SRB2 Heroes (Real superpower of TEAMWORK!)

Alright, I gotta say I love the maps and the concepts of the entire map pack. As someone who had Heros as their first 3d Sonic game I could say you captured the feel of the game perfectly in your level design. What keeps me from saying that in full though is your lack of a couple things.

Seeing as MoTDSpork has already released a couple things that are heroes related (not on the mb), as much as I hate to admit it, those versions are actually far superior to what was released here and I was somewhat disapointed when I didn't get what those offered. Knuckles' punch ability has been removed as has Omega's flamethrower, all characters can spindash (even Big, which REALLY looks weird considering he doesn't have a spin animation) and Tails has no ring bombs, not only that but Sonic could really have had a rocket accel instead of a spindash which only required a couple fixes from the JeckDuo wad.

Another thing is that the abilities themselves aren't the same as the original (which let me just say that I'm not saying that that's a bad thing), the way you designed the levels is perfectly fine at accomodating that, however this presents at least one major issue when using the speed character: they're completely useless. They have no advantages in terms of speed, the sections that "require" the homing attack can easily be bypassed by the Fly and Power characters, and the game doesn't force you to switch between the 3 so the team mechanic really feels more like an afterthought. Heck, the level design, while still maintaining a team aspect, is still rather centered around all three characters getting around individually.

For all this map pack does right and did EXTREMELY well when it came out, the team mechanic doesn't work as well as I had hoped. the new animations for Omega look awesome, even if the sprites can look a bit flat sometimes, but a lot of things just stand out to me and are a little disapointing when it comes down to it. I don't know how hard it would be to do but making the fly characters only fly to a specific height and be more accomodating for horizontal movement in the air while still having a limit to how far you can go like the game would be for the best. I've already made a glide that works like Heroes' glide and it's not even that hard to make, it's just making the animations work with it that's the main issue.

Overall, great map pack, I would like to see the problems I've had fixed, but it's still pretty dang awesome to see someone put all this effort into making something like this!

Well, he wanted to make extra abilities for the characters for me, but I didnt want them to be too overpower. I wanted to keep it classic in terms of abilities just like in the real SRB2. But I ll talk to Tripel and see what we can do. And about the spin dash... yeah, I want all characters to have it, so they dont have any problems with the dash panels.
Will keep you updated if something happens

I really liked the first version of this, this version has its ups and downs.

addition-wise the monitor thing, the backgrounds and the inclusion of teamwork are great, the spriting is mixed and the voice clips are alright if out-of-place.

I have two suggestions here: keeping V1 downloadable since it's a really different and good fun it its own way.

Second is just a touch: what if Omega's and Big's Mindash was much faster than the default (say 25 to 28) and the maxdash not much higher (say 32 to 35) to give him a pseudo-attack since he doesn't spin anyway?

Last edited:
STHE123O, I love the teams, don't get me wrong, but there is one nitpick that i have with its mechanic.

There's not enough variety between the characters. I'm not kidding, that's my biggest nitpick, besides Amy and Espio being incapable of lightdashing across rings, there's not much difference when it comes to everyone else. All flying characters seem to have the same flight style, power characters do the same thing as each other, there's not enough variety in these. What makes me want to play with Team Dark if Team Sonic can do the exact same thing? The only answer here is the aesthetics. There's no "Rouge has holdfly" or "Omega has a special multiple badnik killing attack". They all practically play the same, If anyone really wanted to play version 1 with these teams, just stick to the speed characters. They can kill multiple enemies in midair, and have the light dash to keep them moving. Flying? Power? Just useful for shortcuts. tl;dr version: The teams and characters need more variety between them so I have a challenge when playing anyone other than Team Sonic.

I hate to shit on what my best friend Motd did, but I'm really rooting for Tripel to make what we can say is, "The true heroes formula in SRB2". I just hope he'll notice some of the comments/suggestions posted here so this mod can skyrocket into fame.

There's not enough variety between the characters
I'm really rooting for Tripel to make what we can say is, "The true heroes formula in SRB2".
Now wait a damn second here. No variety between teams is the true Heroes formula. The only team with any variety at all was Chaotix, and I don't think I have to tell anyone here that Chaotix's "variety" just made them play even worse. If they all play the same he's emulating Heroes correctly!

Now, whether or not he should emulate Heroes correctly on this is another matter, but Sonic Heroes had basically no character variety whatsoever.

Alright guys I am talking with Tripel to implement the team sistem in the mod... so, you can expect something good!

Now wait a damn second here. No variety between teams is the true Heroes formula. The only team with any variety at all was Chaotix, and I don't think I have to tell anyone here that Chaotix's "variety" just made them play even worse.

