I got a trojan and Windows Defender sucks..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zerofuse0

Ok, I think this is the right place for this.
Anyway I left my computer on last night and when I got on this morning
this was found. (hope this doesn't stretch the screen)
trojanhelpme.jpg

I tried to get Windows Defender to remove it, but it can't. I'm afraid to download any programs that might help because i fear that they might contain more viruses. (as most of them do) I'm getting popups everywhere and I have a popup blocker also. If anyone has any ideas of what I can do or any virus removal programs that acrually WORK that would be great!

getridofitnow.png

Ohai, I found your problem.

http://malwarebytes.org/mbam.php
Scan, delete, hopefully done.

Then grab Spybot S&D to clear up any spyware, etc.

If worst comes to worst, grab a copy of Ubuntu Live, boot into it and kill the virus manually (open task manager and look for related processes, find out where they are and get rid of them).[/b]

Got your Vista install disc? Good. Backup everything you want, and enter command prompt. Type Format C:. Say Yes. Once it finishes, reinstall Vista (or if you don't have Vista, XP), restore everything you want. Download AVG Antivirus, AdAware, Spybot Search & Destroy, and anything else. Disable User Access Control. Et Violin, you just nuked a virus.

Jurai_Madman said:
Got your Vista install disc? Good. Backup everything you want, and enter command prompt. Type Format C:. Say Yes. Once it finishes, reinstall Vista (or if you don't have Vista, XP), restore everything you want. Download AVG Antivirus, AdAware, Spybot Search & Destroy, and anything else. Disable User Access Control. Et Violin, you just nuked a virus.

No.

Formatting should only ever be used as an absolute last resort, if you don't know what you're doing. There isn't a virus on this earth that cannot be eradicated via booting into another OS and killing it off manually.

You should never have to format due to a virus.

Zerofuse0 said:
Cue said:
Do you have any FREE programs in mind that would work?

Nice to know you checked.

Malware Bytes and Spybot are both completely free, Malware Bytes has a pro version but it's not needed for this.

Cue said:
Zerofuse0 said:
Cue said:
Do you have any FREE programs in mind that would work?

Nice to know you checked.

Malware Bytes and Spybot are both completely free, Malware Bytes has a pro version but it's not needed for this.

Wait a minute, I thought MalWareBytes could only remove stuff if you have the free version(?)

Though I have the full version so how should I know lol.
Edit: Can't you just use a back-up disk? (If you don't have one..)

I see "Shortcut to srb2JTE.exe" on that desktop. Guess you got the supervirus. Oh well, you're screwed.

In all seriousness, do what Cue said, Spybot S&D did wonders for me when my explorer.exe was ****ed up.

I'm guessing that "download sonic heroes" thing had something to do with it.

Somebody really needs to learn to pirate.

I've used AVG, AVG 8.0, Avira, Blackice, McAfee, Kaspersky, Norton and Zone Alarm before. So far, Avira's probably the most oveprotective one, but I'm not complaining. Especially since it helped me block viruses off Galbadia a few months back.

The only thing I ever have to use anymore is Windows Live OneCare. I have yet to see it fail at finding anything, and I have been using it for years now. In fact, our school recently ran into a worm that got around on people's flash drives and infected any computers using the flash drive

Simply put, almost every computer and flash drive in the school was infected in days, and while the school's antivirus (Norton) couldn't find it, OneCare immediatly picked it out and deleted it, no problems at all.

I don't really understand why people don't know much about OneCare, after all it's made by Microsoft, it has a free 90 day trial and manages to find and destroy just about anything in it's way. Give it a shot, I can probably guarentee it won't fail you in almost any situation.

Autosaver said:
Blue Warrior said:
I think AVG will catch your interest, Zero.

Most trojans block popular Virus detection programs like AVG.
....and that's when you install the program onto a flash drive/disc on a different computer and boot into safe mode.
Also, Cue, what program is that? You seem to know what it is.

Anyway, about the Trojan, you were using Internet Explorer. No wonder you got a trojan. IE is a is just as bad as a Trojan.

Questionguy555 said:
Autosaver said:
Blue Warrior said:
I think AVG will catch your interest, Zero.

Most trojans block popular Virus detection programs like AVG.
....and that's when you install the program onto a flash drive/disc on a different computer and boot into safe mode.
Also, Cue, what program is that? You seem to know what it is.

Anyway, about the Trojan, you were using Internet Explorer. No wonder you got a trojan. IE is a is just as bad as a Trojan.

It's Symantec anti-virus.

Symantec - Norton...

PiggyBank said:
The only thing I ever have to use anymore is Windows Live OneCare. I have yet to see it fail at finding anything, and I have been using it for years now.
Your entire post reads like an advertisement, and I wouldn't be surprised to find that your claim is only true because you haven't used any other programs that might have picked up what OneCare missed. I don't mind promotion of a certain product, but you should use more discretion when promoting a single product as a panacea, especially for security problems.

Questionguy555 said:
This is a popular point of view. It is also a fallacy. Internet Explorer is obviously not the most secure browser out there, but pinning it as malware itself is asinine.

Everyone else, keep up the good advice-giving. I can't think of much else to add, other than try running as a limited user once you have all this cleared up. Also, keep everything up to date and don't ignore updates just because you don't want to reboot to apply them.

Some of the computers in my house use OneCare, I use AVG since OneCare wouldn't install on Windows 7 due to an OS check. While OneCare is generally much better than most of the crap out there (Norton I'm looking at you) it was a real pain sometimes, and the uninformative progress bars did nothing but hack me off.

I had a similar trojan and MalWareBytes did the trick. Popular virus scanners will just detect it and remove it. But it isn't removed as it multiples for whatever reason. X_X

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back