Tortured Planet v10.5

Eggrock (ERZ) and Hydrocity (HCZ) are made up of two words combined into one word as well, and they're generally abbreviated the same.

Greenflower and Hydrocity I'll concede, but Egg Rock Zone has always been two words as far as I can remember. It's formatted as such in the level header.

Nevermind the false analogy- are you threatening me?

Not a threat. The "funeral" thing was a reference to Spacewalk Zone being scrapped.

Last edited:
Yo Fawfulfan! This is a very good level pack along with the Mystic Realm level pack. You're level designs are super duper AWESOME! :) :) :) They are a totally thumbs up designs. I do expect to see more CTF Levels into this level pack. But, keep up the very good work.

Once Hinote gets updated, I'm downloading this and dumping SRB2 2.0 completely. This was my main reason for holding onto the older release, simply because there was no other way to play Tortured Planet.

I'm very happy you updated this level pack, Fawful. It's one of few that stood the test of time, and it still stands up to the main game in length and quality. I can't wait to play this with 2.1's updated physics.

oBS7Rzg.png

Something isn't right here...

Also, you die once you reach the end.

I'll have to look into that tomorrow...

EDIT: So yeah, it turns out that Minecart Mode is no longer supported, which is why the mine monorail is broken. I've posted 10.5 to fix it. Although it still LOOKS broken in the new build, at least it doesn't kill the player at the end.

Last edited:
Im not one of those people that reports bugs, but i renember someone on my SRB2 Tortured Planet server that said that you should fix the purple slime, i don`t know how was called, you should fix the purple slime still hurting you when you touch it, i just don`t know, at the next day i got brainwashed

Extra note: Forget this extra note i did, i made the soundtrack for everybone, especially for Fawfulfan

Last edited:
Im not one of those people that reports bugs, but i renember someone on my SRB2 Tortured Planet server that said that you should fix the purple slime, i don`t know how was called, you should fix the purple slime still hurting you when you touch it, i just don`t know, at the next day i got brainwashed

Extra note: Maybe a soundtrack?
He means the purple liquid ? That's Damaging liquid just like from SRB2 2.0 ..

So after finally playing through the whole of this again, I came across two more "improvements" that are anything but:
  • The firing patterns of Trapgoyles should be apparent before they can hit the player. Hiding them in places where the player is likely to overlook them is cheap design. Besides, just like with the Spring Shells and the circular flamethrowers, the Trapgoyles were implemented so lazily that they hardly make a difference at all. There's already enough clutter in these levels. Don't add more.
  • Did you just change the slime behavior in Fume Shaft without ever testing it? For one thing, the extra life hidden in the slime at the beginning of the first act is now inaccessible, and I can imagine that this is true for other items as well. For another, adding the bouncy physics to the slime without removing the damage effect is a ridiculously bad idea that combines the worst features of both. Not only does it defeat the whole purpose of having bouncy slime in the first place, since the player is automatically hurt upon entering, cutting off all his momentum, but escaping the slime is now incredibly annoying and borderline impossible. By the time the bouncing has stopped and I'm finally able to move again, the temporary invincibility has almost worn off. So when I'm inevitably hurt again, I'm thrown back to where I started and have to repeat the whole process all over. Honestly, just killing the player right away is more merciful than this.

I guess since I'm posting in this thread again, I might as well address Tyrannic's reply (which I can't quote because it consisted mainly of quotes itself): I said that Fawfulfan started with a bunch of linear, overlong, boring and empty levels, not that they are still that way (well, they're obviously still overlong, but they're much less linear, boring and empty). The comment refers to the levels as they were in their original incarnation, aka the levels you can see in the "Tortured Archives". If you haven't unlocked them yet, warp to the maps between MAPC8 and MAPCZ, and you'll see what I was talking about. I'll bet that most of what you like about Tortured Planet isn't yet present in these versions.

