8. Alabaster Fountain Zone by BronsoKip
9. Gate Garden Zone by Ruberjig
10. Fatal Factory Zone by Kuba11
11. Dark Marsh by Vixuzen
12. Shadow of Aztlán Zone by akirahedgehog
13. Galactic Facility Zone by Mondongo
14. Hakuryu Dojo by Zaxel
15. Aquatic Port by WasifBoomz
Congratulations Rogerregorroger, you won.
I will not be voting on circuit and battle because I have no friends. :(

InsaneSonic's OLDC Votes.

My Votes: 1. Knothole Coast by Apollyon
2. Foliage Furnace Zone by Kanna/Kwiin
3. Pagoda Park by Rogerregorroger
4. Aquatic Port by WasifBoomz
5. Emerald Aether Zone by Krabs
6. Gate Garden Zone by Ruberjig
7. Overgrown Heights Zone act 2 by InferNOr
8. Fatal Factory Zone by Kuba11
9. Azlant Ruin Zone by Gambit
10. Galactic Facility Zone by Mondongo
11. Alabaster Fountain Zone by BronsoKip
12. Square City Zone by Riolucariolu
13. Dark Marsh by Vixuzen
14. Hakuryu Dojo by Zaxel
15. Shadow of Aztlán Zone by akirahedgehog

Here are the comments I have posted in the voting thread already, though I've sorted the order of the levels alphabetically.

As usual, here's the playlist of my first playthrough

Alabaster Fountain Zone by BronsoKip

After an initial lackluster experience in no small part thanks to me having MIDI disabled and thinking there’s no music, this level really surprised with how big it is. There’s multiple paths here that add a ton of replay value, especially for playing with different characters. One of the problems you’ve probably already heard about is the graphical glitches and some of the waterfalls not moving.

Aquatic Port by WasifBoomz

This is miles better than Hypertower was, but isn’t all that amazing. While the design logic is much better, there are still some parts where it isn’t clear what you have to do. Two examples are the platform you need to bring down so you can proceed, and the block puzzle with the switches. Don’t take the low placement of the level to mean that it’s bad though, it just wasn’t as good as the rest of the levels.

Azlant Ruin Zone by Gambit

I start the level and immediately get greeted with a ramp that I get stuck on if I don’t roll into a ball, at which point I go so high I skip over an entire part of the level. That doesn’t really look good to be honest. But anyway, the left path is unintuitive with how to proceed, and right path is just not fun at all. The aqueduct part is neat though, but then it’s followed up with an auto-scroll part where the water works weird and that leads to a Metal Sonic fight which I’m not a fan of.

Dark Marsh by Vixuzen

Despite this level’s difficulty, I really like it. It resembles a Rayman 2 level, what with all the nice textures and theming. One thing I’d really like to be changed is the amount enemies, because there’s way too many Robo-Hoods shooting at me in the open areas. Also one thing I’d change is that checkpoint that’s right in front of a deathpit. Put it a bit to the side so that the player doesn’t immediately walk into the pit if they press forward.

Emerald Aether Zone by Krabs

Ooh, this level is a lot of fun. It’s obviously made in mind with taking full advantage of slopes, which it succeeds in doing with all the ramps and half-pipes. Bouncing around this level is a great amount of fun to see where it all leads me to.

Fatal Factory Zone by Kuba11

Very action-oriented, I like it. The pulleys were great for getting around and there was never a dull moment in here. The ring-eating plasma made for a good hazard as well. The last section where you’re being blown away by the wind was executed pretty good as well.

Foliage Furnace Zone by Kanna/Kwiin

I haven’t played ATS so I can’t comment on the faithfulness of this level. What I can comment on is the fact that I really liked this level. The graphics are beautiful and playing through it is really fun because of all the slopes.

Galactic Facility Zone by Mondongo

This level was pretty cool. There’s a lot of different paths in this level if you’re willing to explore, and it makes good use of lower gravity to get over obstacles you normally wouldn’t be able to get over.

Gate Garden Zone by Ruberjig

Eh, I didn’t really feel for this level. The theme is quite generic and while the knight enemies were cute they weren’t really that different from your run-of-the-mill Crawla. I did like the monitors that were only accessible by Fang’s corkgun, that’s something you don’t see often. Though it isn’t very clear the big grey rocks that the other characters have to break are, well, breakable. Also the collectibles don't give 500 points like they say they do.

