Why the mobile versions of Sonic 1 and 2

Icarus

Phantasy Savior
are still not ported to PC and consoles?

I mean Sonic 3&K not having an official remake is because of obvious reasons but Sonic CD 2011 got ported to PC (and I'm still waiting for an eventual Switch and PS4/Xone release as well) so is there a reason why Sega let what is arguably the best version of the first two main game on mobile?

are still not ported to PC and consoles?

I mean Sonic 3&K not having an official remake is because of obvious reasons but Sonic CD 2011 got ported to PC (and I'm still waiting for an eventual Switch and PS4/Xone release as well) so is there a reason why Sega let what is arguably the best version of the first two main game on mobile?

I mean, that Sega guy from the reddit Q&A did say that porting them would definitely be interesting, so it's definitly a possibility. I also read another reddit post wich claims that they can't do it cuz of that partnership with nintendo from 2013/2014. I don't know if it's real, but if it is, then there ain't anything stopping Sega from commissioning Taxman and Stealth from porting it to consoles. But, if you really want to play these on consoles, then you COULD mod your switch I guess.

I mean, that Sega guy from the reddit Q&A did say that porting them would definitely be interesting, so it's definitely a possibility. I also read another reddit post which claims that they can't do it because of that partnership with Nintendo from 2013/2014. I don't know if it's real, but if it is, then there ain't anything stopping Sega from commissioning Taxman and Stealth from porting it to consoles. But, if you really want to play these on consoles, then you COULD mod your switch I guess.

1. Sadly a Reddit Q&A isn't that official when it comes to a company such as Sega (unlike most indie devs) but I hope this is a step in the right direction.
  2. If it really was because of the Nintendo exclusivity contract then how Lost World got a PC port?
  3. I feel like Sega doesn't care and just want to re-release the Genesis rom again over the remakes (like how Namco likes to re-release the original arcade Pac-Man over the arrange version)

1. Sadly a Reddit Q&A isn't that official when it comes to a company such as Sega (unlike most indie devs) but I hope this is a step in the right direction.
  2. If it really was because of the Nintendo exclusivity contract then how Lost World got a PC port?
  3. I feel like Sega doesn't care and just want to re-release the Genesis rom again over the remakes (like how Namco likes to re-release the original arcade Pac-Man over the arrange version)

Fair argument. I do also feel like Sega is just to lazy and reliant on nostalgia for the original rom, but there is something that might contradict that: the sonic ages ports. While those were mostly just the original roms, there were a few additions to spice it up a little bit. Sure, a few extra things on an old rom re-release probaly doesn't mean anything, but atleast it's an improvement over just using the same damn rom over and over again. Also, the reddit Q&A saying that they can't put the ports on consoles was by a fan, so it wasn't very reliable in the first place. But I do still have faith on the one from the Sega representative.

Fair argument. I do also feel like Sega is just to lazy and reliant on nostalgia for the original rom, but there is something that might contradict that: the sonic ages ports. While those were mostly just the original roms, there were a few additions to spice it up a little bit. Sure, a few extra things on an old rom re-release probaly doesn't mean anything, but atleast it's an improvement over just using the same damn rom over and over again. Also, the reddit Q&A saying that they can't put the ports on consoles was by a fan, so it wasn't very reliable in the first place. But I do still have faith on the one from the Sega representative.
While I appreciate M2's work for stuff like Phantasy Star or Virtua Racers you're right, it's just the original game with some features plastered on them (like the Ring Count for Sonic 1 and 2).

Because honestly Whitehead's work for Sonic 1, 2 and CD was astonishing (especially for the smoother gameplay and wide screen)

While I appreciate M2's work for stuff like Phantasy Star or Virtua Racers you're right, it's just the original game with some features plastered on them (like the Ring Count for Sonic 1 and 2).

Because honestly Whitehead's work for Sonic 1, 2 and CD was astonishing (especially for the smoother gameplay and wide screen)

Maybe one day Sega will finally think "hhmmmm those roms are pretty old and don't have much to them. Maybe we can do the thing that should've been done a long time ago and release those mobile ports!" or something like that.

Last edited:
And to be honest I am only playing Sonic 1 either with the Classic Heroes mod (which brings elements from Sonic 2, CD and 3 + the possibility to play with any of the 6 character in solo) or with the mobile port (using a Bluetooth pad, I bought the ad removal for it).

Let's be honest, vanilla Sonic 1 has many flaws and I'm just glad people made some nice enhancements of it.

And to be honest I am only playing Sonic 1 either with the Classic Heroes mod (which brings elements from Sonic 2, CD and 3 + the possibility to play with any of the 6 character in solo) or with the mobile port (using a Bluetooth pad, I bought the ad removal for it).

Let's be honest, vanilla Sonic 1 has many flaws and I'm just glad people made some nice enhancements of it.

Yeah, your right. But, to be honest, I still enjoy the original rom very much. Sure, it has aspects that can be improved, but playing it is just a very chill experience. Of course, these hacks that modify certain aspects of the game are better experiences, especially Sonic: the next level. That one is always a joy to play.

Yeah, your right. But, to be honest, I still enjoy the original rom very much. Sure, it has aspects that can be improved, but playing it is just a very chill experience. Of course, these hacks that modify certain aspects of the game are better experiences, especially Sonic: the next level. That one is always a joy to play.
Well for the vanilla experience I would only ask to remove the spike bug, fix the press start on the title screen, reorder the Zones in the level select menu and have an optional spindash.

I would try the one you said.

Well for the vanilla experience I would only ask to remove the spike bug, fix the press start on the title screen, reorder the Zones in the level select menu and have an optional spindash.

I would try the one you said.

With that stuff changed, we could get something that's almost close to being as good as the mobile port. Also, I'm suprised you never played Next Level. It's probaly the best and most profesional rom hack there is when it comes to sonic. It was made by Markey Jester, a very popular figure in the hacking scene. Next Level has great level design, incredible visuals, perfect controls and a banger OST, wich is made-up of already-existing songs compressed to play on the genesis. The catch is that certain songs are almost CD quality, wich is super impressive. Here's a link to the forum with the download: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjAKegQIBBAB&usg=AOvVaw3UHhVccsIA_sfKUd9jDP3-

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back