How did you find out about SRB2?

I've stumbled upon a speedrun video on an old version (maybe it was the 1.09.4 because it was up until CEZ Act 3).

Several years after, when I was really into Doom I got interested on a small fangame that ran on a modified version of the Legacy engine (I think it was around 2015 because it was during the 2.1 days)

Around 5 years ago, through CobanerMani's video. I don't know why I was subscribed to him, I barely even enjoyed his content at the time, but I am eternally thankful to him for it

I was looking for Super Mario War as a kid and ended up on some weird website that had this game I had never heard of called Sonic Robo Blast 2 v2.0.1 in downloads. Somehow, it wasn't a virus.

I don't really know how i found out about SRB2, most likely a Youtube video.
The only thing i know is that i started on 2.1.20, so yeah i'm a pretty recent player.

I discovered some version of the Final Demo somewhere between 2005-2007 (too long ago to really remember) from a disk full of freeware stuff. Back when such a network connection that could easily download a game wasn't necessarily a standard, at least on the countryside.

I found the game back in 2009 in high school when I was looking up various fan games (might have been Sonic Retro or some similar site; can't recall) The only version I ever knew was 2.0.6 until I was looking up the soundtrack on Youtube the other day for a Sonic music playlist I was compiling for a friend, and I was completely taken by surprise to hear that they were totally different than the ones I'm familiar with. So I just had to check out the new update and WOW, it is so different and much improved (but I still have an incredible soft spot for the older designs and especially the previous music - the old Deep Sea had such a lonely and isolated feel to it.) Anyway, yeah, found it like 10 years ago and have always loved it; didn't know there was a resurgence for it, which it totally deserves. Definitely gonna keep a closer eye on it now.

Last edited:
well my brother introduced me into this game when i was about 2 years old lol. I started off with 1.09 since that was the current version at the time. Still love this game to this day.

I've known about the game for years now, I even remember playing it when I was a kid. Tbh I forgot if I was in High, Middle, or even elementary school when I first played it.

It kinda slipped my mind for a while, but the latest update caught my eye... and it blew me away. I beat the game the other day and I still can't stop playing. The levels are so dense and filled with secrets for every character to find, it's utterly wonderful. It brings me back to Mario 64 and seems like something that could and should have existed for Sonic as a "first" 3D entry... despite being more complex and interesting than practically any actual 3D Sonic game, haha.

I love it. My SO and I have been quarantined and doing little else but work online and play Animal Crossing, but this has drastically interfered with those plans, haha. I can't put this game down.

This game, and Sonic Mania for that matter, has single (double?) handedly revitalized my love for the series. Bravo!

Many many years ago, when I was a little kid (Don't remember how old anymore) me and my brother were browsing on some website through this long list of Sonic fangames.

I don't remember many of them, but I know that SRB2 is one that we found, so we tried it out.

Played it for many years after that point into teenagehood, but after a while I just forgot about it? (Not sure how that happened) And as of several months ago, SRB2 came up again in a conversation after all this time, and then I found out about 2.2.

I play it regularly again, and love it.

I first found it while looking in uptodown.com, all the sonic fan games there were mediocre. It happened somewhere around 2013-14 and it was version 2.1. Then I found the srb2 website and never stopped playing!

Had a Raspberry Pi 3 set up with RetroPie back in 2017-2018, one of the updates for RetroPie added SRB2 as a downloadable game that could be added.

So I downloaded version 2.1.19 on a Raspberry Pi and instantly fell in love with the game, later downloaded it on a Laptop and have been consistently playing since.

2017, I watched plenty of videos about SRB 2 and ended up checking the game out. A few months later I showed up on the forums and started working on a character mod almost immediately... only for my apathy to get to the point where I lost all my motivation.

It's one of the many things in life I wish I could have discovered at a better time to be honest.

Must've been 2005 or so... I was excited about all the cool Sonic fangames out in the internet, afaik Srb2 was the only 3D one at the time.
Downloading 1.08 onto my fathers computer wasn't too fast on that ISDN modem...

I saw cobanermani456's video on 2.1 and thought it was cool so I started in late 2014, after that didn't play it much until 2.2 came out

In 2015, I found SRB2 somewhere and the version at the time was v2.1.14. Didn't really like the changes from 2.0, although I don't recall 2.0 being my first version (weird). I struggled with 2.1 THZ2 at that time. But aside from it, I enjoyed playing with SRB2. From 2015 to 2018, I would just play some SRB2 randomly with mods, such as SRB2 Heroes or SRB2 06, or even Mania.wad! And I only went to multiplayer once (ThatSRB2Dude's Match Server)...
Until 2019. I just got GFZ2's music into my mind, then I just decided playing SRB2 again. I was able to play Multiplayer finally. I picked up one of my old Scratch name, and modified the number at the end into "2019" (my old scratch name was Klasky2000), and I went by Klasky2019. Did change my name a few times, then sticked to "Cutedy". Also I used to go to Spectrum's server so much. Nowadays, I just play some Singleplayer, host sometimes or join servers...

also the mb name i have now is one of the old srb2 name i made

Despite the fact that Sonic Robo Blast 2 is a game that I've played for literally half my life, I actually have no idea how I came across SRB2 initially. I don't want to "flex", but when I was 5 or so, I was really dedicated to getting ahold of the game Sonic 3 & Knuckles. I literally taught myself how to download ROMs and emulators for the sake of playing that game. However, SRB2 specifically evades me. I just know that these two things have something to do with each other.

EDIT: And I should clarify that the time I got into the game was before 2008. During this time, 1.09.4 was the main version. I remember being particularly fond of SRB2JTE.

Last edited:

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back