Unclimbable FOFs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm probably missing something incredibly obvious, but I'm making an outdoor map where a water FOF is touching the thok barrier so the barrier's flat won't render, which I've decided to come around by making the original barrier a normal sector with a new thok barrier surrounding it, and a solid, invisible FOF over the original thok barrier so it can't be passed through. I just have a problem with that now... Knuckles can climb the invisible FOF.

Image:
Qf6l4eP.png
I have tried ticking on the "Not Climbable" flag on the control Linedef, which didn't help. I'm using a Custom FOF with the flag number 47 (which is the exact same as a Solid, Invisible FOF), if it's relevant.

Does anyone know how to (or if it's impossible to) make Knuckles unable to climb a FOF?

You'd have to mark the target sector's linedefs as unclimbable. I'm not sure if Transfer Line on the FOF's control would do anything, but that's moot, because this is what you should be doing:

a) Tag the thok barrier with the same tag as the water sector. If both sectors have the same tag, the barrier's flat will render. This might be a problem if the barrier extends to touch a sector that doesn't have water, because then the tags will be different and the flat will be hidden again. If the sector doesn't have water because the floor is higher than the water level, consider just tagging on the water anyway.

b) In situations where you just can't make the tags work and you need to make a "fake" thok barrier, use the fake floor linedef. You should only be using FOFs when you physically need the player to go over and under something. In this case, just crunch the floor and ceiling together as you would for a normal thok barrier, but then tag a fake floor sector that pulls up the ceiling so you can look beyond it, but still keep the normal physics of "can't climb the sky".

I'm not quite sure I understand suggestion A, but the (fake) Thok Barrier touches two differently-tagged water pools (but no other sectors). I'll try seeing what happens if I cut the Thok Barrier around the same place as the two water-filled sectors split. *Tests* ...Well, the sand does render correctly now, but the two Thok Barrier sectors cut out each over, meaning you can't see barrier A's floor beyond barrier B's floor.

*Tries suggestion B* Yup, this one works. I can see the sand, I can climb the rock texture beneath it, and I can't climb the "air" above it. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back