• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Other Chen tries to Lua

Status
Not open for further replies.

OtherChen

The other one
Hiya, I'm on break so I'm gonna start a Lua editing thread.

I've made a prototype character inspired by Mario's acrobatic moves in the 3D games. The character select screen used to work, but now it doesn't has been fixed! Thanks DerpyBubblez.

Mario's Moves:
  • Triple Jump: jump three times in a row while running. Doesn't work underwater.
  • High Kick/Swim: press A during a jump to get a little extra height. While underwater, swim upward up to five times.
  • Wall Jump: press A while jumping into a wall to bounce off of it. Doesn't work underwater.
  • Dive Attack: press B while running or jumping to dive and slide in the direction you're moving. If you're holding A, the dive will not cancel your upward momentum, allowing you to "dive" upward.
  • Crouch: hold B without pressing WASD to stop quickly, even while sliding.
  • Tornado Jump: while crouching, press A to leap into the air, then hold A to spin slowly to earth.
  • To detonate the Armageddon Shield: hold Custom 1/2/3 while jumping, then press B.

FINAL EDIT: Project retired!
I hereby release my final PK3 file to the hands of the SRB2 community. Anyone may use the file in game, including online. Anyone may use or modify the file (e.g. to fix bugs or add sprites) provided my name stays in the credits.
My final version is mario_finalproto.pk3. Any modifications must be distributed with a different filename.

Attachments

• mario-p1.pk3
    248.4 KB · Views: 316
  • crawl.gif
    crawl.gif
    2.2 MB · Views: 792
  • springjump.gif
    springjump.gif
    1.4 MB · Views: 550
  • triplejump.gif
    triplejump.gif
    4.7 MB · Views: 524
  • walljump.gif
    walljump.gif
    4.1 MB · Views: 586
  • wallscale.gif
    wallscale.gif
    3.1 MB · Views: 495
  • mario-finalproto.pk3
    428.2 KB · Views: 343
Last edited:
This is pretty fun to mess around with. While it is still just a prototype, I hope you won't mind me providing a bit of feedback.

The Dive
While it's a serviceable way of dealing with enemies on the ground it feels a bit useless in the air, mostly due to it briefly stopping your air momentum with no added benefit like slightly extra height or more momentum than you would get from falling normally. I'm currently not 100% on how I feel about the slide, but I'd argue that it contributes to the feel of useless of diving in the air. Outside of that, here's some interesting things
attachment.php

When using it on a spring, you still land with the slide (also shield abilities can be used out of it).
attachment.php

It also cancels on walls.

The Triple Jump
While conceptually cool and being able to just hold jump to perform it was a godsend, it currently seems a bit jank. It's to be expected of a prototype I suppose so it feels a tad redundant to say, however, I'll explain anyway. The second jump not being higher than the first (or if it is, barely so) feels alien given the source, even more so when the 3rd jump refuses to come out and you're constantly repeating "second" jumps. I understand that you need to be at max speed get the third jump, but the reduced air momentum makes it really weird to get out.
attachment.php

I think that's about it for what I had to say. The wall kick, crawl, and spring jump seemed fine enough as is right now, though the shields can still be used out of a spring jump.
attachment.php

I'm hope you continue working on this, its turning out really fun.
While I'm currently busy spriting for other projects at the moment, I wouldn't mind contributing to this if you're unable to find anyone else by the time I've freed up.

Attachments

• srb20018.gif
    srb20018.gif
    6.6 MB · Views: 3,965
  • srb20015.gif
    srb20015.gif
    4.6 MB · Views: 3,509
  • srb20016.gif
    srb20016.gif
    7.9 MB · Views: 3,628
  • srb20017.gif
    srb20017.gif
    2.5 MB · Views: 3,326
The dive's slide definitely needs to be cancelable and faster in the air, but it's very satisfying to plow through enemies with the slide.

The triple jump often gets interrupted by the little air-stall. Personally I'd remove the hold function and activate the air-stall with either one of the custom buttons or double tapping jump. That hold function's not a perfect solution.

Anyway, it's hilarious how well Tails' swimming and pain frames work for crawling and triple jumping. Mario's definitely janky, stiff and sluggish, but it was fun to play as Tails doing some 3D Mario acrobatics. Do expand it when you have time!

I understand that you need to be at max speed get the third jump
Wait, is that how the triple jump works? I thought it was bugged out because this is a WIP. That definitely needs some sort of explanation.

Also, you can crouch after completing a level.

But yeah, this was actually fun. It'd be nice to see it go all the way.

I originally wanted the dive to not be a means of gaining speed, but it looks like that doesn't work in a Sonic game. For now, I've made the dive speed consistently the same as Mario's max speed (30).
I'll probably extend the slide distance and allow cancelling slide with A.

I'm also doing a few things to the triple jump:
  • Holding A to triple jump was actually a bug. Fix'd.
  • Second jump goes higher.
  • Added a landing sound to help time your jumps.
  • Reduced speed requirement to half of Mario's max speed, instead of like 85%. Now you can triple jump even out of a jump kick.

