over it and Sega made the right choice including it in the HD version.

Yes, Radical Highway is in the 3DS version.

Yeah, I meant Speed Highway. Sorry.

Um... Sky Sanctuary is from S&K. It's Sonic 3 that doesn't have representation.
Ah. It's easy to get all these levels mixed up. It's just as bad that Sonic 3 doesn't have any representation then.

I didn't see that one yet, they were talking about classic in night levels, but they we're having trouble with the bars you swing from, and stuff like that

Sonic Generations for the consoles is pretty cool. But, I have a problem with the handheld release. I feel like it's almost impossible to even 'S' Rank some acts and bosses. Especially for the Rival bosses, I can't help to feel when I am facing Shadow or Silver, I feel like I am playing Sonic Rivals. I can understand racing against Metal Sonic but for Shadow and Silver, it doesn't seem right. I wish they thought out the game play for the handheld version better.

As said in the past, it's clear that unlike the main version, the majority of the 3DS version was a cash-in title with no love put into it. It has it's good points, but it's nowhere near the awesomeness that is the main version.

Last edited:
Bumping a thread but I'd like to say I've been the one putting Classic in the Night levels :3

Anyone miss/remember me? Most likely neither :P

(Edit2: SonicT gracefully changed my name from "Hyper Fanboy Shadic X" to this new one, just for a heads up, lol)

Oh yeah, the road is shiny because the way Generations handles reflection mapping is different than Unleashed; same goes for the model format itself actually. Basically, it's been assumed (and almost confirmed at this point) that Unleashed on-the-fly generated tangent normals for the level geometry, which is used for bump mapping and (at least I think) affects reflection maps. The latter is probably wrong, but if anything the reflectivity can be toned down later, or the addition of a normal map will make the road look like, well, a glossy road, like it was intended to before~

EDIT: In case it wasn't implied, Generations doesn't generate tangent normals on the fly, and since no (correct) tangent normals exist in the model data, no bump maps exist!

And fun fact: something in the model data is apparently missing; it's probably a flag, but it basically tells Generations "this model accepts dynamic shadows." Well, because that seems to not be in the terrain models as of yet, dynamic shadows such as Sonic's shadow don't cast onto the terrain, but DO cast onto objects. This also applies for "stencil shadows" (probably the wrong term but whatever) that cast onto dynamic objects not casting onto the terrain, hence the levels not having any correct shadow data other than ambient occlusion.

For the dumb: Terrain doesn't like environmental effects yet. :V

Last edited:
Bumping a thread but I'd like to say I've been the one putting Classic in the Night levels :3

(Edit2: SonicT gracefully changed my name from "Hyper Fanboy Shadic X" to this new one, just for a heads up, lol)

Oh yeah, the road is shiny because the way Generations handles reflection mapping is different than Unleashed; same goes for the model format itself actually. Basically, it's been assumed (and almost confirmed at this point) that Unleashed on-the-fly generated tangent normals for the level geometry, which is used for bump mapping and (at least I think) affects reflection maps. The latter is probably wrong, but if anything the reflectivity can be toned down later, or the addition of a normal map will make the road look like, well, a glossy road, like it was intended to before~

EDIT: In case it wasn't implied, Generations doesn't generate tangent normals on the fly, and since no (correct) tangent normals exist in the model data, no bump maps exist!

And fun fact: something in the model data is apparently missing; it's probably a flag, but it basically tells Generations "this model accepts dynamic shadows." Well, because that seems to not be in the terrain models as of yet, dynamic shadows such as Sonic's shadow don't cast onto the terrain, but DO cast onto objects. This also applies for "stencil shadows" (probably the wrong term but whatever) that cast onto dynamic objects not casting onto the terrain, hence the levels not having any correct shadow data other than ambient occlusion.

Well, I did like the lighting in Unleashed better.

I heard that more unleashed data was in the demo, if someone still has it you can look in ther for the missing data

Well, I did like the lighting in Unleashed better.

protip: when you quote the post above you, don't include EVERYTHING especially if your response is pretty short ;P

Anyway, Unleashed lighting settings can EASILY be replicated in Generations. It's the same engine after all; Generations just used different default settings. The gamma settings changed between games though, presumably.

also Sandopolis meets City:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnJ_46OGKzA

Sometimes I don't know whether to laugh or be afraid of character hacks for Sonic generations like these:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICrOMgC3HHk&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdVWIGi8I4E&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFG4KLn9TxU&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLrf1SFbTgI&feature=related

But anyways, this actually seems like a great sonic title, sure they could have had more Classic Sonic bosses instead of just having Metal Sonic and the Sonic 2 Death Egg Mech, but it still looks like a pretty fun game.

Sometimes I don't know whether to laugh or be afraid of character hacks for Sonic generations like these:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICrOMgC3HHk&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdVWIGi8I4E&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFG4KLn9TxU&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLrf1SFbTgI&feature=related

But anyways, this actually seems like a great sonic title, sure they could have had more Classic Sonic bosses instead of just having Metal Sonic and the Sonic 2 Death Egg Mech, but it still looks like a pretty fun game.

You should be scared, Check this one out: Time for a change of pace

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back