SRB2 on Web Browser!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hah, awesome. Seen it on Discord. I'll try it asap when I have a working Wifi again. :)

EDIT: I hope once this is final it can be officially hosted on srb2.org i.e. web.srb2.org or something like that. :D

Last edited:
Mods are supported, but netplay is not available.
I find this illogical, I thought the point of a web browser game was to be able to play online on the go (like any MMO or even FPS such as Quake Live before it became a paid game on Steam).

How does modding work on browser by the way?

It's compiled into WebAssembly. WebAssembly is a standard that is kind of like bytecode. The browser compiles and executes the bytecode, and bam, there it is.

When you think about how old SRB2 is though, it's hard to wrap your head around it. Pretty neat!

Indeed; running in WebAssembly is one part of the puzzle. The other part is supporting the browser-side code, such as keyboard and mouse controls.

I'm not the first person to compile the game to WebAssembly, but I did decide to support all the browser quirks between Safari and Chrome. That takes a lot of effort.

I find this illogical, I thought the point of a web browser game was to be able to play online on the go (like any MMO or even FPS such as Quake Live before it became a paid game on Steam).

How does modding work on browser by the way?
You upload a WAD or PK3 file to the web page, and the game picks it up. It's not stored on a server, just used locally in the game.

I hear Modern Sonic works very well in it.

See this YouTube video for a demonstration, courtesy RetroToaster

Last edited:
Wow! Truly amazing.

Now I'm re-sharing the game with all of the friends I'd previously been pitching this game to... really no excuse not to give it a try now.

It's compiled into WebAssembly. WebAssembly is a standard that is kind of like bytecode. The browser compiles and executes the bytecode, and bam, there it is.

When you think about how old SRB2 is though, it's hard to wrap your head around it. Pretty neat!
I feel a bit honoured to have SSNTails answering to my question, thank you for the answer.

I like the idea of being able to play SRB2 without the need to carry my USB key.

You fools, this is SRB2's attempt to take over our world!

First it invades your desktop, then your phone, then your switch, now your browser! Soon, it will invade your PS4, your XBOX, your vita, your PS3, your PSP, and then...it'll invade YOU.

BOW DOWN TO YOUR HEDGEHOG OVERLORD, SONIC ROBO BLAST 2 IS LOVE, SONIC ROBO BLAST 2 IS LIFE.

Neat idea. I'd still rather just download it for better performance, but this is still a nice option for people when they might not just have it available.

Honestly, the best way to play it on a PC is Legacy mode, as the mouselook sucks. And I love challenging myself to not move the mouse throughout the entire level and I use Legacy for that.

You fools, this is SRB2's attempt to take over our world!

First it invades your desktop, then your phone, then your switch, now your browser! Soon, it will invade your PS4, your XBOX, your vita, your PS3, your PSP, and then...it'll invade YOU.

BOW DOWN TO YOUR HEDGEHOG OVERLORD, SONIC ROBO BLAST 2 IS LOVE, SONIC ROBO BLAST 2 IS LIFE.

Casually waiting for SRB2 for the Samsung fridge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back