Your image editor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still use Paint Shop Pro 8. No other program I know of is free/cheap, and offers the same kind of workflow I like. It handles both raster and vector layers in images and has quite a few no-brainer features that, for some stupid reason, other programs lack. I mean things like clicking again to change the selection so it contains the alpha/opaque parts of the layer instead of the entire rectangle. What it looks like: http://chaos.foxmage.com/AkuKitsune/ButILikePaintShop.png (Slightly old shot)

By the way, that layers window shrinks itself to get out of the way when I mouse off of it. I cannot tolerate persistent floating windows of any kind blocking the graphics view. Things like centering and scrolling don't take them into account, so you have to move the bloody thing to get to the part it's covering. I do not want to micromanage my windows!

And while Paint Shop Pro can handle vectors, I'd far prefer to do them in Inkscape. Also, I would really like to use a newer program, as there are some parts of the program's design I really don't like (such as the inability to easily edit a 256-color palette and apply those colors without having to merge all layers), but I'm not going to touch Photoshop with a 12 foot pole. That thing just feels so overpriced and unintuitive in several aspects compared to Paint Shop.

Last edited:
Gimp,I use MSPaint mostly.but that's for Spriting only (I didn't make the Ho-oh,It's an offical sprite.

I usually use MS Paint, and I'm really surprised by what it can render if you know what you're doing. If I need to bring out the big guns, I use GIMP.

I'm proud to say that I'm also somewhat skilled with the basics of Adobe Illustrator. It's a fun program.

Last edited:
I principally ink and color my hand drawings in GIMP, since I'm running on Linux.

Though occasionally, when I want to doodle while on my computer, I use Flash 8, simply for its versatility.

Adobe Creative Suite 4 for any serious work, I do also tend to carry around GIMP and Inkscape on a pendrive for portable use.

why not just say cs4?

Common sense? Being on a message board I have all the time I want to post, so why should I not take advantage of this to provide the most information possible? Especially as it takes little effort and could help those who are not familiar with the acronym understand my post.

A better question would be, "Why pull someone up on a message board for using the English language properly?"

Last edited:
A better question would be, "Why pull someone up on a message board for using the English language properly?"

Acronym usage does not necessarily constitute "bad" English, at least not as far as this forum is concerned. More people are familiar with "CS4" anyways, so you might as well use it. Heck, this board's freaking title has an acronym in it. Deal with it.

I use MSPaint if I'm only making simple edits to a picture, and GIMP if I'm doing something more complicated.

MSPaint and occasionally Irfanview for its degree's of paintbucket tool, Which MSpaint resorts to only one, Making it hard to color in different shades of colors without overriding others

I'm using an ancient, unregistered shareware copy of Paint Shop Pro 4. That 30 day trial is lasting a lot longer than they anticipated =P

Used to use an illegal copy of Fireworks before my hard drive got wiped. Now I"m limited to MS Paint until I figure out GIMP (how the HELL do I make things transparent? And why does everything dither when rotated?).

I'm using an ancient, unregistered shareware copy of Paint Shop Pro 4. That 30 day trial is lasting a lot longer than they anticipated =P
That's the trouble with those types of trials. They never expire when they should.

To be fair, PSP4 was coded in the era when Win95 just launched, and not many dabbled into the registry or found a method to securely and discretely record a trial period. Jasc just coming from the 16-bit woodwork of their previous version just stuck that on. PSP2 didn't even EDIT images.

It wasn't until version 6 when the trial period actually 'ended' the program ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back