Resource icon

[Character] Hornet MT & AT - Taking NASCARs to a Kart race. Also there's BMT I guess

NotablyPrettyCrazy

Fool or Clown?
OPv2.png

The Hornet that wants to fly sky high! ...But it's not an F/A-18 Hornet, nor is it an actual hornet, so it has to make do with being a fast NASCAR car.

Backstory2.png

* Note: Most of this is a staggering amount of creative liberty, and probably has minimal to do with the actual games
Also this seemed way more compact in notepad.

The story begins in early 1993, actually before the Hornet's first championship appearance, with a dark-green №14 car, it's actually not too important in the grand scheme of things, but it'll set enough of the stage.
See, that dark-green car, is the car that won the 1993 championship, and it was most likely fielded by a British team, you can tell because one of its colors is British Racing Green and it's sponsoring tea.
And as we all know, Britain is the exact opposite of the United States of America, therefore, the exact opposite of NASCAR.
The members of Gallop Racing weren't too amused with the circumstances, if Britain won the '93 championship, what'd happen in the next few years? Canada and Australia teaming up for '95? New Zealand winning in the 2000s?
There's no way someone could sit idly at the possibility of such potential affairs.
Therefore, in a plan to reclaim the championship for the US, they've gotten a sponsorship with an engine & driveshaft supplier, which also makes god-tier gearboxes that can shift from fourth ger to first and back without breaking the car.
After some preparations with 8 testing units, they painted the final vehicle in the patriotic color scheme of blue-red-white, reserved №41 for the '94 championship, and the legacy of the car we would then know as the Hornet, was born.

Well, I say "the final vehicle", but really, there were two of them, the biggest difference between them being their gearbox.
One of the two, the most famous version of the vehicle, had an automatic transmission, better suited for the newer drivers Gallop was hiring in a hurried attempt to find one that would win the championship, but said drivers weren't given much training, a fair lot actually crashed at the third turn of Three-Seven Speedway.
The other machine however, was equipped with a manual transmission which, while you needed to upshift yourself, allowed for an extra 10 km/h of top speed, allowing it to do 325 instead of 315, enough to make a difference on the roads of anything between Three-Seven and Seaside Street Galaxy, and could downshift in turns to get through 'em easier.
At first they had trouble telling the two cars apart, but then they decided to repaint the MT unit, so the rookies wouldn't get into it by accident, however, the painting crew got too carried away and accidentally made its color match an upside-down German flag instead. Fortunately, Germany doesn't use English as a primary language, so Germany wouldn't be likely to race in the championships.
Three races into the 1994 series, and the result of Gallop Racing's efforts ended up being highly dependent on the player's skill but for the story's sake we will say that it was successful, to the point of being the winning team for 1994 altogether, bringing morale back to lots of USA-based teams.
Gallop Racing had quite a bit of fun with this themselves, sometimes just sending out the test units to the races as well.

Fast forward to the 1995 races, the racetrack line-up was very similar, but there were slight changes, such as the manual machine no longer looking like an upside-down German flag, and they were even more likely to race the test units, which now also had the №41 on them as well.
Unfortunately, not all was quite well in '95, due to some unknown change in the regulations, the races felt slower and stutterier, AKA the framerate difference between Model 2 arcades and the Saturn, paired up with similar tracks, this led to an incident where, in Dinosaur Canyon, one of the drivers got bored and drove out of the racetrack on purpose.
This ended with the Hornet engine supplier directly cutting ties with Gallop for the two following years, which left every party involved frustrated, to the point that the cars themselves joined a fighting tournament as a result.
Back at the championships themselves, Hornet and Gallop were, of course, no longer together, and each raced their own cars for the '96 and '97 championships. There were also two extra tracks in the roster to prevent incidents like in '95 again.
Despite Gallop and Hornet being split, it was still possible in the regulations to race the original '94 car, and someone without any particular team allegiance did just that, so after a certain point, Hornet and Gallop joined together to cooperate with a single car again, just not in 1998.