Pretty much all the work that Fawfulfan has put into the pack since then was aimed at making the levels more interesting than these skeletal versions. He added tons of alternate paths and hidden items, fleshed out the sections that were devoid of content, added lots of scenery and pretty much retextured everything. And I'm not denying he succeeded in his goal - the levels are definitely much more interesting now than they were back then. The problem is that in fixing the old problems, he also introduced a bunch of new ones: The texturing is now so all over the place that it's often disorienting and sometimes even uglier than it was originally. Many of the new gimmicks, while theoretically interesting, were implemented in a very sloppy way that causes them to be boring or frustrating. The sector detail is often obtrusive and adds clutter, making the layout more confusing and sometimes making it hard to go anywhere without bumping into something. As boring as the original levels were, at least they had some semblance of clarity in their design. Over time, that clarity has been buried under mountains over mountains of new content that was added without much thought as to how it affects the levels overall.

I'm not denying that there's good stuff in this pack. But I'd rather see a few ideas implemented with a lot of care than a lot of ideas implemented with very little care. Tortured Planet's levels might appear impressive at first glance just because there's so much stuff in them, but once the novelty wears off, all the design issues become apparent.

I already mention that i made the Soundtrack, but im not giving the link, im giving the link to Fawfulfan so he can add it, if he wants

I already mention that i made the Soundtrack, but im not giving the link, im giving the link to Fawfulfan so he can add it, if he wants

Um, seriously? Is this a joke? First of all, Tortured Planet already has a soundtrack, Charybdizs made it. Second of all, the link you gave me is Charybdizs's soundtrack, you didn't even bother to change the author tags on the music files.

A successful plagiarist will not just give someone else's work verbatim to a person who is already using it.

Um, seriously? Is this a joke? First of all, Tortured Planet already has a soundtrack, Charybdizs made it. Second of all, the link you gave me is Charybdizs's soundtrack, you didn't even bother to change the author tags on the music files.

A successful plagiarist will not just give someone else's work verbatim to a person who is already using it.

Fine, then im sorry, i didint know that before

The way I understood it, what dany777 means by "soundtrack" is that he ripped the tracks from the music WAD and put them in a ZIP in mp3/ogg format, so that people can listen to it separately from Tortured Planet. I don't think he meant to claim ownership.

I was originally going to play through the entire pack and give a detailed review of it, but as far as I've seen, you show no interest in "fixing" this pack rather than just adding a gimmick here and there or taking care of bugs. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's how I see it.

If it turns out that I am in-fact wrong, and you plan to overhaul this bungle of a pack, then I'll attempt to add to what needs to be said about it. As of now I'll just stick to reporting any bugs that haven't already been reported whenever I find one.

I guess since I'm posting in this thread again, I might as well address Tyrannic's reply (which I can't quote because it consisted mainly of quotes itself): I said that Fawfulfan started with a bunch of linear, overlong, boring and empty levels, not that they are still that way (well, they're obviously still overlong, but they're much less linear, boring and empty).

Ah, that's what you meant. I thought you meant "he started [the level pack] with a bunch of linear, overlong, boring empty levels [i.e. Sunshine Atoll and Eruption Conduit]".
The archives are indeed of very low quality, I've played them. But I guess they're there for nostalgical purposes only anyway.

I agree with you on the other points too, but I am still of the opinion that this level pack can be very fun when just casually playing through it. Sure, some moments are annoying, but the levels are still decent enough that they are fun IMO. I know that sounds strange, but sometimes I prefer quantity over quality, to be honest.

When I finished Fume Shaft Zone, after beating Eggman and stepping on the button on the animal capsule, I got an error when the level finish screen showed and SRB2 crashed.

So after testing the LevelPack i noticed lots of things :
* Parts of some levels are Extremely Laggy..
* Metal Sonic in SpaceWalk Zone 3 isn't Attacking ..

Here are your answers from the same Level Pack testing:

* There is no way to fix the unnecessary Lags

* Metal Sonic does attack, just not when you're upside down from him

Next Question.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back