Hakuryu Dojo by Zaxel

Good lord Zaxel, restrain yourself. Your levels clearly follow some sort of a theme regarding challenges, but you put waaay too much of them in a single act. While this level is certainly better than Heroes Hall, it has the same problem of just going on and on to the point where I wonder when it’s going to end, only to see there’s more level. Also that boss isn’t all that good, but I’m pretty sure others can explain that better than I do.

Knothole Coast by Apollyon

This level is based off the SRB demo, and it does a good job of that. The graphics look very nice, and it plays pretty well. However, while the secret area is cute, it doesn’t really hide the fact that the level isn’t all that big, which doesn’t make for a lot of replay value. It was pretty nice of you to make the zoomtubes two-ways though.

Overgrown Heights Zone act 2 by InferNOr

Well, you’ve definitely learned from the previous act in regards to the level length. It’s too bad then that you seemingly forgot to put springs in some of your pits, leaving the player to drown or get punctured by brambles. That aside, the level is actually pretty good. I like the way the rolling rocks were used, not just to ride over the water but the way you use springs to keep on to them.

Pagoda Park by Rogerregorroger

So this level made in the style of your animations, which makes this level stand out. I enjoyed seeing all the small references strewn about and your style definitely shines throughout the level. However, the gameplay itself isn’t all that interesting. Something I’ve also noticed is that most of the shields are Attraction Shields, which while useful for getting rings also makes the player reluctant to jump into the water because they’ll lose their power-up.

Shadow of Aztlán Zone by akirahedgehog

I love this level. The aesthetic is amazing and I love the community nods and references. The textures are great and I had a blast playing it. The sector scenery is beautiful, and it really looked like there was some kind of underlying story. It’s just too bad that sometimes the level SIGSEGVs in the beginning.

Square City Zone by Riolucariolu

I’m sorry but there just isn’t anything interesting in this level. I mean the breakable furniture in the beginning is neat, but then it isn’t even followed up in the rest of the level. The level was just fine, I guess.

And good job on the Hub Zone once again. It really fits the autumn theme.

Ok, I just played all the levels and I wanted to give my opinion:

Aquatic Port Zone by WasifBoomz
I only managed to finish it once, and I gave up when I replayed it, because I was constantly getting lost. The textures are not pleasant to look at. I get what theme you're trying to make, but it just doesn't work.
I really tried to find something positive to say, but I just don't like that level.

Foliage Furnace Zone by Kwiin & Kanna
This level is really pretty to look at, but the textures are a bit disorientating when in motion. The layout is fun to traverse, but I feel that you're punished too much when you lose momentum. The platforms in the end section spin too fast for, so it was hard to use them. One alternate path thankfully avoid most of them.

Knothole Coast Zone Act 1 by Apollyon
It's a great level all around, with a nice easter egg, and an....interesting easter egg. I don't have much else to say, other that it's short, and the end section is bland.

Pagoda Park by Rogerregorroger
How much time did it take to create that ? The hand drawn assets are all beautiful, and there's a lot of funny stuff everywhere. As for the level design, it's a bit cramped and pretty straightforward.
It's still one of my favourite.

Galactic Facility Zone by Mondongo
The space parts could be more clearly shown, with the blue "air pockets" that are already present in the base game, in ERZ. The level itself was mostly good.
I didn't like it, but I didn't hate it either.

Shadow of Aztlan Zone by akirahedgehog
I liked the theme. I liked the musics. I liked the town at the beginning. I liked the platforming. There's only a few alternate paths, but they're all equally fun.
It's not perfect by all means, but I really liked almost everything about this level.

Square City Zone by Riolucariolu
It's a very linear level, but it was fun to traverse and to speedrun.

Dark Marsh by Vixuzen
You used Rayman 2 assets, and you didn't even put Rayman 2 music ? That kinda ruined the ambience for me, even though Haunted Ship is still a nice music.
As for the level itself, well, it's an enemy spam, and the path in the open areas is difficult to find.

Hakuryu Dojo by Zaxel
I'm really conflicted on that one. On one hand, you have a great level with great visuals and custom enemies. The maze could be more clearly explained (I didn't even notice that the button opened a door) On the second hand, you have that enemy rush and that unfairly difficult boss. It's the only level I didn't finish legit. I gave myself super sonic just so I could power through that boss, and it honestly dragged the level down a lot.

