New Godzilla movie announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob

http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2010/03/29/godzilla-returns/

I am as happy as I can possibly be right now. This announcement was not one that comes as a surprise, because most people paying attention to the rumors and whispers going around already knew a new Godzilla movie was in the early works somewhere. This just confirms it, and does tell us this will be released a year earlier than anticipated.

The thing that gets me especially is the line about them rebooting the series. This has been successful two times in the past (Granted, it's only been 'rebooted' two times in the past, but bear with me), so there is good reason to suspect it will work out again here. As long as it doesn't stoop to the level of Final Wars, there shouldn't really be any problems.

You do realize that two American companies will be developing this right? So it could either go in two directions:

1.) Legendary Pictures and Warner Bros. create an epic Godzilla movie that closely follows what Toho has created and yet appeals to a western audience.

or....

2.)
1162359013.jpg

Shit, I was going to post this when Kyasarin sent it to me on IRC.

But- I'm ridiculously excited. CGI! Awesome re-boot! I wonder what it will be about, if any other monsters will appear in it. Hopefully Legendary has the rights long enough to make a sequel.

The worst that could happen is Akira's 2. God forbid that. I'd be somewhat disappointed if it's like Final Wars... but I like how Legendary Pictures handled Watchmen and Batman, so I don't think I'll be disapointed.

Well, here's the thing that's keeping it from being like the 1998 movie.

It's being endorsed and distributed by Toho themselves. Likely, they have some say in what it''s going to be like. That, and it's being toted as "what fans loved about Godzilla for years" or something along those lines.

Even if it did turn out like the 1998, it'd still beat Final Wars (Really, that movie was an insult to the series. The 1998 movie was just neutral)

I never saw Final Wars, but I always thought the one with the worm guy was a wannabe and little more. The only part that I was remotely interested in was the part with all the eggs and the frenchies. The rest felt more like a hollywood disaster movie than a Godzilla movie.

Man, this announcement made me realize just how long it's been since I saw a Godzilla movie. Not since somebody lent me Godzilla vs. Gigan to try and erase the 1998 movie from my memory. I really hated that film. Maybe I just have a thing for guys in suits duking it out, or maybe I expected to see him use his breath more, I dunno, I just didn't like it.

I await the film, cautiously.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back