Hooold up just a second, even if there wasn't neccisarily a big difference between the gameplay styles of all the characters, there was certainly some variety in the movesets of each team and what they could do. Sonic had a kick, a wall jump, and Blue Tornado, Tails had dummy ring bombs, and Knuckles could beat the crap out of everything with punches, Team Dark didn't deviate from this much but they still changed the animations to fit more with the characters but that's kind of to be expected since every other game had Shadow as a copy of Sonic.

Team Rose and Team Chaotix had quite a few different moves that, while underutilized, were still neat concepts and weren't entirely just reskins of the other two. Amy could swing her hammer around to beat up enemies, a tornado attack that slowly moved in the direction you were facing rather than staying stationary, and a hover if you held the jump button down, she also couldn't use the wall jump everyone else had and they... sort of took this into consideration, less than I would've liked. Espio's tornado turned him invisible, leaving Charmy and Vector behind and making it so enemies don't attack you and his shurikens bounced all over the place and slightly homed in on enemies. Cream had cheese who would immediately lock onto enemies much like advance 2 and attack, and Charmy, while it was pretty useless, had a sting attack that still allowed him to defend himself in case you lost Vector and Espio.

While I agree, mechanically most of the moves functioned the same, the animations helped make them feel different enough to make it feel like each team was at least somewhat unique, even if their more unique abilities were way more underutilized than they should've been. Here, each and every character feels the same, with only their formation specific abilities giving them anything to differentiate them by.

Last edited:
Yeah, even if it's not too major, Team Chaotix and Team Rose will have a few diffrent moves. Espio, for example, can homing attack near enemies and fall switch. Sonic and Shadow can also kick slide, while the other speed characters can't.

Wait, did someone say SHADOW?
t5i4mrbckbovp39zg.jpg

since i know this is going to replace what i made....can we still keep the hud logos that are in the current version?

You mean this?
rpcg32hpdh4xx64zg.jpg

Even if i think that's something STHE123O would have to decide, I prefer the ones Yacker made:
f5t29xat319jysnzg.jpg

They look more original (if you told me the above was ripped from heroes, i would believe you) and they feel more like they belong in SRB2
Plus, looking at the old ones compared to the new ones, it looks like I would have to scale down the heads more than they already are so they fit in the black space e.e

Honestly, it wasnt ripped from heroes. i watched Lat' sprite it from scratch in a skype call.

One thing you could to to make the ones you prefer better, it to ...edit the shading, it seems off. aswell as the "tails" they are very small compared to the ones Lat' made. (and the original for that matter)

Last edited:
I actually do like the emblems that are in the current build, that combined with the faces put over top would look rather nice, I think.

I second that, it wouldn't be hard to overlay the heads over the front, rather than putting it "in" the emblems

My main beef with the old sprites is this:
46par3l557omgvnzg.jpg

The current heads don't fit, and they're already pretty down-scaled (60-70% most sprites, too much lower and you'll have a group of blue pixels nobody would be able to tell is Sonic's head! Not even mentioning the HUD would look disproportionate).
They also have a weird black outline, so if those 2 things were fixed I would have no problem.

58glkl60mba7dd4zg.jpg

And after deciding to look at heroes.... yeah. I probably should've looked sooner before saying that those look ripped from heroes.

Edit: I just noticed my HUD is backwards... huh.

I'd prefer to see something similar to how sonic classic heroes handled it's hud.
maxresdefault.jpg

The heads just rotate to main position as the character changed.

Having a 3 headed multicolored thing covering 1/6th of the screen is just distracting.

I dont think the HUD is distracting at ALL, and I like it either way to be honest. And yeah,it seems to be backwards...

I prefer the ones Yacker made

I would beg to differ; the ones Lat' sprited have more depth to the colouring and look better, Yacker's ones look like quick pixel art with not much thought put into them. I do agree with you on the heads fitting thing, but are you not in possession of an image editor? I think you should just modify the current HUD to fit the heads better. Honestly, I prefer the old HUD myself just because it's more detailed and looks like it had more work put into it.

For what ever reason, Slade's messing up the colors on mine when imported (that or the palette reference on the wiki has lied to me). I'll look into fixing that later, but for now, I figured I'd post the Speed with the proper colors, as it looks a bit better. No power or flying yet as those are actually color-swapped by slade, unfortunately. I just wanted to put this here as I noticed some people were complaining about the shading, but Slade's removal of colors kind of ruined that a bit. I'd be the first to admit that Lat's look really good, though.
AD0Zykl.png

Last edited:

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back