Overgrown Heights Zone Act 2 by InferNOr
It's dark and there's a lot of foliage that makes it hard to see. You can get hurt by torches you don't even see (Also, why do they even hurt you in the first place ?) and I'm fairly certain you can get stuck in some water parts.
Otherwise, I liked the overall theme and feel, and the platforming was nice.

Fatal Factory Zone by Kuba11
That's certainly a fatal factory alright. You really like crushers don't you ? I liked that there were different "biomes" you needed to traverse, and the overall challenge was mostly fair.

Emerald Aether Zone by Krabs
The jump at the end is confusing, it could be more clearly shown that you have to drop down first.
And that's my only complaint about this level, because I otherwise absolutely loved it.

Alabaster Fountain Zone by BronsoKip
On my first try, I hated that level. But then I replayed it. And then with another character. And then with another. My opinion completly changed, because there's so much alternate paths, and despite its length, you can traverse the level very quickly. To improve the level, you need to better differenciate all the sections, because at first glance, everything looks the same. Also those gates need to be more clearly shown that they actually hurt you.

Gate Garden Zone by Ruberjig
Oh hey, bomberman music. It has a nice concept of switches and gates, but most of the time, I struggled to find the actual gate it opened. The maze at the end wasn't that bad, but in general, why would you put a maze in a sonic game ? Also you must really hate Knuckles, because the whole level is unclimbable, which makes some sections unescapable for him, despite having Knuckle paths.

Azlant Ruin Zone by Gambit
So you designed an entire underwater temple, that you can skip just by holding spin at the beginning, and then you only experience the rushed part. I tried the underwater paths, and the left one was a bit confusing (Didn't know that there were elevators), and the right one was even more confusing. I didn't even manage to cheese it with Tails. And yeah, that Metal Sonic at the end was completly out of place and unecessary.

Just putting this here since voting is officially closed and results will be available soon. Good job everyone!

My Voting Thread said:
This was a tough one... I really enjoyed most, if not, all the levels featured in this competition this time around. I am really proud of everyone who submitted to this contest and I was glad to see some familiar faces return for another round as well. I am still writing up my critiques and will post them in the Autumn OLDC thread when I am finished. I just ran out of time (as usual).

Alright so since voting is over (ha I got my first vote in last second) I'll post my single player maps vote, please bear with me as this is the first time I've ever voted so I have no idea what I'm doing but I tried my best.

my single player maps vote​

1. Knothole Coast by Apollyon
2. Emerald Aether Zone by Krabs
3. Square City Zone by Riolucariolu
4. Gate Garden Zone by Ruberjig
5. Azlant Ruin Zone by Gambit
6. Overgrown Heights Zone act 2 by InferNOr
7. Dark Marsh by Vixuzen
8. Aquatic Port by WasifBoomz
9. Alabaster Fountain Zone by BronsoKip
10. Pagoda Park by Rogerregorroger
11. Fatal Factory Zone by Kuba11
12. Foliage Furnace Zone by Kanna/Kwiin
13. Hakuryu Dojo by Zaxel
14. Shadow of Aztlán Zone by akirahedgehog
15. Galactic Facility Zone by Mondongo

I honestly don't know what a 5th of these maps are but I tried my best.

Big thanks to Larz T for tallying the votes! The results can be checked in this very tidy spreadsheet by him. This season's results are as follows:

SINGLE PLAYER
Foliage Furnace Zone by Kwiin & Kanna - 705 points
Emerald Aether Zone by Krabs - 570 points
Shadow of Aztlán Zone by akirahedgehog - 567 points
Pagoda Park by Rogerregorroger - 534 points
Knothole Coast Zone Act 1 by Apollyon - 495 points
Overgrown Heights Zone Act 2 by InferNOr - 490 points
Galactic Facility Zone by Mondongo - 439 points
Gate Garden Zone by Ruberjig - 422 points
Fatal Factory Zone by Kuba11 - 381 points
Alabaster Fountain Zone by BronsoKip - 362 points
Dark Marsh by Vixuzen - 331 points
Square City Zone by Riolucariolu - 302 points
Hakuryu Dojo by Zaxel - 248 points
Azlant Ruin Zone by Gambit - 136 points
Aquatic Port Zone by WasifBoomz - 108 points

