Resource icon

[Battle] Super Smash Bros. (64) Stages [v1.1]

InstableGR

These maps require SRB2 Battle (by CobaltBW) to function. Grab it here: https://mb.srb2.org/showthread.php?t=46517
Additionally, be sure to load BattleMod before loading the pack, otherwise the maps will not appear in the Level Select menu.

Get ready to SMASH!
attachment.php

... or, rather, play SRB2 Battle on maps that were made for a completely different game, whichever you prefer.

What started out as one simple stage port from Super Smash Bros. ended up turning into an entire pack of them!
Throw this into SRB2 Battle's rotation and then duke it out with your favorite Sonic (or other, if applicable) characters on six 2D Arenas from the classic Nintendo 64 game! These maps were built strictly for the Arena and Survival modes; fight for points in Arena, or try to remain the last one standing in Survival!

This pack was made possible by a collaborative effort between myself and a few other members, I can't thank them enough for their contributions! Speaking of which, here they are!

List of Stages:

- Dream Land (by InstableGriff)
attachment.php

Taking place high above the usually peaceful planet of Pop Star, the iconic Kirby stage Dream Land is first on the list! Lush greenery can be found here as well as a familiar friend! The main platform is joined by three floating platforms, so use those to your advantage (as well as the nearby walls if you're Knuckles)!

Compared to Battlefield, Dream Land is intended to be a more hectic stage; it's smaller, and it features Item Bubbles containing Rings, Super Rings and a random S3 Shield that all spawn every 60 seconds! This stage is great for pure chaotic fun!

- Hyrule Castle (by InstableGriff)
attachment.php

The roofs of the Zelda stage Hyrule Castle are great for getting a nice view of Death Mountain and the terrain below! ... Wait, oh, sorry, I meant battling with your friends, yeah let's go with that.

This stage is divided into three sections; a sloped platform to the left, a middle platform with three smaller platforms to hop on, and a right platform with... the tent; there are also two walls on each side of the map for Knuckles to climb! Item Bubbles containing Rings, Super Rings and a random S3 Shield spawn every 60 seconds!

- Saffron City (by rairai104n)
attachment.php

Rebuilt by rairai104n, prepare to have plenty of nostalgia-filled battles atop the high rooftops of the Pokémon stage Saffron City! The Pokémon themselves however are not here; whether that's a good or bad thing is entirely up to you.

This stage is currently the only one in the pack to feature death pits, so you'll need to watch your step and precisely jump from building to building to reach your opponents; luckily for SRB2 Battle's gameplay, this version of the stage was made much wider than the original N64 version, so there's more breathing room! Make sure to use the higher buildings and floating platforms to your advantage, as well as the nearby buildings that Knuckles can climb! Item Bubbles containing Rings, Super Rings and a random SRB2 Shield spawn every 60 seconds!

- Battlefield (by Julie Hikari)
attachment.php

Rebuilt by Julie Hikari, here's a stage you couldn't even access in the original's multiplayer! Previously the home of the Fighting Polygon Team, you can now face off against your own opponent(s) in this mysterious dimension where Battlefield resides! Or Duel Zone if you prefer that, it's just called "Battlefield" in this pack.

Compared to Dream Land, Battlefield is intended to be taken more seriously; it's bigger, and this is one of two stages where there are no Item Bubbles anywhere in sight. Fight your opponent(s) using your own raw skill and clever use of the three floating platforms (and walls if you're Knuckles)!

- Final Destination (by InstableGriff)
attachment.php

Nobody knows what the Final Destination is meant to be; is it another dimension? Another universe? An alternate reality? The gateway between the real and the fantasy? Great mystery surrounds this ominous location, but one thing is known for sure; it a harsh battleground for more serious encounters.

No extra platforms, no Item Bubbles, no hazards; just you and your opponent(s).

- ??? (by InstableGriff)
Did you think it would stop at the stages everyone knows?

There's one extra stage here too as a bonus, but I think it would be better if you find out what it is yourself!

A lot of care went into making these stages fun for SRB2 Battle, so we all very much hope you enjoy these smashin' maps!

Version 1.1 (8/13/20)
  • Main SOC edited to include the "Survival" TypeOfLevel flag introduced in Battle 8.0; the maps should now properly show up in Survival's Level Select again.

Version 1.0 (7/22/20)
  • Dream Land is no longer alone; five new maps enter the rotation to form the Smash Pack!

Dream Land:
  • The walls have been lowered, meaning Knuckles can't climb as high as he used to.

