• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Frozen Wasteland Zone - v(0.2)! (scr_frozenwasteland.wad)

Status
Not open for further replies.

toaster

トースタちゃん
Kart Krew™️
Hey! I've come back into levelmaking for 2.0 and it's AWESOME. I had to relearn some of the basic gimmicks but all in all it's way better. Here's the fruits of my labor, my most recent endevour.

Frozen Wasteland Zone.

Includes Acts 1 and 3. I might make Act 2 sometime soon, but it's unlikely. I might make a level pack, but that's even more unlikely.

srb20000.png

Features:
Rising water
Waterslides
Liquid Oil
Sea Egg Boss

srb20001.png

Come to think of it, has anyone made a level yet with the Sea Egg? I myself heavily modified the official arena.

srb20005.png

v(0.2):

http://willhostforfood.com/files4/1/8/1/1813796/scr_frozenwasteland.wad

Please comment and enjoy!

Last edited:
Well, at least you used the Sea Egg. I can't seem to use any boss that isn't the Eggmobile.

Anyway, this looks rather good. That fine mix between an ice level, and Techno Hill/Egg Rock zones. (AKA, what looks to me like an ice level ruined by Eggman, just like Techno Hill.) What really amazes me is that you were able to open up those Crawla Commander capsules when the Sea Egg entered it's Panic Stage. But I do have one small criticism. Act 1 is too short.

Looks like you just frankensteined Eggrock and Melting Glacier together.

...Infact, it seems suspiciously like Artechnic...

...So of course, I gotta try this.

Thanks guys!

Yeah, I should have mentioned Act 1 was either incomplete or the first level of the potential levelpack. Whatever floats your boat. =P

It's really easy actually. I just modified the DSZ arena. Turns out the Sea Egg triggers a linedef. I used that to open the capsules and make some ice fall away. =)

Yeah, I played Melting Glacier for ideas, but I have no idea what Artechnic is. =P Link plz.

I have no idea what Artechnic is. =P Link plz.

http://mb.srb2.org/showthread.php?t=30965 :P

Anyway, I'm glad to see that this is NOT what I was thinking it was (Now I wont seem like a rip-off artist, hopefully), for it's quite a nice level. it's REALLY short, and most of the deathpits just felt unfair (Why cant I just get spiked instead of being outright killed?), but it was alright. Also, why do you just sink in oil just like water? Isn't oil THICK?

As for the boss... I did NOT like this guy. He's a pain in the ass, not because he's hard, but because he's a LUCK BASED mission. Where in Deep Sea, you could find out where he would go (Which proved some possible pain if you fell before reaching him), you can't see him at all, so if you were doing Ultimate, Lady Luck holds most of your life curled around her finger. Along with that, the TEDIOUSNESS of the boss (Come on, having to just stand still and WAIT for the guy? No turrets or anything?) make this just unfun. Also, the Crawla Commandos seem like a good idea... Until you realize Eggman can't shoot you, he stands still long enough for TWO hits in one sitting, and the Commandos can be easily taken out by spindashing in place. NOT a good boss, IMHO. You tried, I see, but it just wasn't very good.

Overall, I liked Act 1, but HATED 3. The level and attention to detail is good, but the boss is just... Eugh. It's not HARD, just ANNOYING.

Ah, nice. Good job. Although I spent a long time underwater for no reason whatsoever. =P

Thanks for the crituiqe. Where are the deathpits that are annoying? The waterslide area? I will fix that. I'll place some spiky enemies instead. I have no idea how to make oil thick without using quicksand. Actually, yes, I'll use quicksand with deathpits beneath. I have no idea how to make it longer...

Oy vey vey. Should I make the ice partially translucent? Will that work? I used Commanders (Not Commandos =P ) instead of Jettysyns because I didn't want it to be overly annoying. I guess I failed in that retrospect.

Thanks for your crituiqe.

Yes, translucent ice plz. The real annoying thing about using the Sea Egg in general is making it HARD after the pinch. It becomes easy except in DSZ's case because the water makes you sluggish and forces the breathing factor. You need something liek that to distract players from Eggman.

I love it!

That said, the level still has its fair share of quirks. It combines new 2.0-era ideas with more archaic ideas. But that's what gives Act 1 its charm, so it's perfect as-is.

I like it too, Act 1 is really nice, Act 3 wasn't really annoying for me because I played as Knuckles and my title says the rest. Nice level!

Yeah, I played Melting Glacier for ideas, but I have no idea what Artechnic is. =P Link plz.

Joy. Yeah, the first room reminded me of Melting Glacier, if only because of the texture choice and and the tiny lake item monitor and Jet Jaw.

Act 1 seems really good, I only have two complaints.

It feels really cramped.
In the current part with the detons, It feels like they were just placed randomely, and I felt I couldn't dodge the first ones I saw. It would help if the player saw them ahead of time, maybe? The boss was also very original, and the Jetty Syns definitly helped along with the cracked ice.

Last edited:
CONGRATULATIONS

YOU ARE THE MOTHER OF A HEALTHY SECTOR

=P

Yeah, I was inspired by the first screenshot.

Those aren't Detons, btw.

Alright, I didn't try the new Act 1 yet, but the boss is MUCH better! Hard, but FAIR hard, not frustrating hard.

Frozen Wasteland 1: 7/10: It's a good act, but it has it's problems:
-It's quite short, that's for sure.
-Most of the water is flooded by Jet Jaws.
Frozen Wasteland 3: 9,5/10: Bravo I say, bravo! You just made an excellent boss in there. It's not even cheap with all of those jetty-syns.

Thank you Brown! =)

I don't have much of an idea how to make it longer. Maybe a teleport. =P

But going in the water is meant to be a punishment! =(

Act 1: 4/10

It was average. I lke the use of different textures you used in the level, the gimmicks were ok, and the music was good, but it suffered a lot too. It was very short, cramped, and the enemy/hazard placement was horrible. Some of the water area are filled with a lot of jet jaws, and the currents, and the big water bit at the end was filled with a sea full of mines, the amount of times I got hit were frustrating. I don't want to go down a current, ending up getting injured with no way out. You really need to sort out your thing placements.

Act 3: 6/10

It was better, but the last hit before summoning the jettysyns was pretty cool. Though it would be better if there wasn't so many sent out at 1 time so I wouldn't have to be bombarded trying to run to eggman and away.

Hopefully, this critique will help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back