1998 was a time of change for the racing series, all-new tracks were used instead of bringing the old ones, and new vehicles were in the spotlight, like the car fielded by Scorpio Plasma, or the machine ran by the Phantom Full Force team.
The Hornet+Gallop car used an all-new body, as well as engine, which made it look like a formidable opponent. As it turned out though, the changes didn't quite go as planned, as the car was actually slower than the original even with the MT, upon the realization, the Hornet was withdrawn from the '98 championship, to be prepared for the '99 series.
And back in 1999 they were. While the improved Hornet still didn't reach speeds as fast as the Phantom car, the former had the advantage of easier control, and also still being able to do a 4-1-4 shift no problem due to the godly-built gearbox. Though, it was a bit more even with the Scorio vehicle, which couldn't do the 4-1-4 shift, but was still slightly faster than the Hornet.
Also, don't forget the plethora of extra Hornet vehicles for the '99 series either, there were twice as many of those as there were in '94. A few of them have very peculiar liveries.
But there was no particular championship going on in 2000, the series managers got into a dispute with the owners of the '98 racetracks, already on thin ice after having to replace the Astro Waterfall Speedway with the SEGA International Speedway in the '99 series. Likewise J.C. Eagle having to sponsor the Chums Gum car in '99.

Afterwards, there was the 2001 championship where, the '99 teams and tracks were nowhere to be seen, presumably they took the side of the racetrack owners in the 2000 dispute.
But with their loss, the '94 and '97 tracks were brought back, alongside three new tracks introduced for the 2001 series. Though, the regulations themselves took an odd turn.
With the new regulations, not only could the tires be changed for different handling, but the bodystyles were way different, leading to a really odd looking Hornet for the 2001 series, not only that but they could also field a third car on the off-chance.
And not just the bodywork was different, the regulations now allowed a very, very strange set of cars to be used, some of which were quite far from being NASCAR stock cars. The Lightning, which is basically an RX-7 turned NASCAR, wasn't even the tip of the iceberg for the 2001 cars, but the absurd ones would need to be seen to be believed.
Despite the new and old tracks, the 2001 series proved divisive, with some of the drivers not taking a particular liking how the cars in the 2001 series handled. This was enough for the series to not return for nearly a decade, until...

In 2009-2010, the original organizers of the series ran a classic championship, reminiscent of the old 1994 days, with the old '94 Hornets but they didn't quite have the budget for licensing, so they had to cut costs in that aspect.
That said, they did get the sponsors for the series in 2011 which proved fairly popular despite lacking the aspects past the '94 series, but they made up for it with online multiplayer quite the national, and international selection of drivers, allowing just about anyone to race the fabled Hornet once more.
THen in 2017, a refreshed series was attempted once again, with a somewhat-'90s Hornet not quite the '94 model alongside new, modern ones, but more noteworthy is that it was the first championship in the Daytona USA series to actually allow you to race on the Daytona International Speedway even if it's just a funny-looking Three-Seven there.

Even if its other incarnations weren't considered as noteworthy, the original '94 AT Hornet has made quite the mark in history, with the original '94 being invited to another racing series involving some ridges, where it also had access to nitrous boost, which made it just a tad faster than in its home series.
And while it's not quite the original vehicle, as anyone could tell by the proportions, a car reminiscent of it was used as a ground vehicle in a fairly All-Stars series of races, alongside a certain Tomcat being the air vehicle.
History didn't treat the MT quite as well, the AT was more often recognized after all, but the Hornet in Ridge Racer was paintable, so it could be made to look like the MT.
And now, the MT Hornet stumbled its way onto a Kart racing series, after being allured by a Daytona Speedway in the lineup, somewhat missing the part this is, er, a racing series for karts.
At some point though, the AT Hornet realized what the MT was doing. Not sure how, mind you, saw like only four servers hosting the MT on like the first week. But I guess it was possible that it saw it trying laps on Daytona Speedway by itself and wanted to join in. All the while the MT got compatibility for a simple sequential transmission in the meantime in hopes of finding more drivers.
Wait, Did I say the MT? I meant one-of-the-two MTs because there were two, but the second one got battered by SPBs so hard after spectacularly failing a Boiling Bedrock jump that it can't shift out of first if it isn't using a boost item, that and secondary paint is too expensive for it afterwards so it's stuck with the orange paint on the bonnet+roof+trunk.
Oh, and not only is Sonic present at the third turn of Three-Seven Speedway but there's also a Hornet van present in Studiopolis alongside a Gallop lottery machine.
Which definitely means this is all canon in the Sonic universe /s

