What's wrong with the wad file?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Espyo

My wad file has a little glitch. I have never created character wads before, but I think that it isn't hard.
Here, I have a simple wadfile (a Max Damage, from Carmageddon 2 character), and, when I try to load the game with that file, It shows me up an error, saying: "R_InstallSpriteLump: Bad frame characteres in lump SQUID6".
Also, there was once a time when I load the wad file after the game started, it will add me a map, a large rectangular map, with a blue spring on a corner; and that map isn't even found anywhere in the wad!
I even tried adding the SQUID6 lump, but it doesn't work!
Can someone please tell me what is the problem?
Here is the download link:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/0s743i
In this wadfile there are very strange things, but just ignore them.

okay. I have no idea why this works, it just does. Instead of using the wad file, use the latest XWE backup of that file.

Well, can someone, at least show me a SIMPLE (for babies, praticlly) tutorial on how to make a character; the simplest?
Or at least an Administrator could give me some help.

The word "Administrator" doesn't mean "Know-it-all". :E

Anyway, aht is the only character wad tutorial that I know of, and it's easy to understand. It's about as simple as it gets.

Sprite names can only be four characters long

SQID

instead of

SQUID

The entry "SQUID6" also makes no sense. Wouldn't you have a SQIDA1, SQIDA2A8, SQIDA3A6, SQIDA4A6, etc.?

I know something to make it work. First download a working character wad. Then replace all sprites. Simple, right? If you see a standing image from the back, you need to replace it with your character wad's standing back frame.

When was the first time I made a "working" character wad? Oh, yeah right! The Mystic Shadow wad! After I made that, all the character wads I make are based on that wad. To ensure it works! What? Expected SMS to be the first working one? Nope, not at all. Ree-c helped me wadding SMS, but SMS still had the spring bug and a weird FOF crashing bug.

I then based SMS on the Mystic Shadow wad, and it finally worked out the right way!

I find what SMS says to be most usefull. The Draykon WAD is just Flame the Hedgehog with S_Skin messed up and replaced sprites.

SSNTails said:
The entry "SQUID6" also makes no sense. Wouldn't you have a SQIDA1, SQIDA2A8, SQIDA3A6, SQIDA4A6, etc.?

Not necesarily.
I find it a necessity when the sprite frames, and not the sprites themselves, are all different sizes. In that case, you need to use that method, and rearrange the offsets to keep the sprites from bouncing around in the game. That can be a pain, but it also allows for a bit more consistency when organizing sprites. Like, instead of just flipping the sprites for the opposite direction, you can organize it like it would really look like. Sort of like 3D model consistency. :)

ree-c said:
The word "Administrator" doesn't mean "Know-it-all". :E

Anyway, aht is the only character wad tutorial that I know of, and it's easy to understand. It's about as simple as it gets.

I know it doesn't, but the administators ARE praticlly the creators of the game (unless I'm wrong, because if I am, ignore me).

SSNTails said:
Sprite names can only be four characters long

SQID

instead of

SQUID

I know! About that lump:
If you start the game using my corrupt wad, it will show a message saying that there is some error on lump SQUID6.
Desperatlly, I tried to add that lump.

Super mystic sonic said:
I know something to make it work. First download a working character wad. Then replace all sprites. Simple, right? If you see a standing image from the back, you need to replace it with your character wad's standing back frame.

When was the first time I made a "working" character wad? Oh, yeah right! The Mystic Shadow wad! After I made that, all the character wads I make are based on that wad. To ensure it works! What? Expected SMS to be the first working one? Nope, not at all. Ree-c helped me wadding SMS, but SMS still had the spring bug and a weird FOF crashing bug.

I then based SMS on the Mystic Shadow wad, and it finally worked out the right way!
I WAS going to do that, but I haven't felt like that.
I just tried, and that works. Thanks.

Yes, everything works out ok. I based myself on shadow wad.
But I'm having trouble on the lump SHADCHAR.
Everything else is OK.

Ok.
Oh, and my SHADNAME and SHADFACE are floating in-game.
I'll send a screenshot whenever I can.
I was able to see this "floating bug" because I entered the game as Sonic, and type in the console devmode and skin max.
EDIT:I think I just found a way, and you, Dark Warrior, helpd me, indirectlly:http://www.sepwich.com/ssntails/mb/viewtopic.php?t=3145.
But I'm still having trouble with SHADCHAR.[/url]

OOPS! Sorry, just trying to "oblige" you to download the file.
But my problem is the following:
My character as an orange tone!
I tried fixing everything but I think that some information is missing.

I can't download the file due to my virus-paranoid parents, but it sounds to me like you set prefcolor to something it needs to not be. I can never remember all the values, but I know that 1 is gold.

"name = Max
face = SBOSHLIF
facename = SHADNAME
ability = 4
normalspeed = 36
thrustfactor = 3
accelstart = 100
acceleration = 40
spin = 0
startcolor = 115
endcolor = 115
jumpheight = 100
prefcolor = 14"
That's my S_SKIN lump.
I've tried changing everything!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back