Crouch after level exit will not be removed.

Attachments

• crouchaaaaaa.gif
    crouchaaaaaa.gif
    6.9 MB · Views: 316
Last edited:
Here's another version.
  • Triple Jump is fixed as per the above post. Mario can also attack enemies from below while Triple Jumping.
  • Running Dive always uses your moving direction. Works at any speed, as long as you're pressing WASD.
  • Jumping Dive always uses your facing direction.
  • Slide Cancel: While sliding, press A to short-hop out of the slide, or B to stop immediately.
  • Tackle: While crawling (WASD), press A to leap in the direction you're moving.
  • Removed the air mobility thing. Now Mario should handle the same as any other character.
  • Fixed shield abilities for realsies.

Known Issues
  • Uncrouching on a slope can force you into "spin" state. Press A to pick yourself up.
  • Mashing buttons while crouched under a gap might kill you. Don't do that!
  • I haven't played through the main story yet, so I haven't tested bosses or any zone past THZ1.

Thoughts/Plans
  • Maybe the landing sound should play only for you, like the triple jump sound does currently.
  • Allow Mario to use the Armageddon shield while holding any custom button. The other shields won't play well with his movement.
  • Console variables to disable some abilities, just for fun.

Attachments

• mario-p2.pk3
    264.6 KB · Views: 249
  • hoops.gif
    hoops.gif
    7.5 MB · Views: 319
Last edited:

Attachments

• srb20445.jpg
    srb20445.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 457
  • srb20448.jpg
    srb20448.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 307
Last edited:
I love this. There are some quirks to this but I can see this being a good base for Mario controls! I don't think triple jumping can work underwater however. Perhaps he's moving too slow for it? https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/652680389646876682/657435043337338900/srb20052.gif

Edit: Also I noticed he can't push spin again to exit dive state. For me it's a force of habit from Mario 64 to press the B button twice to dive and rollout. I know jump does it, but just something I noticed.

Last edited:
I really like this thing, it controls so well and perfectly use triple jumps and dives just feels rewarding. Though i must say i wish you could make it work around the srb2 level design but i see that as a big doubt...

Still, pretty neat!

I'm having a lot of trouble with crouching and crawling, so for now I'll just remove crawling and height-changing altogether. You'll still hold B to "crouch" in place for Spring Jump etc. ...Maybe hold forward to get a running start?

This char isn't meant to replicate any Mario game exactly. It's just my interpretation of a running, jumping, bouncing, flipping, acrobatic Mario, using only two buttons: an "up" button (A/Jump) and a "down" button (B/Spin).
Of course, I also want him to have a chance at keeping up with Sonic and friends, so he should feel lighter and faster than in his own games.

I'll get one or two more prototypes out before break is over. Priority one, now that Mario can no longer crawl under stuff, is to make sliding under stuff just as safe as vanilla spinning.
I've fixed the character select, so it'll be easier to try him out for yourself.

Off-Topic Edit~
Apparently I've gotten several questions about vehicles.wad from the 2.1 days.
Yes it's abandoned, yes you can port it, but this absolute mess of code doesn't deserve a direct port. Please please pleeeeease write it yourself, use functions, name your variables, and all that. This project was written years ago by an immature showoff programmer, and a good port will demand a little more maturity and a lot more time and patience.
If you do get it working, great! Just remember to put OtherChen (that's me) in the credits. I skipped a lot of classes over this thing and I deserve to have my name on it. Thanks~

Last edited:
Still haven't gotten sliding down perfectly, but I feel I've made enough progress to put out a new prototype.

Wall Jump has changed:
  • The wall jump now checks your sprite's facing angle as well as your camera angle. Now, directionchar users can simply point WASD toward a wall to wall jump.
  • Removed the ability to turn around while wall jumping, so the above changes work correctly.
  • Relaxed the anti-wall-climbing measures slightly.
Other changes:
  • Fixed the character select screen.
  • Removed crawling :(
  • Changed the way diving and sliding work, hopefully making it more difficult to die under a gap.
  • Aerial dive auto-cancels after 6 seconds, which should prevent softlocking.
  • Hold CUSTOM 1/2/3 to allow use of the Armageddon shield.
  • Added the following console commands to disable Mario's abilities: cv_nojump, cv_notriple, cv_nowall, cv_nocrouch, cv_nodive
Known issues:
  • You can use other shield abilities by pressing B when you could wall jump.

Attachments

• mario-p3.pk3
    253.8 KB · Views: 181
Last edited:
I think I've done what I can to prevent accidental crushing death while sliding. Remember: don't press A or B while sliding under a gap!
  • Added Mario-style swimming. Press A while jumping to swim upward, up to five times. Wall Jump is now disabled underwater.
  • Refined crouching, allowing it to act as a reliable brake while running or sliding. Remember to let go of WASD first.
  • Added Tornado Jump, replacing all other crouch-jumping moves. While Tornado Jumping, hold A to fall slowly.

