Suggestions

Except, you know, Sonic 3K, which is the only classic Sonic game with Knuckles =P
If you're aiming to re-create Classic Sonic games in 3D,then why don't you Add 3D Slopes support,you know Classic Sonic games used to have slopes :3
Ghz.png

Other examples of 3D Slopes that i really wish to be in the game ..
Just to make sure that you get it,3D Slopes are Possible in software renderer,Ask ZDoom about this ;D

1-Sonic Doom 2 Remake

sdz.png

2-Putrefier (by Ed Cripps)

wfdjF.jpg

Awkr2.jpg

Twy7o.jpg

9r4kW.jpg

Oh ,and yah if you try to run SRB2CB in software renderer,Slopes will just disappear,not like these Slopes above from ZDoom ......

Last edited:
We're not doing the "ZDoom has slopes, SRB2 should have them too!" thing again. This conversation has happened hundreds of times and it's not going to change unless somebody actually puts forth the effort to port their physics and renderer changes.

You're more than welcome to do it, and I have considered it myself, but nobody really cares enough to do it themselves. The game works fine without slopes, and while it would be beneficial for them to exist, nobody wants to do the work.

Actually, why don't you port over the physics from CB, just to allow the creation of false slopes? (slopes that while they aren't visible themselves, one could use a bunch of stairs, FOFs or side texture trickery to make the appearance.)

Hackery like that is better-suited for a Lua-scripted addon. It wouldn't make sense to have physics for invisible slopes in the vanilla game, even if it's never used anywhere.

Hackery like that is better-suited for a Lua-scripted addon. It wouldn't make sense to have physics for invisible slopes in the vanilla game, even if it's never used anywhere.
Think about future maps of the game,and how will they look like,Argh men !

---------- Post added at 09:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:23 AM ----------

Oh,and by the way,aren't you planning for future maps like Egg Grandship,Dark City....etc ?,it'll really be Cool if Slopes are used there....

...uh, no, let's not go around in circles please.

How about I just answer why we're not going to do several things:

• Port SRB2 to engine x, e.g ZDoom, Source:
    No way, SRB2 on the current engine (Doom Legacy) is about 16 years old as it is, we're not going back on all those years of work only to make SRB2 that little more "modern". It's no simple matter of porting anyhow; we've modified the Doom Legacy engine too much for our own purposes, might as well call it the "SRB2 engine" at this point.

• Port SRB2CB's slopes into SRB2:
    They're not actually that brilliant nor is the physics for them complete, and support for everything from PolyObjects to Software mode is absent. Even Kalaron himself probably realised it was not worth it; the many OpenGL fixes as well as skyboxes were worth it much more (and most of which have since been added to SRB2 2.1 itself!). Lack of Software mode support (SRB2CB is designed exclusively around OpenGL if that wasn't obvious already) means we wouldn't have renderer parity in our SRB2 until a Software version of slopes existed - i.e. no renderer parity, no SRB2CB slopes. Not much more to be said.

On an aside, an old test map of mine involving SRB2CB's slopes eats up memory so badly last I remember. Now the question is whether this issue is related to the slopes or something else... I have no idea currently.

• Port ZDoom's slopes into SRB2:
    SSNTails once tried to do this himself back in the days of the old SRB2 forums (something like 2000-2002 IIRC)... from what I remember seeing of his posts, via Wayback Machine, he had issues with doing so because of ZDoom referencing stuff from another game he didn't want to touch. I forget if he said whether it was licensing issues or not, would be best if SSN cleared this question up himself? If it is like so, this probably means we can't add them from ZDoom itself.

• Add slopes into SRB2 at all, either by porting or by doing-it-ourselves:
    We don't actually need them for SRB2 to survive! Our levels have survived for up to a decade and a half without slopes as it is; if we finally put in slopes, people would deride all of SRB2's levels including ERZ for being out-of-date and not having slopes and we'd be nagged to put slopes everywhere. Essentially it'd require a remake of all levels in SRB2 for everyone to be happy, which won't be fun. (Perhaps I'm exaggurating the consequences here... perhaps.)

Adding slopes to SRB2 would probably also lead to a very slippery slope (no pun intended) of physics-related feature creep, or at least potential for one - next people will be expecting SRB2 to have things like loops and sideways gravity, which themselves have a boat-load of issues which I will not go over here.

Item aren't respawning in Co-op causing joining players to die fast,because they can't find Rings to Pick up,especially when fighting a Boss ....

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 4, Members: 0, Guests: 4)

Back