CIRCUIT
Electric Avenue Zone by Joe Mewstard - 8 points
Caldron Cavern Zone by JABSphere94 - 6 points

ARENA
Stupid Facestabber Zone by Krabs - 30 points
Sacred Debris Zone by InferNOr - 26 points
Flower Factory by Apollyon - 25 points
Garden Arena Zone by Chuckles trollface - 22 points
Magma Management Zone by InferNOr - 11 points
Techno Convoy Zone Act 1 by The Real Inferno - 6 points

BATTLE CTF
GFZFLR01 Zone by Krabs - 11 points
Mario Meadow Zone by Apollyon & Entropy - 9 points
Canyon Stronghold Zone by InferNOr - 4 points

Congratulations to the winners: Kwiin, Kanna, Joe Mewstard and Krabs! Thank you all for your participation, and see you next contest!

Last edited:
Yooooooooooooo I deeed it!

Wait what Aquatic Port got last? This genuinely made me a bit mad seeing it lol the stage was a drastic improvement

Cool the contest is over and this is the first time I've ever participated in a oldc, well congrats to everyone for participating.

Congratulations! I am extremely happy with how this OLDC turned out. There were a lot of great maps in this contest this time around and the results were really surprising to see. Also just wanted to give another congratulations to everyone who participated in this OLDC, everyone put in a lot of love and effort into these maps and it shows. I am really proud of each and every single one of you. Keep on mapping as usual, I am looking forward to future creations from everyone that participated!

I honestly didn't precisely hate any of these maps, all of them were great. Good stuff. Congrats to everyone that participated and hope they can improve even more.

It seems I did a horrible job. It only got 20% more votes than Hypertower. Woo! Can't wait to ALMOST get 2nd to last place next!

It seems I did a horrible job. It only got 20% more votes than Hypertower. Woo! Can't wait to ALMOST get 2nd to last place next!
Not at all. In my opinion, I think you improved since your last submission and other people that I talked to think you have as well. I am going to have a document pertaining to my personal thoughts and critiques but please don't be discouraged, keep mapping! If you have fun with it, keep doing what you love. I'm honestly looking forward to any other projects you have brewing.

I really hope this doesn't discourage you, as I'm sure last place twice in a row might do. I'm genuinely excited to see how you continue to improve. Aquatic Port was a tenfold improvement from Hypertower. If I had a suggestion for you, I'd say try to go for something less avant-garde next contest. While your more wacky maps are definitely a style, I think going for a more grounded, open approach, like your Greenflower Act 7 would be great for improvement.

Will the Contest Voting sub-forum be available? Or due to the fact that we have a spreadsheet, this will not happen?

Will the Contest Voting sub-forum be available? Or due to the fact that we have a spreadsheet, this will not happen?

The spreadsheet is just a quick way to access everyone’s score and to see who all voted. Voting sub forum should be opened?

Not at all. In my opinion, I think you improved since your last submission and other people that I talked to think you have as well. I am going to have a document pertaining to my personal thoughts and critiques but please don't be discouraged, keep mapping! If you have fun with it, keep doing what you love. I'm honestly looking forward to any other projects you have brewing.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I thought your level was a DRASTIC improvement from last time. I think the main reason you got last was because the general quality of levels in general were better this time. I'm actually ver surprised your level didn't do better than the one the author even admitted was unfinished, and which caused a lot of people issues with their camera before the patch came out.

The things that held this level back the most were the visuals that were really hard on the eyes, and the puzzles with solutions that weren't clear to the player. There are a lot of things I do like about it, though. I mentioned the visuals, but part of me really likes them for being psychedelic and unique like something from a fever dream. It's kinda like what I'd imagine the alternate dimension of a Sonic 1 Special Stage would be like if Sonic lingered in there longer, or if Eggman built a base in there.

I'll tell you now, if you keep making slow levels with puzzles in them, you're not likely to get anywhere near first place, no matter how much you improve. Many players just prefer more traditional levels, like Foliage Furnace Zone. But I don't want that to stop you, because I do genuinely enjoy your style.

---------- Post added at 01:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:49 AM ----------

The spreadsheet is just a quick way to access everyone’s score and to see who all voted. Voting sub forum should be opened?

The only threads I can see are the ones I made. I think last time, they were opened to contestants, but not to everyone else, unless I'm mistaken.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back