Abilities-Lua.png

Maybe this'll be shorter than the above bit

As this is far from a normal Kart character, the HornetMT has a fair lot of features, including, in no particular order of importance:
  • Gears! RPM! High Speeds! Wouldn't exactly be a full-on Hornet without them otherwise, Use Custom1, Custom2, Custom3 to shift to 2nd, 3rd and 4th respectively because there's no Custom4 and above., to shift back to 1st gear, press the Custom key of the gear you're already in.
    - Do note, car physics apply, so you can't just sit in 3rd-4th and except those to keep working at 5 km/h
    -- Also, look out for jumps, some of them weren't made with speeds above the vanilla hard speed in mind.
    --- The gear/rpm physics might be a tad different than they were in Daytona USA
  • Side sprites that almost make SRB2's screen width cry
  • 45-degree sprites that do make the character select screen cry
  • A slightly improved secondcolor script, courtesy of Lach, that would operate with MD2s Just that the modelling person I was planning on asking to model it doesn't know how to work with Misfit, whoops., featuring referential color palettes to not just other Daytona USA color schemes or vehicles, but also a few that aren't strictly Daytona USA. Also turned out the gif was too big for the MB attachments.
  • Thanks to a select amount of people listed in the Credits section, Engine sounds that operate based on RPM.
  • On the note of sounds, imagine if the Memes voice setting allowed for different voicelines instead of removing the voiceline cooldown, I did. and thus hornetvoice was born, with a choice between car noises, the crew chief, or just Mitsuyoshi. But I will mention replacing the winning/losing voicelines with the script didn't really work, so those were just set to Mitsuyoshi's in the S_SKIN instead.
    - Furthermore, if the hornetvoice command is set to Mitsuyoshi, different themes for invincibility and grow play. As well as an attempt at changing the alarm sounds but it can sound like knocking sometimes.
  • A unique first-person interior! Works mostly as intended in green resolutions. Just that in splitscreen you can't actually hud.disable the vanilla kart interior(yet?). And the interior elements overlap the other more-important bits of the hud, but the lap/bumper counter somewhat works except for taking the CVar maxlaps/startbumpers into account.
  • A HUD that's similar to the one from the original Daytona USA, if you want to switch to Mph instead of km/h for some reason, use hornetspeedometer miles to change it thusly. which might also not fully work in non-green interiors
  • A size that... ...Might make drivers on hazardous courses cry, but the camera can't be lua'd at all, so just try fiddling with cam_height or cam_dist if you find yourself needing visibility, cam_height 65/75 seems decent.
  • 'Mazingly, a way larger filesize than its DLC for Ridge Racer Vita.
  • Both Rainbow Road maps instantly becoming Map Hell material if using the HornetMT, especially above 200 ms of ping.
  • An explanation screen on an off-chance anyone downloads it off of a server instead of the MB.
  • Now, also the AT Hornet, which trades off some accel and top speed for not having to shift altogether, depending on circumstances, this can be a good or bad thing.
  • A hornetshifter command to change to a simpler but less flexible control scheme for gear shifts to more easily get used to the manual Hornet
  • I kept the function unmentioned so nobody tried it out in splitscreen, Forgot to mention it, but secondcolor works as a command in the console, allowing you full control of your own color combos and/or references.
  • An incredibly broken-down Hornet MT separate from the other two that can't shift out of first and includes just about minimum of the other features listed above. Bit harder to gamebalance something in a game that has variabying gamespeed which isn't checkable in lua and otherwise drives using it. Also its pictures and minimap icon come with a permanent mark of shame for it

