I haven't played Srb2 in a long time... attempted singleplayer review

So I decided to take a look at Srb2 again.
I once thought Srb2 was a lost cause and far more advanced game engines would take this fan game into obsolescensce but it was still amazingly crazy enough that it has been accomplished with a doom fork!

Man it has been a while but I was curious after I discovered this game was still kicking.

So I decided to download 2.2 and play singleplayer. What a ride!

The game looks way more polished and classic Sonic-esque compared to 10 years ago and I love it! The lovingly drawn highres sprites the more cartoony looking assets, the popping color palette, the revised soundtrack. I am in love! And properly working linear slopes? That is awesome. I could remember early buggy prototypes but this amazed me nonetheless.

I like the new controls. Separating the character movement and the camera movement was a good decision. I know they are still interconnected, though. However I am not too sure about the manual camera control but I got used to it... And it worked well on a gamepad :)

So I played through the game as Sonic. GFZ looked familiar in parts but I was excited to find completely new parts and revised areas.
THZ looked very different but I still had some nostalgic throwbacks from time to time. I love the inertia slime it is a really interesting concept.

DSZ was refreshing. I remember I played a lot more plain looking version once.

With CEZ I began to feel the controls weren't working in my favor anymore. At first I didn't remember from the tutorial level that I could adjust my jump height according to my keypress which just might have made the platforming sections way harder. And I had the feeling that the character sprites and general graphics and shading made perception of depth hard. I would think the game was quite merciless with me in its precision and I could use a permanent homing move to lock on to traverse more easily. I however loved the level design. The textures and soundtrack were superb. At the library part I had a feeling Patchouli's theme might have been mixed in there, I don't know too much about music could've just been my imagination, though. Then the little firelink shrine secret made me smile eventhough I'm not a Dark Souls fan. The bridge part was outstanding. I had genuine fun and wouldn't have thought this to be technically possible. I have mixed feelings about the bounce shield enemies and the knights requiring two hits.
Then the boss came. And I was being pummeled, lost all my lives and continues. I was however glad I could still continue my game and eventually beat Eggman.
From then on I noticed lives would be thrown at me the more I died. As if the game was ridiculing my abysmal gameplay. Nice move!

ACZ was so creative and cool however the rope parts were really frustrating. Maybe because I forgot about the adjustable jump height. All too often I panically thokked Sonic into oblivion. Also springs leading to spikes? You meanies! The quarry parts were real fun and reminded me of modern Sonic titles, blended with classic aesthetics.

Red Volcano looked fresh and classic Sonic like but damn was it hard. The pterodactyl badniks really annoyed me throwing me into the lava again and again. But I had a sense of accomplishment after beating the hard ball balancing parts and finishing the level!

ERZ was exciting. The platforming really slowed down my gameplay. In my opinion a tad too much for a Sonic game.
Act 2 was quite good. The fan part was a bit fiddly. Often I had the feeling I was dying because of things I couldn't possibly have anticipated having played this level for the first time. The part with the latches was a really creative idea in my opinion!

The Metal Sonic part got me really excited. It was here I tossed my gamepad aside and decided to get serious. It remembered myself playing Srb2 race mode online as a kid as though muscle memory and nostalgia kicked into me (wasn't to keen on death match then as I wasn't into shooters then). The last platforming part made lose, however it was fun and I had a feeling I could've won the race if I gave it a few more tries! Strangely enough it made me nostalgic about Sonic CD, which I never played, but now I want to.
The Metal Sonic boss fight felt a fair bit unbalanced, I felt as though I was fighting harder with the camera than with Metal. I also had the feeling the sprites messed up my perception of depth again. After beating Metal I loaded MD2 models for the final boss and had a feeling I had better control over where my characters was heading and the perception of depth was way better.

Those are my ramblings. I really like what you have done! And I am impressed what creative stages you created with those arduous tools.
I think I might read into how the special stages exactly work to obtain all the chaos emeralds. The Nights mode confused me a bit and how to trigger special stages.

Also I think I will read the wiki for a bit and look into mods and modding. This morning I had a peek at the Lua examples for custom characters. I also took a peek at the source code repo but realized that it would take a lot of dedication if I really wanted to contribute something of value, besides I am more of a mediocre python guy but I am curious about the tech behind all this sorcery...

I love the fact that you got Linux PPAs!

Looking through my old posts here kinda made me cringe.
This board feels as though it is filled with like minded geeks still ;)

I hope you are doing great, thanks for the great experience! Maybe I will stick around or grow bored. You never know...

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back