• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

MotdSpork's Marvelous Thread of not so marvelous things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MotdSpork

Mafia? Zombies? Gold spork?
Hello all, i've been working on a few things now that 2.2 has been released and i'd like to show them off. Please note that they are heavy WIP but the groundwork has been laid down for them.

This is for project SRBMegamix I originally had about 75 percent completed in 2.1, but with 2.2 changing Lua a bit and raising standards for addon makers, I decided to restart from scratch.

This is the new graphic used in the title screen.

goApKf3.png

This is the splashscreen and titlescreen in action. Keep in mind, like I said before, it's a heavy WIP. I need to adjust colors to play nice with SRB2's Palette. I also want the titlescreen to eventually look more like 2.2's ala using a map to show the background while still looking like Megamix.
ao9vIds.gif

These next 3 gifs show off the new boost aura and shockwave ModernSonic will have for the new 2.2 version of "ModernAbilities" I'm working on.
2uGYL2T.gif

This gif shows the boost from further back allowing you to see the shockwave effect better.
B3Or90C.gif

This is for a better view from the side.
FOn8uxM.gif

Let me know what you guys think and suggestions are always appreciated.

Hahaha, SRB2Megamix. I worked on something like that back during the 2.0 days. I was a total novice back then so the results were complete shit. Excited to see more of your project in the future!

It was fun seeing that boost aura get put together piece by piece. I definitely like how much more instant the boost is now compared to 2.1. This time, maybe have Sonic's boost meter very slowly regenerate over time so you're not too reliant on people's leveldesign, or get screwed over by others taking your enemies/rings.

Perhaps you could gain some boost gauge from certain actions like quicksteps, giving it more incentive to be used.

Time for a quick update on ModernSonic. I've added a new boost bar graphic and added ways to get boost energy back.

Rings now follow Sonic when he boosts near them, even if he stops boosting and they're already following him. That way you don't have rings flinging around if you decide to stop boosting with them following you in the first place.
This gif is a bit older, as I didn't have the boost bar implemented yet.
qJ4fYD6.gif

This is the new boost meter as well as showing that you can obtain more energy from killing enemies and collecting rings.
xbCIl6x.gif

This just shows off the speed your boost energy decreases as well as being able to break through spikes while boosting.
ippp3X9.gif

The boost also only protects you from contact with enemies. No more boosting over lava or through other means of harm. Spamming the boost button multiple times also decreases your energy quicker just like in the games.
me1RUtq.gif

It was fun seeing that boost aura get put together piece by piece. I definitely like how much more instant the boost is now compared to 2.1. This time, maybe have Sonic's boost meter very slowly regenerate over time so you're not too reliant on people's leveldesign, or get screwed over by others taking your enemies/rings.

Perhaps you could gain some boost gauge from certain actions like quicksteps, giving it more incentive to be used.

I've been thinking of ways to give the player boost, perhaps I could make some kind of drift function but I'm not sure how that would work in SRB2 since the stages don't accommodate for a drift. Maybe boosting through spikes could also give you a small amount of boost energy, similar to how boosting through breakable objects in Unleashed would give you energy for doing so.

hsqMy9V.gif

The boost meter has been extended but boost energy is lost at a slightly faster rate.

I've been thinking of ways to give the player boost, perhaps I could make some kind of drift function but I'm not sure how that would work in SRB2 since the stages don't accommodate for a drift. Maybe boosting through spikes could also give you a small amount of boost energy, similar to how boosting through breakable objects in Unleashed would give you energy for doing so.

Sure, so long as there's other ways than finite level-dependent resources. That'll increase compatibility with levelpacks and allow people to play around with their ability rather than feel like they're wasting limited resources on having fun/experimenting.

I'd suggest getting a slight recharge while standing still, and getting awarded boost gauge by using abilities you might not otherwise use much, like the Quick Step and slide. That should help his entire moveset come together nicely.

I'd suggest flipping the boost bar's background and "Boost" text to the other side, so that the little "tip" (and text) at the top-left of the bar is moved from the middle-ish of the screen to the top-right of the bar at the peripheral vision/edges of the screen, to obscure less important stuff.

(In Sonic Generations, the "tip" and "Boost" text are at the top-left of the bar, but the bar itself is also at the left side of the screen there. Here, you've currently flipped the bar's position to the other side, but not its visuals.)

Your 2.1 version of Modern Sonic was pretty cool, but this...
THIS IS FREAKIN' AWESOME!

I can't wait to play as him in the revamped SP Levels owo

Update time

So it's been a few days since my last post regarding Modern Sonic so I thought i should go ahead and change that!

TuE2d9i.gif

IKb3Kiv.gif

WrZCxpz.gif

QRoX2HO.gif

IrLxKIA.gif

K1dnPsK.gif

As far as abilities and HUD is concerned, this looks like the definitive Unleashed Sonic for SRB2! I'm excited to give it a go. A shame Chrispy's going to commit suicide over this, though.

Man, I was wondering where Modern Sonic crawled off to, and now I'm even more afraid of him.
Keep up the good work, can't wait to mess around with him in netgames!

Modern Sonic looks fun! I'm also curious about the Megamix project and what you have planned for it. Will Sonic have the light speed dash and homing attack there as well as the other Megamix abilities for the other characters, like Mighty and his shield storage? What about the ability to activate roll in midair and follow up with their double jump?

All of that is planned to be in. Their abilities are going to be what they were as of version 4.0 as well as what was seen in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZFJT-0kVlQ

Of course I have already made a peelout addon that's in releases so I could use that for Sonic, though I would need to tweak how fast it charges up since it was pretty quick in Megamix.

I need to remake the shield storage for Mighty because right now it's just using another script from 2.1 as a placeholder until I get around to doing so. He also has the Insta-shield of course and I still need to add a proper walljump once I figure out how I'm going to. Modern Sonic has a been a learning experience on walljumps though :P

Tails, I would need frames for his tail attack.

Shadow still needs to be implemented as a whole, though I need to ask Inazuma if I can use his Shadow sprites after he releases it for 2.2. his abilities will be pretty easy to code in. I had them made in 2.1 so it's just a matter of porting it to 2.2 and making any necessary changes.

Then there's Knuckles. That should be easy enough on it's own, I don't think I would need any extra sprites for that.

Anyway, ill be working more on the Megamix mod after I get ModernSonic released.

Last edited:
Yes! I'm hyped! What about their super and/or S moniter abilities? Those too? I was wondering how Super Sonic's homing attack in any direction ability would translate into 3D and how that would control.

I think that Mighty should be implemented as a whole with new sprites because Hammer Drop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back