The Nintendo Wii - SRB2's big break?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Naturally, I'm sure that a number of you know that Nintendo's upcoming Revolution console, now known as the Wii, features a virtual console that allows for the downloading of classic NES, SNES, N64, Genesis, and TurboGrafX games. However, listen to this...

Virtual Console: Wii will have downloadable access to 20 years of fan-favorite titles originally released for Nintendo 64, the Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES) and even the Nintendo Entertainment System (NES). The Virtual Console also will feature a "best of" selection from Sega Genesis titles and games from the TurboGrafx console (a system jointly developed by NEC and Hudson). It also will be home to new games conceived by indie developers whose creativity is larger than their budgets.

http://wii.nintendo.com/hardware.html

Could this be the big break that the SRB2 project so rightly deserves?

Sega of America would sue our butts faster than a starving Ethiopian yanking a steak out the trash can.

Perhaps if we had made a totally original game, we could take advantage of this. But as it stands now? Not a chance.

Draykon said:
SRB2 isn't coming out on Wii, it's a fangame, fangames never get much rep.

there was a fangame called Alien Hominid and that made it onto the gamecube, so why cant SRB2 make it on the Wii?

Because Alien Hominid was an original franchise (not a fangame), and SRB2 is not.

Seriously, guys. SEGA OWNS SONIC. You CANNOT publish a game starring their character for a profit, without their consent. You really need to stop treating it like it is its own franchise. Heck, even if AJ could just say "the Hell with it" and remove all the Sonic elements entirely, he'd still have the license for the DOOM engine to work out... and the game seriously does not look Wii-calibur. As a fangame, that's fine, it doesn't have to be. As a product released into the market for profit, you're damn well right it'd have to have something eye-catching, or else its likelihood of failing would increase quite a bit.

It could be possible to illegally :twisted: make a copy for wii. If you don't charge any money for it, and try to keep it quiet, then maybe Sega will never know. If everyone who want to play it can burn CD's then there shouldn't be a problem, you could probably do this with gamecube, if you can find mini CD's(well that is what I have heard). Just program it for Wii, and burn a CD. :evil: Right now it would be difficult to say, but if you could get a server, then you might be able to download it onto wii, with out Sega's knowledge. It depends on how it will work (If you can download anything from anywhere, or if you can only download from one server.) Or you could do things legally :cry: and get permission from Sega... Sega might like it enough to get rights or reprogram it.

wring said:
It could be possible to illegally :twisted: make a copy for wii. If you don't charge any money for it, and try to keep it quiet, then maybe Sega will never know. If everyone who want to play it can burn CD's then there shouldn't be a problem, you could probably do this with gamecube, if you can find mini CD's(well that is what I have heard). Just program it for Wii, and burn a CD. :evil: Right now it would be difficult to say, but if you could get a server, then you might be able to download it onto wii, with out Sega's knowledge. It depends on how it will work (If you can download anything from anywhere, or if you can only download from one server.) Or you could do things legally :cry: and get permission from Sega... Sega might like it enough to get rights or reprogram it.

The wii's game CD is as big as a normal one. If you set all program files on a normal CD, edit it to work with wii and stuff, it will actually work. But there's no way you'll be selling it.

1-Up said:
Wii would be perfect for SRB2.
I don't see where you get that from. I've tried controlling SRB2 with a gyro mouse, and I'll tell ya', it doesn't work well.
The wii's game CD is as big as a normal one. If you set all program files on a normal CD, edit it to work with wii and stuff, it will actually work.
Yeah, then there's the matter of programming it to work on the Wii, which I'm sure nobody is up to.

Super mystic sonic said:
wring said:

The wii's game CD is as big as a normal one. If you set all program files on a normal CD, edit it to work with wii and stuff, it will actually work. But there's no way you'll be selling it.

I highly doubt nintendo made it that simple to play pirated or homebrew games on the Wii. they're not dumb...
Well, maybe a little?

*shotslaugheteredbeatencrapkickedouttastabbed*

Arrow said:
Perhaps if we had made a totally original game, we could take advantage of this. But as it stands now? Not a chance.
a441's "project fungame" was an effort to remove everything Sonic-related from SRB2 and thereby leave it as nothing more then a fungame rather then a fangame. He was also going to replace everything in srb2.srb (as opposed to just the characters, sounds, fonts, and GFZ textures), as SSNTails told him that he could not use it or something, as it is not under the GPL like the source code is... I don't know what he planned to do with it, but it seems to be something of a "FreeDOOM"-ish project, which will probably never be complete, if only for SRB2's size...

I didn't tell him that he couldn't do it... I think he just stopped or something.

I think Sega already knows about SRB2. If they wanted to make it they'd probly contact SSNTails himself. That or maybe their waiting for him to make the first move and not make themselves seem desperate?
<_<-->_>

They probobly do know about SRB2. I'm thinking that they just might give SSN a job offer or something, after he's done with this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back