The Pony Thread (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know, I'm struggling to find myself excited this time around.

May have to do with the middle ground between seasons. Any time a season finishes, the hype for the show tends to die down just a bit. Likely, you'll be even more annoyed when the new wave of fans flood in.

On that, what is it about MLP fandom that causes such secluded parts to it? You end up with all of these niches and they end up locking themselves down and holding others to "standards" in order to get within even a foot of them. The egotistical mindsets of some bronies just stagger me. It tends to make me glad that I'm calming down about the show and finally getting to treating it like a normal TV show.

So I'm looking at TVTropes's recap page. Last I had looked, we knew only of three episodes (the initial two-parter and the episode immediately following it). And now we suddenly know of nine episodes? Sheesh, that was abrupt.

Oh, and they're airing S3E8 after S3E9 and S3E10 now. Cosmic forces are doing this to toy with me, I swear. I can only assume it's another situation where the episode in question is a holiday episode, and they're delaying it to put it closer to the holiday in question - much like how they took S2E13, "Hearth's Warming Eve", and aired it eleventh because that was closer to Christmas. Should be January 5th - honestly not sure what holiday comes at that point. New Year's episode, then? It'd be a bit late (and would make more sense to toss in the 9th slot since that's Dec 29), but I can't think of many other holidays around then worth redoing the order over.

Last edited:
tumblr_mdacxcZIfh1rzrqw9o1_500.gif

I enjoyed the premiere, all said and done. Putting Spike in the hero role like that was definitely unexpected, and I got a few giggles out of the jokes here and there. It seemed to amble a bit, though; gonna have to rewatch it to make sure I didn't gloss over anything.

But did you see that Gak?

The Crystal Empire

Been a week, but who cares, Crystal Empire episode thingy.

Alright. This episode was nice. Shiny crystal ponies, lots of songs, and a dull enemy.

Synopsis: Celestia is informed of the return of the Crystal Empire, and King Sombre. He sends Twilight and her friends to help aid Shining Armor and Princess Cadence in restoring the Emipre to former glory, and ward off King Sombre.

First of all, the songs were amazing. This might actually beat out "Love Is In Bloom" for me, especially with remixes like this.

Secondly, I like the end results of the ponies in Crystal form. Really, how do you beat Crystal Twilight?

Third, disappointment came a bit from Sombre. There's no real characterization to him aside from evil. He's just this ominous enemy with some transfiguration to himself. It did however bring me to this conclusion. Each season get progressively more gritty. Season 1: Nightmare Moon vanquished, all is forgiven. Discord is imprisoned in stone. Chrysalis... well, WE'RE BLASTING OFF AGAIN! And Sombre... Dead. He is dead. That's a bit scary.

I might have missed the lesson telling, but I can easily presume that Twi was willing to fail Celestia's test so long as she saved the empire. While she was the one who should "ultimately save it," she took the risk in an act of selflessness. Gave the crystal heart to Spike and allowed him to take the heart to the Crystal ponies. At least, I figure.

This wasn't a half-bad premiere, especially when you consider Lauren Faust is no longer on the crew. Whoever replaced her, they're doing a pretty good job, I think.

Last edited:
Oh, here we go again...

I've seen more people complain about how Sombra is souless than people complaining about the GAK commercials.

This I wanna get it straight out of the way: Sombra didn't need as much characterization as the other villiains in the show. He's just a steel-heart dictator who made the crystal ponies' life worse than hell. What else can be said?

Robotnik didn't need much characterization either in order to become a wicked dictator bent on robotizing everyone and taking them their freedom away, all the while making those who were still un-robotized a living hell with swarm of swatbots patrolling every corner in search for them.

What I mean is, King Sombra did his role well and that's all that needs to be said about him.

WAIT, WAIT, WAIT, WAIT...
Since when did LAUREN FAUST leave the crew!? I MUST KNOW!

---------- Post added at 07:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:08 PM ----------

Why is nobody talking about Season 3 Episode 3? I saw it yesterday.

Since... season 1 finished? She was a consulting director for season 2, and that was it. Now it's just "Adapted for Television by". (Technically I think she was the main director for the "Return of Harmony" two-parter, since that was purchased as part of Season 1, but that's about it.)

And yes, S3E3 "Too Many Pinkie Pies" was excellent. Even if Dave Polsky's other work ("Feeling Pinkie Keen", "Over a Barrel") wasn't your kind of thing, this one would probably be more up your alley (depending on how much you like Pinkie).

S3E4 "One Bad Apple" was... okay. Wasn't too fond of the ending, though.
"Or else I'll tell your parents!" Ooh, burn.

I kinda want to know why they're skipping S3E8... It currently goes from S3E7 straight to S3E9.

I will not watch this show without a legitimate reason. I don't watch TV anyway, infact I don't even watch anime anymore;the only show I currently invest my time in is One Piece. Someone please give me real reason, aside from "it's different than what you think to watch it. Then maybe I could take a quick look and decide whether or not to give my respects.