And if such a list doesn't interest you, maybe these quotes will:
gregory_house: here we're gonna have to apply a bit of spannometry
gregory_house: do you know what that is
Me: Clearly an -ometry that measures spanners
gregory_house: it's not a real science or math it's a colloquial term in italian only that comes from "spanna"
gregory_house: aka the length of a hand more or less
gregory_house: aka whatever looks like it works
^-The gears lua person describing the math for speed and RPM for the gears
gregory_house: 1.0.3 comes out
gregory_house: this wad releases

gregory_house: 1.0.4 comes out with no Hornet signs everywhere
^-The gears lua person further describing the speed
It's a Civ char with such a unique play style that no civ char ever before has ever been designed this way. It's not just outside the box, it's in an entirely separate hypercube.
^-A definitely legit quote about the character stat screen being a massive liar Unless you've added the BMT for whatever reason you're adding it instead of the MT & AT
make it squish everyone that touches it
^-An Ampersand indirectly giving me ideas That I would've carried on with if I was productive enough to know how to lua a command to toggle the HornetMT inflicting squishing, let alone knowing how to inflict squishing.
I think the idea's a bit too ambitious to even remotely work
^-Lat' on the 22nd of November, and this post right before I'm going to feed him his words with the original context removed.
Feature creep? What's feature creep, never heard of it
^-Basically my development process
At some point, however, AT Horn realized what MT did. As you can see, I do not know that there are only four servers hosting the TM in the first week. However, I saw that I was doing tricks only at Dayton Speedway and I wanted to participate. In the meantime, MT has achieved a simple serial transfer compatibility between them to find more control.
Wait, did I tell you? I talked about one of the two screens, but there were two, but the SPB had the power to escape from the first shot without using element amplification. The second image is too expensive later, so sit and lock on the orange lid + roof + chest.
^-A bot going insane after reading the new bit of story for 1000 hours according to .Jazz..
Another one also read the pre-AT features list apparently but that's not in a convenient quoting format

Credit.png

If I forgot someone, mention it to me.
  • .Jazz./Jazzz - voiceclip sounds, invincibility/grow music, slight secondcolor-combination feedback, online playtesting, the gif showcasing the secondcolors.
  • gregory_house - Coding the gears lua, general lua assitance.
  • Lat' - Allowing permission to use the font lua, general lua assistance, Kart lua documentation.
  • Lach - Secondcolor lua.
  • Namolos - Original enginesound replacement lua.
  • Tiniest Turtles - Providing the Hornet model and textures for it. But as I've mentioned in the thread OP already, our modelling person doesn't know how to use misfit, double whoops.
  • Strife, Corbond - Ripping/Allowing the enginesounds to be used, With Corbond also possibly recreating the model for Tiniest Turtles?
  • Dimpsuu - Allowing permission to use different invincibility music, just in-case.
  • LightSpeedAngel, Soniko - Playtesting, furthermore, Soniko being the Hornet in the first image, as well as the Hornet and SDHornet in the size comparison image.
  • Chrispy - Motivating me to sprite faster than I otherwise would've by mentioning he was doing a Hornet in the first place.
  • MotorRoach, Chrispy & Corbond again - Creating the other Hornets and their sprites, competition is appreciated.
  • A guy unrelated to the community - A spritesheet for the Daytona USA hud elements that made using them slightly more convenient
  • Daytona USA, its devs & Takenobu Mitsuyoshi - These should be pretty obvious.