Old Dream Land Patches
Version 1.2 (7/19/20)
  • The "Standard version" of this map has been removed until further notice; the version with walls is now the only way to play. Explanation is in the comments.
Version 1.1 (7/18/20)
  • Removed "Zone" from the map name.
Version 1.0 (7/17/20)
  • Initial release!
Map Contributors:
  • InstableGriff: Dream Land, Hyrule Castle, Final Destination, (???) -- Assistance with Saffron City's visuals
  • Julie Hikari: Battlefield
  • rairai104n: Saffron City
  • Nev3r: Assistance with Saffron City's floating platforms

Textures:
  • Kyleglor from The Textures Resource for ripping the Dream Land textures from Super Smash Bros.

Attachments

• srb20027.jpg
    srb20027.jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 9,458
  • srb20028.jpg
    srb20028.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 6,480
  • srb20031.jpg
    srb20031.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 6,127
  • srb20035.jpg
    srb20035.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 6,126
  • srb20036.jpg
    srb20036.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 6,278
  • smash_pack.png
    smash_pack.png
    258.7 KB · Views: 11,686
  • Ba_Smash64Pack_v1.1.pk3
    5.6 MB · Views: 3,116
Last edited:
this map, while we were testing it, was the most fun i've had with SRB2 Battle since Kirby. which is pretty funny since this is also, in a way, from Kirby.

basically this is the logical evolution of those old smash bros mods and i couldnt be happier. :)

Version 1.1 is now a thing.

I didn't realize that I could do "NoZone" in SRB2, thought it was only for Kart. Whoops. Now the names are accurate.

---------- Post added at 11:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:13 PM ----------

After a public test game of the Standard version, I think I need to make this even clearer; the Walled version of this map is what I recommend that you play. The Standard version, in my personal opinion, should only be played if you're a fan of pure chaos.

Hah, I'm so stoked that someone thought to make this.

I think the wall-less version is likely to play better if all of the characters were scaled down?

After some internal thinking and a bit of discussion with my play testers, I think I've reached the conclusion that being accurate to Smash by keeping death pits on the sides of the map is simply not the way to go; instant death was far too common of an occurrence in all of my play sessions of this map both private and public, it just doesn't work with this kind of gameplay. I am aware of the suggestion of shrinking down the players as noted above by Cobalt, had that suggested to me a couple times by my testers, but I just feel like that would defeat part of the purpose of porting this stage and make it look awkwardly big.

So with that said, Version 1.2 is now available. The "Standard version" of this map has been removed altogether until further notice; what was previously known as the "Walled version" is now the only version of this map that's available.

I apologize about this being a sudden decision, I really feel like there wasn't anything I could do without damaging my vision.

Last edited:
I definitely empathize with frustrations on figuring out what "plays well" for Arena, because that's pretty much my balance maintenance for Battle in a nutshell. I have found that 3D maps tend to work better with hazards, particularly survival, because it improves the pace of gameplay and restricts player movement in interesting ways. But in 2D space, movement is already limited, and so all you have to worry about is making sure that platforming and spacing is reasonable. In the case of Dream Land, the arena is small enough that it is quite easy for the knockback from a thok to throw a player off of the stage. Unlike Smash Bros, players cannot recover out of pain state and triple-jump back onto the stage, and there are alternative methods of killing the player besides.

Also, I've never really made this explicit, but Arena and Survival were primarily designed for 2-8 people in mind. Outside that amount, combat tends to break down a little bit, especially on 2D arenas where there isn't as much room to maneuver. It is unsurprising that the wall-less version wouldn't pan out in high-player games, and I'd say that's largely a restriction of the format.

All that being said, this is still a cool experiment, and I enjoyed playing on it in spite of how chaotic the action was. It would be curious to see how a map like Temple from SSBM would fare in the format. Whereas larger maps are commonly avoided in Smash Bros. due to having "degenerate" stage designs which make it easy to stall and hard to kill, a more labyrinthine design like that might be a stronger contender in Battle due this mod's particular combination of health system, player vulnerability, and object collision physics.

Dream Land is no longer alone.

Introducing the Super Smash Bros. (64) Stage Pack! Five new stages join the roster, two of which were handled by Julie Hikari, rairai104n, and Nev3r; a huge thank you to them for making the current iteration of this pack possible, and within the span of just a few days! Truly incredible.

Please enjoy!

You know, SRB2 is great, but I always thought it would be better with an hour of top platform camping.

Gratz on the release, very excited to give this a try.

srb20148.gif

Good to see this finally released, hopefully you all enjoy playing these as much as we did porting them.

Great job on these. They're probably best with small playercounts, but I've had a lot of fun so far. Love it.

hey i was on a battlemod testing server with this too!
that's cool that this is here
(i was milesgunner on there by the way)

Version 1.1:
Edited the Main SOC to include the new "Survival" TypeOfLevel flag introduced in Battle 8.0; the maps should now properly show up in Survival's Level Select menu again.

Last edited:

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back