Can gravity be fliped side-ways?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Furnardan

I am Furnie in srb2
To sum things up, I'm working on a city map, and I had hopes of the player reaching a quick dead-end, but instead, they find themselves running vertically up a building! I could use reverse gravity in a WIERD/bad way, but I'd really hope there is a way to send gravity vertically... So, is this viable? o.0?

No, not one bit. If it was, the amount of sprites needed would EXPLODE.

But if you use polyobjects right, you MAY be able to fake it...

Last edited:
Well, as a less awesome yet effective method, I can simply use springs to bounce from building to building until reaching the top. ;)

Thanks for the quick reply!

Or you could make the gravity switch upside-down, then once you hit the cieling, you go back to normal and you spring off an upside-down spring onto the top.

Or just make the game rotate the sprites 90 degrees? But I doubt that its possible to change the gravity onto the walls. If we could, we'd probably have slopes.

You might be able to make a teleport, then teleport the player to another part of the level that looks like the side of the building.

Last edited:
No, because the game would need angles of the characters from a higher up angle.

Or...
You could make a teleporter when you go only so far close to the building, teleport the player to a new place, make side sprites by editing the oridginal and rotating them by 90 degrees left or right, make those into things, put the things where they were on the map. If your building was to the right, the z tag only a little would represent the left things and the z tag with a lot would represent the right things. Then make a teleporter that teleports the player to the place that the player was falling. A example is you go back to this place at the start and another place if you were at the end. From there on, if the player reaches the top of the building or the top of the sector, it teleports you to the building and you can continue from there.

Bleh, that's just me. You can fake it anyway you like.

Well, you can probably do what an old level pack did, you can probably teleport to another room. (Or whatever it's called) and make have the illusion of that side of the building, but with normal gravity.

At the end of the run on the building, the teleporter there would lead to the top of the building.

Last edited:
Concerning the teleporter idea: Doesn't the player's movement cease when they are teleported? Though, I could have the player be teleported when striking the wall of the building then, as said, create an area that appears to be but isn't vertical, but once the player is teleported, instantly push the player forward with a spring to keep the movement going? I'm just wondering how cheesy the effect of teleporting the player is compared to having them "jump" from corner to corner to the top?
This is a peak moment in the level, (which I haven't been able to continue because of current Vista problems, which will be fixed when I get to an XP at the university this coming week), This is the opening act of the first zone, and I'm throwing away it's difficulty for a rushing feeling of speed.(That should get the player interested).

There's ways to do relative teleportation. ERZ2 uses it multiple times, for instance.

Additionally,
and I'm throwing away it's difficulty for a rushing feeling of speed.(That should get the player interested).
Let me be the first to say that this is a very, very bad idea.

o.0...Orly? It's just the first level, nothing more difficult than the first act of the original game. The others would expand into whatever complexities I can come up with, but I was intending the opening act to be a quick "introduction" to the whole pack, being that I've set up a background story to it.

I shall open up ERZ2 and take a looks'cy!

Like most cool effects in SRB2, you can fake it but its really hard to pull off. You'll probably want some forward wind so that the player doesn't think "wait, why am I standing on the side of the building". Also, you'll want to try to do it as discrete as possible. Use just enough detail to make the player think its the same as what he saw earlier, but not enough so that the fofs give you a pain in the neck.

Also, I'm with Inuyasha. If this gimmick is only here for the sake of impressing the player, chances are it won't impress him. It needs to have a real purpose and place in the level or else its not going to fit.

This moment is only suppose to last a few seconds anyway, I was just thinking of adding a 'twist' for the continuation. I'll probably try multiple ideas, but if they don't work out like I want'em, then I'll simply go with the more direct approach and use springs.

Instead of getting in an argument over the level design and my directive with gimmicks, I'll just suggest that maby I'm not using the right words or something to express what my intentions are, or perhaps I'll figure it out as I do so, since I'm not so hard-headed as to ignore ignorant flaws. Music Composers have to learn these things, ya know? otherwise, you get a really sucky piece/song that nobody but you likes, and still... you know it sucks. XD

Thanks for the comments, I'll present the first version once I get some real work down at the university, and I'll be expecting some harsh comments! YOU BETTER BE MEAN THOSE COMMENTS, OR I'LL NEVER GET BETTER! XD

Concerning the teleporter idea: Doesn't the player's movement cease when they are teleported? Though, I could have the player be teleported when striking the wall of the building then, as said, create an area that appears to be but isn't vertical, but once the player is teleported, instantly push the player forward with a spring to keep the movement going? I'm just wondering how cheesy the effect of teleporting the player is compared to having them "jump" from corner to corner to the top?
This is a peak moment in the level, (which I haven't been able to continue because of current Vista problems, which will be fixed when I get to an XP at the university this coming week), This is the opening act of the first zone, and I'm throwing away it's difficulty for a rushing feeling of speed.(That should get the player interested).

You can soc a side spring (if it can be socced) and make it so when you teleport, it automadicly has the side spring activated. You can also make it so it does not have any sound effect so it looks like the player is still in the same room running.

Thanks for the replies, everybody! And thanks for the warnings, too. Sorry if I sounded blunt or ignorant back there, can't let pride get to us, ya know!

Socing a side spring, aye? o__0 So many ideas and solutions, I'll have to try them all and find the best! Besides, it'll boost my skill. I'm the nooby in this conversation, so I best listen to the masters, thanks for the help! I'll be in a level thread eventually with this. I plant to make one level pack and leave it at that, since I don't have time to give my life to this game. I might also make one character.wad, based on my OC! http://furnardan.deviantart.com/art/Ace-the-Turkey-145174659

Cya later!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back