V2.1
- Turns out the interior scripts didn't quite work properly with netgames and I never noticed because I didn't have the other splitscreen players actually join as non-spectators in a test session, whoops.
- Updated the secondcolor lua to the newer version

V2
- The Hornet AT is now included alongside the MT. Which i did consider being a separate command + thirdcolor onto the MT, but both of the lua people I'm friends with told me that was a dumb idea.
- Fixed sunday driving in third and fourth with wipezones added
- Some sprites were edited because a bit of old rubber apparently got stuck between the front fenders
- Secondcolor, while working with the new colors due to how it was coded, had its locals altered a bit to allow for better secondcolor combos.
- Certain secondcolor combos are different for the AT, in an attempt to make it stand out a bit more from the MT
- You might or might not've not been might not've been aware of it, but the secondcolor2-4 commands didn't exactly function in splitscreen, instead changing the secondcolor on Player 1 instead. While I did DM Lach about it pre-MT-release, I didn't get much response, but the script has now been changed a bit to accomodate for that, so I hope there's not much problem because of that.
- A command to change up the MT control scheme for something simpler, with a change on the hornethelp text to accomodate it
- Speaking of the MT, there's also separately now a broken one that's 100% lua-and-fun-features-free, but very elligible for Record Attack without getting a hold of socs for it. And even then this one mainly exists because we can't check the gamespeed in lua.
- Turns out the inclusion of the AT makes the act of balancing the MT with its speed a bit harder to do, so the MT's speed wasn't actually changed to be more accurate with the Daytona USA version, whoops.

V1
- Initial release, just the MT

Right then, look at some of the attachment images if you need to, and then if you want to, try the car out!

Quick note: the HornetBMT is a lualess version meant to be added in servers that care more about gamebalance, adding it with MTAT is completely redundant and renders the BMT either moot or a joke

Note 2: If I for some particular reason happen to disappear for around 2 months without contact, I give blanket permission for STJr and its appointed staff to coordinate and approve the porting and maintenance of my releases on the SRB2MB, as long as whoever ports HornetMTAT retains every lua functionality. I reserve the right to ask for those ports to be taken down or replaced if I return.

Attachments

• OPv2.png
    OPv2.png
    380.8 KB · Views: 2,129
  • OPv2.png
    OPv2.png
    380.8 KB · Views: 1,708
  • kart0051.png
    kart0051.png
    280.9 KB · Views: 1,245
  • kart0051.png
    kart0051.png
    280.9 KB · Views: 1,271
  • kart00100.jpg
    kart00100.jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 1,470
  • kart00100.jpg
    kart00100.jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 1,458
  • kart0033.gif
    kart0033.gif
    4.4 MB · Views: 1,948
  • kart0033.gif
    kart0033.gif
    4.4 MB · Views: 1,641
  • kart0079.png
    kart0079.png
    117.9 KB · Views: 1,911
  • kart0079.png
    kart0079.png
    117.9 KB · Views: 1,836
  • HornetV2.png
    HornetV2.png
    358.9 KB · Views: 1,386
  • HornetV2.png
    HornetV2.png
    358.9 KB · Views: 1,395
  • kart0109.png
    kart0109.png
    118.5 KB · Views: 814
  • kart0109.png
    kart0109.png
    118.5 KB · Views: 801
  • KCL_HornetMTAT_V2.1+BMT_V0.1.zip
    4.4 MB · Views: 1,479
Last edited:
Okay, this is pretty amazing, and insane, but... could you use more spoiler tags in your post to make scrolling easier? I'm ok with you having a lot to say, but man, is it gonna be annoying to scroll through when coming back to this topic... And speaking of reading, is there a command to disable the instructions after you've read them?

Other than that... dang, this is something special.

Noted, spoilered anything short of the stuff listed in abilities, also the instructions go away automatically after a certain time has passed. ..Which admittedly is probably not ideal for a host.

I'll admit, I LOVE this character, it's just so satisfying when you figure out how to control the damn thing, but that's also one of its biggest downfalls and I want to see it nerfed BECAUSE I love it so much.

