Old Rules Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.
We changed our nicks for April Fools Day, didn't we? :)

Seriously though, we can change nicks if people have a good enough reason for it. However, the reason needs to be extremely good, or we'll just see it as the person wasting our time, which is why we normally don't do it.

And also, if the admins found someone on the forums who had an extreamly offensive name, they'll probably want to change it. IRNazi would be a name to change. I'd bet at least ONE Jew looks at these boards. And an oversexual name or a name with nothing but cuss words... you get the picture.

Hey, that sound like a good rule. :D

1. Generally speaking, keep the board to the content that can be broadcast on network TV (Think "The Simpsons") and use your own common sense as to what's allowed or not allowed on the board. For those of you who seem to be incapable of figuring this out, the following is forbidden: *snip*

A rule against such things is redundant-your proposal alreayd falls under the above stated general idiocy rule.

ShadowAurion said:
And also, if the admins found someone on the forums who had an extreamly offensive name, they'll probably want to change it. IRNazi would be a name to change. I'd bet at least ONE Jew looks at these boards. And an oversexual name or a name with nothing but cuss words... you get the picture.

Hey, that sound like a good rule. :D
Not really, for the reason ST218 provided. It's redundant. Not to mention we recently did the whole Nazi spiel for April Fools', so, depending on the context...

Really, if we need more rules, generally we'll figure it out on our own. However, I will point out that you can suggest rules, certainly, but please, not in the manner you did: you're listing it as if it IS a rule that you're tacking on (you can't), almost as if somebody gave you authority to do so (we didn't).

Oh :eek: ... sorry about that....

I almost forgot you did the Nazi thing for April Fools. *notices that the easter sonic is still at the top-left of the SRB2 messageboard thing* How long has that been up there? But yeah, I didn't mean to say it like it really was a rule. But I'm wondering why you don't let people change their names by themselves?

It would get abused. I've seen it on other forums. When you give people that kind of freedom, they abuse it to no end. One of the key aspects of a community is knowing who people are. Giving ordinary users the ability to change names reduces the community aspect and induces chaos.

There are ways around that. For instance, at this one board I frequent, after someone changes their name, their original username is still displayed underneath their avatar. At that point, it's no longer detrimental to the community- more often than not, it's just a stupid thing to do. I doubt this board is mature enough to use something like that properly.

Here's an idea.

Don't make topics about MODs to ask for help because it's not working, or to report a glitch, it has a topic, so use it.

ShadowAurion said:
If the admins found someone on the forums who had an extreamly offensive name, they'll probably want to change it. Or ban the guy so they don't have to see his name again. And a name with nothing but cuss words... you get the picture.

Rule 1 covers all this crap. Why don't we all re-read that most-important rule.

Mystic said:
1. Generally speaking, keep the board to the content that can be broadcast on network TV (Think "The Simpsons") and use your own common sense as to what's allowed or not allowed on the board.

Well, just to let you know, when I helped make the rules for some FRP, I changed the "Banned" to the "BanHammered" - only thing is, you will also be needing a "BanHammer" to ban them - but you use the same way as you do with normal bans. And then the people who used to ban others become "BanHammer Wielders"! Plus, you also get the chance to shame the person by posting after the post that got him the ban, saying somthing like: "(BanHammer Wielder's Name) sneaks up on (Banned person's name), and then smacks him hard with the BanHammer, while it was set to (Ban Length)."

Now, that was just an idea on my behalf. If you use it or not is up to you - but if you do, I just ask one thing, and that is to give me credit for giving you this idea. But if you don't use it, I understand why.

Adam Hillman.

I know - but I got it from Bungie, and then adapted it to my liking. But even though I'm not the first person to use it, I still like to help out. Besides, I was wondering if I could help you lot out with testing new mods, as I'm thinking of making a move into the game industry. And by being a member of Sonic Team Jr. would be the first step. I might not get any further than that, but IF I do, I will use my skills to make the games you have EVEN BETTER! But it's up to the owners if they want me as part of Sonic Team Jr, and I will respect their desision, if it's to let me in as a member of them, or if I am denied. But I would feel much happier if it's yes - but I won't go mental if it's a no.

Adam Hillman.

I chuckled.

ah2190 said:
Besides, I was wondering if I could help you lot out with testing new mods, as I'm thinking of making a move into the game industry.
You don't understand. Basically, what you just said is, "Can I have whatever wads you are working on early?". Do you know how to make levels/characters/SOCs/graphic replacements/etc. and know C++ enough to edit the source code? If not, then you probably aren't moving anywhere, dude. To move into the gaming industry, you need to take courses. You can't just download skill off of a website (not to mention Sonic Team Jr. is composed of a team of a few people, that have been working on this since 1996(?) or even earlier, so first you would need to be trusted, and by saying "can i be a beta tester even though i have no idea what the hell im supposed to be testing").

ah2190 said:
And by being a member of Sonic Team Jr. would be the first step. I might not get any further than that, but IF I do, I will use my skills to make the games you have EVEN BETTER! But it's up to the owners if they want me as part of Sonic Team Jr, and I will respect their desision, if it's to let me in as a member of them, or if I am denied. But I would feel much happier if it's yes - but I won't go mental if it's a no.
Also, this sounds like "oh can i be an admin for no reason". You just come up randomly (seriously, you joined a day ago) and say "can i be one of the creators of srb2 even though i havent even done any editing or even have been here for that long". Just because you were some Administrator/Moderator somewhere else doesn't mean you automatically become one at every other forum, because it isn't hard to just make your own invisionfree or phpbbforfree forum, and make yourself the "global admin". Next, I want to talk about these so called skills that you have. Where are they? You haven't made anything, and I doubt you know anything about making a simple wad.

I also love how you said you will make their games better. How? You just joined a day ago. Even if you've been playing it for a long time, it doesn't mean you're some sort of master of it. You expect them to just make you one of the creators? The owners' decisions are most likely going to be no, and you better respect their decision and explanation of why you're being an idiot right now. Read back. Honestly. Do you think what you want to happen is going to come true? You are not going to be a part of Sonic Team Jr.! Maybe if you contribute (heavily of course, bug fixes, wads, etc.) for a couple of years, but most likely not. Also, of course you'll love if it's a yes because, it's automatic credit for you. So far, what have you done to help? Nothing. (I noticed that you tried to be reasonable and try to act noble about how you said it (IE, when you want to go home sick, you don't say, "I think I need to go home, I don't feel well", you say, "Well I don't really want to go home, but I don't feel well enough to continue, so I don't know what I should do")).

A couple of things I need to ask.

- What makes you think just asking, "oh can I be an admin" will make you become one? Seriously, you asked if you could have free creditability within the creation of SRB2, to be an administrator here (the entire staff has administrator status), and if you can have wads that are in development, early.

- How old are you? If you are under the age of 18, I highly doubt you're going to get anywhere, especially because you have to take classes for game development.

- Did you read this fully/without skimming through it? If you didn't, you aren't mature enough, responsible enough, sensible enough, and not trustworthy enough. Seriously man, if you give me any response without reading the damn message, then don't talk to me, and don't ask for free stuff. Got it?

That's all I have to say, and let me just say this;

You pretty much ruined my good mood. Thanks.

- How old are you? If you are under the age of 18, I highly doubt you're going to get anywhere, especially because you have to take classes for game development.
You don't necessarily need to be in college or anything to make/work on a game. I'm only 17 and I've made a DS game and improved a couple modes in SRB2.. As for the rest of your post. That was a bit harsh, don't you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back