About SRB2.org's downtime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I'm starting to find it pretty ridiculous as well now. Friend or not (server guy) I may speak to Logan about switching to another provider.

I swear, this is a worthy bump...

We've got a new server, from a new provider. This new server has a lot more power behind it than the old one did, plus the payments are automatic so no problems there.

Logan paid for it today, a bill of $99 a month. We could have had it up by now, but we wanted Debian on it, not CentOS, so we're waiting for them to set it up, which should be done within the next 24 hours. We will then proceed to restore our backups and get everything into a running state.

Server Specification:
AMD Phenom Quad Core 9600+ at 2.3Ghz
500GB 7200rpm 3Gb/s HDD
4GB DDR2 RAM (PC28500)
100mbit/s connection (up and down)
DirectAdmin Control Panel

And before any of you point out that we don't need that amount of power in a server, let me tell you a story...

The original server we were going to purchase, was a Dual Core Xeon at 1.8Ghz with a 120gb HDD and 2gb DDR2 RAM, monthly price of $79, but for an extra $6ish we could get a 250gb HDD at a faster read and write speed, a more powerful CPU (Core 2 Duo E6400 at 2.4Ghz). The faster server went out of stock this morning, and Logan eventually just said "Screw it!" and purchased the Phenom, which gives us much more to work with resources wise.

So, guys, expect srb2.org to be back soon, but until then, wait it out and stop complaining.

And yes, by the way, I do realise that only a few of you will understand a word of this, so if you don't, just nod your head and pretend you do.

Cue said:
I swear, this is a worthy bump...

We've got a new server, from a new provider. This new server has a lot more power behind it than the old one did, plus the payments are automatic so no problems there.

Logan paid for it today, a bill of $99 a month. We could have had it up by now, but we wanted Debian on it, not CentOS, so we're waiting for them to set it up, which should be done within the next 24 hours. We will then proceed to restore our backups and get everything into a running state.

Server Specification:
500GB 7200rpm 3Gb/s HDD
4GB DDR2 RAM (PC28500)

And before any of you point out that we don't need that amount of power in a server, let me tell you a story...

The original server we were going to purchase, was a Dual Core Xeon at 1.8Ghz with a 120gb HDD and 2gb DDR2 RAM, monthly price of $79, but for an extra $6ish we could get a 250gb HDD at a faster read and write speed, a more powerful CPU (Core 2 Duo E6400 at 2.4Ghz). The faster server went out of stock this morning, and Logan eventually just said "Screw it!" and purchased the Phenom, which gives us much more to work with resources wise.

So, guys, expect srb2.org to be back soon, but until then, wait it out and stop complaining.

And yes, by the way, I do realise that only a few of you will understand a word of this, so if you don't, just nod your head and pretend you do.
I can go to srb2.org on my computer, just not to the wiki. Anyway this is some pretty good news. I can start making WADz again.

Cue said:
Finally!It's about time to do this...It's boring to always search a cached page of the Wiki and you aren't gonna find always the thing that you want.Just to wait 1 day more.

I see we still have assntails based main site, but does anyone have a url for the ssntails server based wiki? seems that the problem sounds very similar to hat I expected it would be.

kram1024 said:
I see we still have assntails based main site, but does anyone have a url for the ssntails server based wiki? seems that the problem sounds very similar to hat I expected it would be.

I hope for your own sakes that was a typo. *banned* But still, Sepwich worked loads better. But hey, you're the admin guys.

Kopper said:
I hope for your own sakes that was a typo. *banned* But still, Sepwich worked loads better. But hey, you're the admin guys.

I find it rather odd that even though you have yet to actually see the new server up, you're saying Sepwich is much better...

SSNTails said:
Of course it works better. It actually returns page requests. :P
True but even sepwich has errors occasionaly, like for some reason every now and then it gives an error saying could not find web page then when you refresh it comes back on but i have learned to live with that

Cue said:
Server Specification:
500GB 7200rpm 3Gb/s HDD
4GB DDR2 RAM (PC28500)
I can expect this server to have some power behind it with that spec but like all servers i can expect problems with it when we go to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back