I think the Hornet brings a lot of unique ideas to the table, however I have a couple things that I would like to see tweaked:
-The car goes way too fast at gear 1 at max RPM, it's easy to just stay in gear 1, hold down accelerate and just bounce off walls as you drift, this takes the entire point of skill mastery out of the equation.
--The car goes too fast in general, this makes every map feel like map hell to me unless I specifically brake and take it slowly, which this car doesn't allow me to do very easily. It also ruins any sort of competition with other racers because the lowest gear can top any racer simply by holding accelerate, I get that this is supposed to be based on a NASCAR but at the same time game balance takes priority over realism.

-You can outrun the SPB wayyyy too easily, I outran ONE for an entire race and that's something I could NEVER do with any other character. As exhilarating as it is to finally be able to do it, I wanna earn it by skill and practice, not by getting decent with a broken character.

-The acceleration in some cases is way too fast, I went into battle mode and while I couldn't really hit anybody with items... I did crash into them a bunch which allowed me to score a lot of free points once I lost all my bumpers.

-I would suggest an option to toggle a different control scheme for the shifting, perhaps C1 for shift down, C2 for shift up, and C3 for a quick shift back to gear 1, alternatively you could make one of the C3 a clutch and use forward, back, C1 and C2 for quicker access.

This character is a BLAST to play as, whizzing around the tracks at a million miles an hour barely escaping doom (or landing directly in it) just feels so great, I just wish my friends playing other characters felt the same way about it as I was playing.

PS: PLEASE someone make an MD2 for this, it makes it way easier to judge just how much room I have before I crash.

A release worthy of a red carpet.
Every single bit of this wad (Including the release thread!) has an insane amount of effort, and it shows. The spritework is just magnifique and the gameplay it brings is very unique. Challenging but very rewarding.
Daytona USA veterans will love this a lot. I totally recommend downloading this.

HornetV2.png

Despite its odd absence earlier, the AT has now also joined for the races. ...Whichever races these two will find, anyway.

- The Hornet AT is now included alongside the MT. Which i did consider being a separate command + thirdcolor onto the MT, but both of the lua people I'm friends with told me that was a dumb idea.
- Fixed sunday driving in third and fourth with wipezones added
- Some sprites were edited because a bit of old rubber apparently got stuck between the front fenders
- Secondcolor, while working with the new colors due to how it was coded, had its locals altered a bit to allow for better secondcolor combos.
- Certain secondcolor combos are different for the AT, in an attempt to make it stand out a bit more from the MT
- You might or might not've not been might not've been aware of it, but the secondcolor2-4 commands didn't exactly function in splitscreen, instead changing the secondcolor on Player 1 instead. While I did DM Lach about it pre-MT-release, I didn't get much response, but the script has now been changed a bit to accomodate for that, so I hope there's not much problem because of that.
- A command to change up the MT control scheme for something simpler, with a change on the hornethelp text to accomodate it
- Speaking of the MT, there's also separately now a broken one that's 100% lua-and-fun-features-free, but very elligible for Record Attack without getting a hold of socs for it. And even then this one mainly exists because we can't check the gamespeed in lua.
- Turns out the inclusion of the AT makes the act of balancing the MT with its speed a bit harder to do, so the MT's speed wasn't actually changed to be more accurate with the Daytona USA version, whoops.
- The story, featureslist and the quotes section on the OP post were altered to account for V2

A not at all quick because I was thinking there was something else that was needing fixing when there wasn't hotfix update, turns out online splitscreen interiors/HUD didn't quite work. ...Probably because I never had the splitscreen players join in as non-spectators due to not having binds for it set up and not looking at the pause menu, whoops.

Also the secondcolor lua was updated to the newer version.
The HornetBMT is absolutely the same as it was in the V2 zip.
Also, bit odd that editing the version was in addon settings and not addon details but ah well

Hey, would you mind if i use the title screen graphic?, I am making a daytona cup, so it would fit better

I would love a version that controls like a normal kart without the gear stuff since I would love to have this on my server I am setting up if it was not for that

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back