Countdown Mode (V3.1)

[Open Assets] Countdown Mode (V3.1) 3.1

This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.

Latius

Hybrid Kart Mapper/Porter
In the event I do not log in for a month and cannot be contacted, I give blanket permission for Kart Krew and their appointed staff to coordinate and approve the porting and maintenance of my SRB2Kart releases on the SRB2MB, except where stated otherwise. I reserve the right to ask for those ports to be taken down or replaced if I return. You may not edit my work to create other content (such as Original Characters or Remix Stages) unless specified.

Countdown Mode

Inspired by the Countdown mode made by Mr. Bean 35000VR, this mode has players race against the clock to complete as many laps as possible before time runs out.

Current version: Kart V3.1

attachment.php

Commands:
  • CountWelcome - Gives a welcome command.
  • CountHelp - Gives a list of commands and (nearly all) netvars which can be changed.
  • CountSettings - Shows the current settings, and the time bonuses for each enabled setting.

Version Details:
V3.1
  • A few Quality of Life tweaks
  • Changed the default settings to make it where Drift bonuses aren't given except in Freeplay by default, the starting time is 2 minutes, the Start Boost is disabled,, and KOs give 6 seconds of time (for a max game length of 3 minutes)

V3.0.1
  • Added in a way to enable or disable Countdown mode using "cd_enabled"

V3.0
  • After a year of no real updates, Countdown has been updated to be more connectable with other mods, while removing bits for mods which are deprecated
  • The bonuses are moved to their own functions, which could possibly be called by other mods
  • Sinks now deal 3x bonus time, and ignore the cap!
  • Lock-on feature for Acrobatics (cd_trickbonus) prepped ready for integration with it and other trick mods
  • Slight HUD improvement for when the time remaining is less than 10 seconds
  • Splitscreen fixes for when on a server implemented

V2.1
  • Renamed to just Countdown Mode, as this is currently the only known Countdown Mode Mod
  • Fixed some bugs regarding colourhud not displaying the text right in single-player and split-screen
  • Alternative version added! V2.1.t adds in a modified version of Afrorule's Tricks mod and can grant bonus time from landing tricks!

V2.0.0
  • Updated to take advantage of Kart Version 1.1
  • Attacks are now added back in!
  • Added a KO count for when attacks are enabled
  • Secret meme setting added. (DEJA VU!)

V1.10.0
  • Patched the 'glitch' of drift time being gained during death, but keeping it possible to use it to gain a bit of bonus time.
  • PK3 Support

V1.9.2
A few changes which I forgot about, but which include a new time gain mode.

V1.8
  • Changed the version numbering
  • Added a new way to gain time at the start from the Start Boost.

V1.0.1-G
  • Addition of new SFXs for bonus time and for when time is about to run out, replacing the Ruby SFX

V1.0.1-F.3
  • More patching for the HUD and the like

V1.0.1-F.2
  • Bonus time now shows in 3/4 player split-screen games
  • Streamlined some of the code
  • Fixed a bug which prevented the "OUT" showing on the lap counter

V1.0.1-F.1
  • Fixed missing text in Splitscreen Mode
  • Added in bonus time text for 2-player split-screen mode

V1.0.1-F
  • Now works in Splitscreen Mode!

V1.0.1-E
  • Updated to work with the Team addon planned for release
  • Coloured HUD timer and lap counter based on skin colour! Off by default.

V1.0.1-D
  • Fixed bugs missed in 1.0.1-C

V1.0.1-C
  • Added in spectator detection and ignoring

V1.0.1-B
  • Few minor fixes
  • Addition of Team Mode stuff for compatibility with a (future) Freeplay Mod

V1.0.1-A
  • First full release

Supporters / Co-Authors:

Attachments

• LatiCountdownSolo.png
    LatiCountdownSolo.png
    273.4 KB · Views: 8,512
  • kl_Countdown-V3.1.pk3
    222.2 KB · Views: 292
Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, the new 1.0.1-f update now includes Splitscreen compatibility, for 2, 3 or even 4 players!

(Just patched, fixing a mistake in 3 or 4 player Splitscreen games, while also adding in 2-player bonus time notifications)

Last edited:
While it seems there's still work to be done, I think this mod has done enough to justify being put into releases by now. Again, still haven't been able to test full netgames with it, but I think there's enough functionality here to prove it isn't... broken or something, at least. I'll let it into releases for further testing and feedback by the public. Welcome to releases!

VErsion 1.0.1-G is now out, with some additions of some SFX for bonus time and when time is nearly over.

UPDATE: Version 1.8 is now out.

Last edited:
I forgot to mention it, but I have made some additions to Countdown Mode, including boostpad bonus time as an option.