Why? We don't really care if you watch it or not. It's not our goal to prove how awesome all the shows we like are, to you.

That's pretty much all it is: we like it. The only real reason it's notoriously popular is that it's from a genre of shows that generally only produces schlock, so that it produced a show that is of any measure of notable quality is in and of itself notable. It is not better than every show on television right now or anything (I mean, the Hub reairs reruns of Batman: The Animated Series, which is definitely a show I'm more into).

I suppose another element of notoriety is the fact that the fandom kinda started on /co/ of 4chan, and you surely know all about how 4chan is the progenitor of several memes, so they used that sphere of influence to attract attention to the show.

I did hear of that. Huh. Guess it's just one of those fad things then like...i guess Glee was. But why do the MLP's need to be constantly compared to Sonic? Starting to see a pattern here whereas Sonic's name is synonomous to MLP(at least on the internet).

I did hear of that. Huh. Guess it's just one of those fad things then like...i guess Glee was. But why do the MLP's need to be constantly compared to Sonic? Starting to see a pattern here whereas Sonic's name is synonomous to MLP(at least on the internet).
Compare the breadth of the fandoms, and you'd begin to understand. So much fanart, fanfiction, fan videos, fangames... From both fanbases.

It is indeed the fanbase size, both in numbers and content, that's caused the collision of discussion between Sonic and MLP. I doubt there's ever any intentions, but that's how it is.

Realistically, the better comparison seems to be Touhou, if not just for they both have similarities in their concept itself. There's smaller fanbases, but the fact of the matter stands.

As to giving you a reason, I can say this: We don't particularly have one. All we can really do is give you the story of how we started in on it and assume it brings you to consider viewing.

This is actually a thing we've stumbled upon in the IRC on one such occasion. The thing that really made us consider viewing it. I've had it logged prior to re-installing Windows 7, but it was nice to know everyone's origins.

I guess it started in late 2011, when I got internet service at my house back. Ponies, everywhere I looked. It was sort of stupid to see. Everywhere I looked, there'd be related videos, references, music, art, all that crap. It drove me insane.

The very first post I made in this thread was a stupid joke regarding Fluttershy and Tails with some crude paint down to signify murder. It was childish, and I found the flaming to be a big role in getting me to reconsider. However, Youtube aided. I caught myself looking more and more at ponies. At first, I can only figure, it was from sheer irony. Then I heard this. Not surprisingly, the fanbase is able to deliver. That song, I loved it. I figured, "If the fanbase can make this kind of stuff, I may as well see how it's causing it." From there, I entered the series.

I despised it at each moment. I thought, "I'm watching a show about talking horses, what am I doing?" And then, reality strikes me with the fact that I've watched Lucky Star, Azumanga Daioh, Powerpuff Girls Z, and Honey & Clover. So I persevered. I was keeping up with the fandom, watching videos, listening to music, seeing awesome fanart, the usual.

And I stopped seeing it ironically.

They'll criticize me, sure. They'll harass me, alright. But who cares? I like the show legitimately. That's that.

So basically, if you feel the fault is in the content itself, and you actually take it on, know that there's actually a lot of people who started it out with the same thought. Some will give up, some will give in. Just try it, and you'll see where you stand.
That's my rant experience. If anyone wishes to, please share yours.

Last edited:
I didn't see anypony talking about the following, so I'll leave this here : http://mlpmusicarchive.com/
You may already guess everything about what this site is for : MLP music.
To be more accurate, it's a website sharing a torrent of several GBs (about ~28 GB right now), containing tones of music both from the official show (background musics, etc), and from bronies around Youtube. These people seem to take care and often update the torrent by finding and gathering the most brony creations they can.
Sooo, I thought the musical ones of you here would like to know about this project~
Oh and by hoping it doesn't look like an advertising

So, the new episode.

THE FACES
176346__safe_animated_scootaloo_gif_spoiler-s03e06_twitch.gif

THE GIF POTENTIAL
176390__safe_animated_scootaloo_spoiler-s03e06_sleepless-in-ponyville_alligator_pitfall.gif

THE CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT
176439__safe_rainbow-dash_animated_scootaloo_hug_gif_spoiler-s03e06_scootalove.gif

...*squee*

I really liked the episode. Really liked it. As in "even better than Ponyville Confidential" liked it. Luna's appearance was kind of forced and a rather hasty way to shoehorn the moral in, but otherwise the only way I can express my pleasure is with noncoherent sputtering and reaction gifs.

edit: Also, gotta go fast

Last edited:
I didn't see anypony talking about the following. ..
tumblr_m2byz9PxM21qjdq87o4_1280.jpg

You know, you could say "Anybody" instead of "Anypony? Frankly I don't see the what the point of that is. . .I would have known what you have meant if you had said "Anybody". Seems to me that's the kind of thing that everyone is doing just because everyone else is doing it. . .

Sorry, I just couldn't resist. . . :p Anyway. . .

Internet Explorer said:
Oh and by hoping it doesn't look like an advertising
You're not, all you're really doing is sharing it and giving us the small details :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back