Resource icon

ACStriker

SRB2Kart ArcadePak dev - living enigma
Hello everyone! As I knew that this day was coming soon, I finally finished work on this one track, which was started in January, so it pretty much took me 4-5 months (and weeks of procrastination), but finally here it is, for the special day of my birthday!

This is the Big Forest track (also known as the Beginner track) from Virtua Racing, a Formula 1 racing game for arcades by SEGA, which was powered by their Model 1 arcade board, giving it an impressive amount of polygons (but no textures). As this one being a mostly straight conversion of said track, I had to use a lot of detail in order to have it look similar to the original aesthetic, using flats/textures for color shades to simulate shading (as SRB2Kart/SRB2 doesn't have dynamic lightning); as well as Slopes, FOFs...and Sloped FOFs (The trees at the first straight of the course). It took me a long while and several glitched linedefs corrections (in fact you can see 2 or 3 on the video on the road, but I should have those fixed when the download is up), but I've finally done it.

Please enjoy and thanks to LJSTAR for the sky texture, MK for the heads up about the fix for checkpoint bug as well as other feedback, sphere, Latius and many others on the SRB2Kart Discord for support; and of course, the KartKrew staff themselves for making this awesome mod/game.

Changelog
-1.0:
Initial Release

-1.1:
Checkpoint 4 bug fixed
Starting line FOF made intangible: Now winner signpost falls properly
Several linedefs made intangible; some out of bounds area given Death Pit property
Minimap outline thickened
Item box amount increased
Added super-duper-ultra-mega secret that definitively wasn't there before

Video (1.0):

Supporters / Co-Authors:

Attachments

• kart0019.png
    kart0019.png
    29 KB · Views: 298
  • kart0020.png
    kart0020.png
    24 KB · Views: 353
  • kart0021.png
    kart0021.png
    31.3 KB · Views: 330
  • kart0022.png
    kart0022.png
    51.8 KB · Views: 271
  • KR_BigForestV1.1.rar
    8.2 MB · Views: 902
Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to releases! My only real gripe is perhaps there needs to be more item boxes in the item spots. 5 is not a lot for a 16 player game, for example.

This is good, but I encountered a few glitches. For starters, the game would just keep telling me that I was going the wrong way even though I was driving the right way. Also, whenever I completed the race, the goalpost would just levitate a foot above the ground and won't come down. Overall, this is a great track, but I highly recommend that these two serious issues be fixed for an even better experience.

This is good, but I encountered a few glitches. For starters, the game would just keep telling me that I was going the wrong way even though I was driving the right way. Also, whenever I completed the race, the goalpost would just levitate a foot above the ground and won't come down. Overall, this is a great track, but I highly recommend that these two serious issues be fixed for an even better experience.

I've just released V1.1 which fixes both issues. I'm glad you enjoyed the track!

Thanks so much for fixing those problems. Now the track is perfect! With Virtua Racing being on the Nintendo Switch via the Sega Ages collection, this was a great way to celebrate the return of this 90s classic.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back