Time bug

Thank you for this wonderful game mode. My friend and I have been having a lot of fun with it.
Through our fanatical drifting, we discovered a bug. If you have just released a drift boost and you drive off the track, time is added to your remaining time as you die and respawn. The amount of time that is added seems to depend on the colour of the drift boost that was released just before driving off the track.

This happens online as well as offline, and it happens in Kart v1.0.1 as well as v1.0.2
I have attached a gif that demonstrates the bug.

Attachments

• CountdownTimeBug.gif
    CountdownTimeBug.gif
    2.2 MB · Views: 377
Last edited:
Thank you for this wonderful game mode. My friend and I have been having a lot of fun with it.
Through our fanatical drifting, we discovered a bug. If you have just released a drift boost and you drive off the track, time is added to your remaining time as you die and respawn. The amount of time that is added seems to depend on the colour of the drift boost that was released just before driving off the track.

This happens online as well as offline, and it happens in Kart v1.0.1 as well as v1.0.2
I have attached a gif that demonstrates the bug.

I already know about that bug. But I see that as more of a secret feature - partly as depending on what drift you had, the bonus may just be enough to get you back to where you were before that bonus time had been used. Although I will admit, it might be wise for me to try and edit that bug so that you don't get so much bonus from it.

EDIT: 1.10.0 is out, which patches this glitch and finally moves to PK3

Last edited:
Thanks for the fast action!
I think that a bonus of just a few seconds might be alright, but as it was, you could get over a minute of extra time from driving off with a rainbow drift bonus, which got really excessive and exploitable. (We both ended up finishing all 42 laps op Ghost Valley thanks to it.)

After nearly a year of no updates, V3 is now out. Unlike V2.1, there's only a single version, but this one has the option to integrate with trick mods, thanks to cd_trickbonus()

I also changed the CVars to use the cd_ prefix - so you have cd_time instead of counttime.

Edit: I released a small patch which allows for Countdown to be turned off, mainly for servers with multiple game modes.

Last edited:
Just played this in a short netgame session. Unless I misunderstand how the mode is supposed to work, there are some pretty major issues.

1. High spark rate is pretty overpowered. No matter how fast you are, characters that can squeak reds or rainbows on every turn will make it much farther.
2. Players can easily live forever, given the right course and with the right stats; playing as Gamma, I'd added 2 minutes to my initial time after 3 laps on Petroleum Refinery.
3. You can easily red MT in a circle and live forever, using any stats; I was able to consistently gain time doing this as Flicky. This means that anyone can hold a netgame session hostage whenever they want.
4. [edit] Suiciding with a charged drift generates MASSIVE amounts of time while you're dying.

A few players in the session also reported sound spam when joining and erroneously getting +5 seconds for red MTs (this didn't seem consistent in our session). I'd take a look at midgame joining and see if you can get some error print.

This is super compelling if you agree to play fair and the map doesn't let you live forever, though it could use some extra help text—I think most people thought it was an elimination-style mode and didn't notice the lap counter (which overlapped the speedometer on my screen). With a second pass, this could be really neat IMO.

Last edited:
Just played this in a short netgame session. Unless I misunderstand how the mode is supposed to work, there are some pretty major issues.

1. High spark rate is pretty overpowered. No matter how fast you are, characters that can squeak reds or rainbows on every turn will make it much farther.
2. Players can easily live forever, given the right course and with the right stats; playing as Gamma, I'd added 2 minutes to my initial time after 3 laps on Petroleum Refinery.
3. You can easily red MT in a circle and live forever, using any stats; I was able to consistently gain time doing this as Flicky. This means that anyone can hold a netgame session hostage whenever they want.
4. [edit] Suiciding with a charged drift generates MASSIVE amounts of time while you're dying.

A few players in the session also reported sound spam when joining and erroneously getting +5 seconds for red MTs (this didn't seem consistent in our session). I'd take a look at midgame joining and see if you can get some error print.

This is super compelling if you agree to play fair and the map doesn't let you live forever, though it could use some extra help text—I think most people thought it was an elimination-style mode and didn't notice the lap counter (which overlapped the speedometer on my screen). With a second pass, this could be really neat IMO.

That's because the intended way is more KOs, at least in a multiplayer race. What I may do is have drift time boosts naturally disabled outside of Freeplay, but this mod I will admit is somewhat of a precursor to DaytonaKart, and is mainly here for legacy reasons.

Edit: I just realised it is in the 3.1 patch which I never released yet, so might as well release it.

Last edited:
Splitscreen support isn't working also when I play in Splitscreen mode the console gets flooded with "WARNING: ./ZAddons/kl_Countdown-V3.1.pk3|Lua/Countdown.lua:614: attempt to index global 'c' (a number value)"

Edit: I fixed it myself, just replace "local n = c.pnum" in line 614 with "local n = p.splitscreenindex +1" and the hud should be displayed correctly in splitscreen mode, also the warnings should be gone.

Last edited:

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back