Splatoon Thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sony

A worthless member
Anyone wondering how splatoon would be? If you are wondering please share your thoughts on this thread and see how it is when the full game comes out.

I really hope they still do a demo after it is released. That is memorial day weekend so I will not be able to try it. I love the concept and want to support the new IP, but I may just end up waiting to see how much content the DLC adds. Some of the articles I've read seem to indicate that this isn't very robust.

I have no real interest in Splatoon to be honest. But from what I can see, it does look promising. Lets just hope we don't have another Sonic Boom crisis on our hand.

I don't even understand why the comparison is being made. Splatoon has had tons of buzz from the day of its announcement, and turned out to be a very solid product once Nintendo put out a publicly playable demo. Sonic Boom (specifically Rise of Lyric) had practically nothing that didn't range from mistrust to open disdain, and turned out to be a rushed, buggy piece of crap that speedrunners broke wide open the same day it came out.

I feel as if you guys kinda missed my point. What I'm saying is I hope that hype and tension on the Devs don't end up killing this game like it did with Sonic Boom. Now Im not trying to be a full on pessimist, and as a side note Sonic Boom wasn't bad, it was just a missed opportunity for what it COULD have done. But either way, I won't have a full opinion until I play it, so don't go sending death threats just yets.

Uh, I think you might have missed the part where people already played it (EDIT: and by people, I don't mean by some game journalists or whatever; there's been a small, limited time demo a couple weeks back for anyone to try as long as they came on at the right time) and said it's great.

If I recall correctly, ProJared played Sonic Boom at E3 a year or two back and was already trying to warn people that it was going to be bad, which is the opposite of what's happening here.

Last edited:
I personally think that Splatoon will be a very innovative and fun Wii U game. I'm definitley getting it.

However, the non-Nintendo crowd will start h8ing. "Not on X bocks? sux".

I feel as if you guys kinda missed my point. What I'm saying is I hope that hype and tension on the Devs don't end up killing this game like it did with Sonic Boom. Now Im not trying to be a full on pessimist, and as a side note Sonic Boom wasn't bad, it was just a missed opportunity for what it COULD have done. But either way, I won't have a full opinion until I play it, so don't go sending death threats just yets.

Rise of Lyric was horrendous, if that's what you're referring to. And the hype wasn't the only thing that killed it, I was already calling that it will be bad weeks or months before it came out (before I even knew how buggy it was).

A lot of younger fanboys on here would be quick to say "Don't judge a game if you haven't played it", but to an extent, you actually can judge a game so long as you have a trained eye and good intuition. The production value of Splatoon is much higher than either of the Sonic Boom games, and it's easy to tell by looking at early game footage that the underlying game mechanics are functional and intuitive, and the gameplay is well-paced. Doesn't mean it'll be the best game ever, but it's a clear sign of competency.

Well the testfire is pooched. Seems everyone is stuck on the 'looking for battle to join' screen. For 45 minutes straight, so far.

Having such issues is, of course, the entire purpose of having stress tests like this in the first place.

The server went up for an hour after the original hour (and was functional this time). Good times.

My thoughts are thusly: It's a lot of fun, and assuming you didn't pick the sniper rifle you feel like you really contributed when your team wins.

On the other hand, the actual course of the match has zero influence on the final result when the other team can just cut a path through the middle and win at the last minute because your team was zealously wiping down the side areas after dominating all game.

Last edited:
I played the testfire earlier, and I think its a fun game, but it has a bunch of problems.
(Bad camera, Ink meter just blends in with your character, only supports gamepad (I wanted to use my classic controller), Overpowered Paintroller, etc) I'd pay about 15-20 dollars for it, but 60? Hell no.

Overpowered Paintroller

(finally i have an excuse to talk about why the paint roller isnt op)

Is it me, or am I the only one who doesn't find the rollers hard to fend off? Like, at all?

It's only really troublesome to deal with if you don't know how to dispatch them. Once you know to aim at the person wielding the roller rather than at the roller itself, it's pretty easy. The roller's difficulty is pretty deceptive; it absolutely demolishes beginners, is easy to use, and covers the main objective easily. However, once you figure out an effective way to beat them they get pretty easy to stomp.

In a way, they are essentially the Pyro's of this game. They're good at ambushing, they wreck beginners, and they require much more skill when you start going against people who know how to counter them. However, I'm not sure how much the rollers are going to start suffering once you get to a competitive skill level. They don't have the boon of being able to reflect projectiles like Pyro's, but the squid form makes ambushes easier so I don't know.

I'm thinking that they'll start becoming less desirable as skill increases as rollers have to be constantly painting over enemy territory to be 100% effective and this makes setting up good ambushes less likely since you can't stay in a area. It might help to stay in your home area to ambush enemies trying to paint over your stuff, but that goes against what the roller does best; painting rather than defending.

EDIT: Nekoishi brought up to me in response to the last part that you could hide and ambush at the enemy base, even if it is a small splotch. I'd try and argue that it'd be more effective to be painting rather than hiding, but it's a pretty solid argument.

Either way, it's a bit difficult deciphering more than just a vague idea when it comes to competitive viability without at least one competitive tournament being held.

Last edited:
Once you know to aim at the person wielding the roller rather than at the roller itself, it's pretty easy.
I always knew to aim at the player instead of the roller, but I found myself getting rolled over RIGHT before I would have killed them a bunch of times, even when walking away from them. Also there were a few times where a roller came from where I couldn't see it and I had about a centisecond to react. (And sometimes this happened when I was trying to kill someone. It's either I die from the person firing at me, or I die from the roller coming up behind me.)

Not only can you just walk backwards to avoid the rollers, you can just jump over it. You can also swim backwards on your own ink so they cant even flick the roller at you quick enough, leaving them open to counter attack from a grenade. Rollers are the Little Mac of Splatoon, they seem like the most threatening thing but they're actually really easy to trump. They're best at making giant coats of paint, but against anyone even mildly competent, they're screwed.

After trying it out for the first time last night, I did quite enjoy it, I liked the Splat Charger weapon the most, although I didn't really get used to the game as a whole very well when I played. I didn't really like the other types of weapons when I tried them, the roller was just very weird to play and I just couldn't get used to using the default one easily enough. I do hope they have a demo also available when the full thing comes out, I'd like to be able to try it a bit more before I decide whether it's worth buying.

Not only can you just walk backwards to avoid the rollers, you can just jump over it. You can also swim backwards on your own ink so they cant even flick the roller at you quick enough, leaving them open to counter attack from a grenade. Rollers are the Little Mac of Splatoon, they seem like the most threatening thing but they're actually really easy to trump. They're best at making giant coats of paint, but against anyone even mildly competent, they're screwed.

Yeah, I can see that. The way I see it, the Roller's more a stealth weapon. You try to sneak up close to an enemy - and as soon as you're in that close enough range without them noticing (or, noticing too late), you've one-shot 'em. "Hiding" in the ink I found was actually a pretty great tactic to using the Roller as a stealth weapon. Plus, once the danger's clear, you have the freakin' ROLLER. Arguably the best tool in the game for laying down ink.

You need some crafty tactics to actually get to other players, but for covering turf (ie: the GAME OBJECTIVE), the Roller's pretty amaze.

Although personally I'm a Splattershot Jr. guy meself. ;D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back