I think I'm almost done with scripting this thing. If I have time, I might put a sprite rip together and submit it to releases.
Here's a few abilities I thought of, but ultimately won't add:
  • Ground Pound
  • Side Somersault (only makes sense in 2.1 analog mode)
  • any sort of speed boost, including slide-hopping to increase speed
  • defensive moves, such as blocking attacks with a well-timed crouch
  • anything from my old Paper Mario release, such as hammers

Attachments

• mario-p4.pk3
    255.9 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:
I'm not sure what this weird psuedo-double-jump thing is. Maybe have mid-air spin do a ground pound and reassign dive to mid-air jump

• Aerial dive now goes in WASD direction.
  • Fixed shield abilities again, by removing the little wall-bump thing.
  • Tweaked all ability physics just a bit, and added visual effects.
If anyone's reading, I have some suggestions for Lua functions to patch into the game, based on functions I wrote for this project:
  • P_CanClimbOnWall(mobj, angle, flag): Is there a wall for the object to climb? If angle is nil, check in all directions. If flag is true, ignore walls with the Not Climbable flag.
  • P_GetJoystickDirection(player): returns an angle based on the player's current angle and the joystick/WASD direction currently held. Returns nil if no direction is held.

Attachments

• mario-p5.pk3
    424.1 KB · Views: 178
Last edited:
Not sure if it's supposed to be intentional, but executing Mario's dive right after jumping doesn't really work as a dive and more as a high jump.

Dnmw6r1

This is my final version of this character. I'm starting school again so I won't have time to maintain this project anymore.

Changes:
  • Added a few more cheat cvars to enhance Mario's abilities:
    • cv_triple: Upgrade Triple Jump into a Quad, Quint, or up to 10x Jump.
    • cv_rekick: Allow Mario to High Kick again after wall-jumping.
    • cv_swims: Change the number of times Mario can swim upward. Use -1 for infinite swims.
    • cv_tornado: Upgrade the Tornado Jump to soar even higher while letting go of WASD.
  • Nerfed the Triple Jump slightly.
  • Altered a couple animations to be more friendly for spriters in the future.
  • Added lots of comments. If you decide to continue this project, I've written some design tips and guidelines in the Lua. Happy bug-hunting!

It's been fun programming again after a couple years. I now release my Mario-in-a-fox-suit character to the public; anyone can use and modify the file, which includes spriting, fixing any bugs in my code, custom sounds, all that stuff. Just remember to credit me for the base Lua and the character concept, as well as Nintendo for the character itself. Farewell~

Attachments

• mario-finalproto.pk3
    428.2 KB · Views: 212
Last edited:
This is my final version of this character. I'm starting school again so I won't have time to maintain this project anymore.

I now release my Mario-in-a-fox-suit character to the public
If you really want to release this to the public I'd recommend going through our submissions system instead! Even with the placeholder Tails sprites clearly marking this as a prototype it still plays quite differently to regular SRB2 gameplay thanks to the various Mario abilities and is very much its own character and would be perfectly fine for a release.

I know you're done messing with this, but i've noticed that when using a controller it's near impossible to dive straight forwards, left, right, or back, you can only seem to go northeast northwest southeast and southwest unless you have your stick perfectly alligned to be 100% straight in the direction you want, which makes this nearly unplayable on controllers, which uh kinda funny since all mario games ever need a controller

Changes:
  • Added a few more cheat cvars to enhance Mario's abilities:
    • cv_triple: Upgrade Triple Jump into a Quad, Quint, or up to 10x Jump.
    • cv_rekick: Allow Mario to High Kick again after wall-jumping.
    • cv_swims: Change the number of times Mario can swim upward. Use -1 for infinite swims.
    • cv_tornado: Upgrade the Tornado Jump to soar even higher while letting go of WASD.
  • Nerfed the Triple Jump slightly.
  • Altered a couple animations to be more friendly for spriters in the future.
  • Added lots of comments. If you decide to continue this project, I've written some design tips and guidelines in the Lua. Happy bug-hunting!

It's been fun programming again after a couple years. I now release my Mario-in-a-fox-suit character to the public; anyone can use and modify the file, which includes spriting, fixing any bugs in my code, custom sounds, all that stuff. Just remember to credit me for the base Lua and the character concept, as well as Nintendo for the character itself. Farewell~

Hello, Other Chen. Loved the Mario Tails (Tailless) srb2 I found this January (some call it Blario) on one of the SRB2 servers!

This Mario wad has a great set of moves, a really fantastic moveset representing Mario and his franchise! Especially Super Mario 64, the sm64 triple jump is really fun & smooth to land; The M&L spin jump is also amazing and the wall jump/wall kick is such a great idea, helps skilled play a ton!

I showed your srb2 wad to my friends as a joke since it was Mario in a Tails Fox suit, as you would call it, and they loved it as well. They even edited in the Mario bros with sprites. Mario and Luigi work too well with this.

Good luck on your school work, hope you come back and make another great srb2 wad in the future someday!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back