Suggestions

New command: keepbalance.

0 = Off
1 = Prevents players from switching to the other team if it makes the teams uneven by two players. Default. For use in Team match and CTF.
2 = Same as 1, but also prevents players from joining the team that's in the lead.

New command: keepbalance.

0 = Off
1 = Prevents players from switching to the other team if it makes the teams uneven by two players. Default. For use in Team match and CTF.
2 = Same as 1, but also prevents players from joining the team that's in the lead.
So what happens when there is an uneven amount of players?

So what happens when there is an uneven amount of players?
Maybe it can improve the auto balance command or something, or maybe combine keepbalance with it. The latter sounds best. This is what I suggest:

Improved command: Autobalance.
0 = Off.
1 = Same as it was before, but instead affects the last person who switched/joined instead of an innocent random player.
2 = Same as above, but prevents it from happening in the first place.

I'm not sure which should be the default.

Last edited:
Improved command: Autobalance.
0 = Off.
1 = Same as it was before, but instead affects the last person who switched/joined instead of an innocent random player.
2 = Same as above, but prevents it from happening in the first place.

I'm not sure which should be the default.
I think zero should be default, people can turn it on if they want to.

While you're rewriting the netcode, why not add a voice chat to srb2? I know this would help a lot because of those really annoying spammers that lag up a server just for the fun of it.

If voice chat were added to SRB2, it would lag far more than it already does because the game would have to transmit all that extra audio data. If you want voice chat, run a voice chat program simultaneously while playing SRB2.

While you're rewriting the netcode, why not add a voice chat to srb2? I know this would help a lot because of those really annoying spammers that lag up a server just for the fun of it.

They're not rewriting the netcode, they're fixing bugs that popped up during development.

The problem with this is that the player won't know whether the spring will cancel his/her momentum until they actually hit it, since there's no visual cue associated. And betraying the player's expectations in such a cornerstone game mechanic doesn't leave a good taste in anyone's mouth.

You're better off just making sure the level design conducts the player to lose their momentum willingly. Put the spring next to a wall so the player can just hug the wall and fall directly on the spring, place it in a hole where the player has to manually slow down in order to fall in and touch it, stuff like that. Diagonal springs are often best placed on top of a block so the player can't just run into them and end up holding the forward key one split-second too long, unintentionally sabotaging their own flight path.
Mystic had already said this.

Can lives be removed from Record Attack/Time Attack? I think it's kind of silly of have lives in Record Attack because if you lose a life, you get sent back to the very begging, but for some people (including me) will most likely press the ESC key and return to the Record Attack and load up the stage again if any mistake is made. Instead, if the player dies it would just return them to the Record Attack menu. Just think of it like when you die on Time Attack in the handheld games for Sonic.

That was already done. Dying in Record Attack causes you to go back to the menu. Also, hitting Escape now brings up a menu with Continue/Retry/Abort without pausing the game, so you can just hit down and retry instead of having to go back to the menu each time.

Last edited:
http://wiki.srb2.org/wiki/Console#CAM_ROTSPEED.2FCAM2_ROTSPEED_.3Cinteger.3E

I don't think it has a menu equivalent, nor does it save the value when you exit the game. I'd suggest putting it in your autoexec.cfg with whatever value is most comfortable.

Wow, excuse me while I go and kick myself real quick.
Thanks a lot for the heads up RedEnchilada, this should make playing under my preferred style much more comfortable.
I would still like to see a menu equivalent added at some point in future updates, but this will hold me off just fine.

First, I want to agree with a flag for springs that temporarily disable player control. Cinematics are not necessarily a bad thing, remember, if they're not overused.

Second, an actual suggestion. While we were arguing over the emblems over in the news area, I had an idea: an emblem for stealth. Yeah, it sounds like an achievement but whatever; basically if you go through a map without collecting a single ring, breaking a single item box, checking a single starpost, or destroying a single enemy, you get this emblem. Like ultimate mode but not forced and including enemies. Like you'd get through a level without leaving a trace.

Of course, linedef executers would have to be excluded, because otherwise some maps would be entirely impossible...

Silent star post

I'd like to be able to silent certain star posts by checking an object flag.

Say, I'm making a map whose 1st section is just scenic (as an intro); the player dies, but I don't want him to get through that section again, a star post sector type with a concealed star post would be nice except by the fact the player will hear the noise though.

This may be a small silly feature but, I'd like to see some rewamp to tunes. Being able to change it not only with numbers but also with lump names, ex. tunes AZ for Mystic Realm boss.

Besides the fact that all levels have been designed with the current camera in mind, is there any reason for using the close-up, horizontally-aligned default camera instead of the zoomed-out camera that can be used in Oceanic Cove? The latter camera seems to help with platforming by making your view less obstructed by your character—it feels constricting going back to vanilla SRB2 after playing OC.

@Unknownlight:
You can modify the camera to behave as in OC through the use of a small script*.

Create a plain text file with this:
Code:
bind = "cam_dist 250;cam_height 75;echo Camera modified for better capability over platforming."
bind - "cam_dist 128;cam_height 20;echo Restored default camera settings."
Save it as "camplatforming.txt" in srb2 directory. Then open your autoexec.cfg (or create one if there's none) and add the following line:
Code:
exec "camplatforming.txt"
In game: to adjust the camera, press =. To reset the camera to its defaults, press -.

(* - script made by 123 Runite)

@Ezer.Arch

Thanks, but no, that's not what I meant. While I think the Oceanic Cove camera is actually too distant and angled for its own good, what I was wondering was why the main game's default camera is so close to the characters in the first place, since pulling it back a little helps with seeing stuff around you.

The most noticeable example I can think of is the final rope-pulley section in ACZ. The pulley that leads toward the "cave" section is nearly invisible when using the default camera, forcing you to make a blind jump.

Edit: Actually, here's some screenshots to show what I mean: Default camera. OC Camera.

Again, I think the OC camera is too distant and shouldn't be used, but I think pulling the camera out a tad would be beneficial to gameplay.

Last edited:
since the green archer bot is asymmetrical, why not make the missing 3 rotations for it's animations?

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 3, Members: 0, Guests: 3)

Back