I see lots of people hosting with wads wrong and..

Status
Not open for further replies.

on Edge

It's really bad for the overall quality of the server. I'd like to point out why certain types of wads are bad and others are unnecessary.

A good netgame (with wads) should have about the following:

A levelpack
About 2 extra characters, possibly less.
Maybe one SOC, however these are included in other wads and you might have conflicting issues etc.
Extra sprites/enemy pack.

Unwanted qualities in wads you should watch out for: old, bad, outdated, and excessive.

Lets start from the top: Levelpacks.
If you want coop, add the MR or Acidmissle etc. If you're doing match, retropack or Jazzattack would suffice. However, so many map packs use them same slots that they overwrite each other, making excess wads loaded and possibly extra SOC modifications, which could be bad.
Also, I've seen things like SRB2 riders (resource wad) being used with the MR. It's just ugly and pointless, so don't do it.

Next: Characters.
I see 2 problems here. Firstly, too many are being added. If you have 2 characters loaded, you need 5+ people to make full use of them, utilizing each character's unique strengths.
Secondly, the characters in SRB2 have only so much variation. Stay away from loading multiple wads with the same ability, or one of the three abilities found in the .plrs.

SOCs:
These are small and downloadable, however they have the ability to really mess up the game, sometimes.

Enemy replacements/New sprites
I'd like to point out that the default sprites are beautiful and don't _NEED_ replacing, and that enemy packs might conflict with the SP mods as far as SOCs. Other than that, go for it. :P

As far as bad qualities go, they each have there own reasons and standpoints.

Old- If it's really old, a lot of people in the community might not have it.
Bad- If it's bad, most people should delete it after criticizing it, so no one will have 'em.
Outdated- Some wads you need to check for updates every now and then. Even if it's a popular wad, different versions can keep people from joining.
Excess- The more wads you have, the longer downloading lag will ensue, or the less people will have them.

Draykon said:
How about no characters, possibly levels, and maybe some weapon or enemy mods?

Seconded, you don't need any characters at all, to be honest. Do you see any decent servers using characters? Nope.

cueball61 said:
you don't need any characters at all, to be honest.

Thirded. Sonic, Tails and Knuckles has each one a pretty different ability, with different usages. Most of the rest are simple variations of them. That makes them a bit unuseful.

on Edge said:
If you're doing match, retropack or Jazzattack would suffice.

Fixed.

I would really appreciate it if people spelled my name right, its not like its that hard...

Either way, thats why I am always judging carefully which wad files I add to my server. I dislike recolor characters as much as anyone else, so the only characters I include are the ones with variation, such as Espio and Vector. I also include a handicap character (Amy) for good measure.

With level packs, I am honestly tired of seeing servers with 3 copies of Mystic Realm loaded and other such nonsense. Otherwise, as long as the files do not overwrite each other, I don't see a problem, so long as the file is readily available, which brings me to the next problem.

Obscure/outdated wads that nobody knows about, nor knows where to find. Probably my biggest netgame pet peeve. If you aren't going to have MAXSEND on, you better have wads loaded that are easy to find...

Multiplayer Fusion by Someguy is played too little... I think it should be on the list for recommendations for Match.

Actually Draykon, I only use Senya out of the three. Why? Senku feels useless with his wall jump, and Nitemare just handles wrong. Senya handles well, and you know how much I love those ice blocks. Such a pity they lag so much when you're putting loads of 'em on springs.

The reason the best servers usually only use the official levels is because there's always those people who can't be arsed to download the wad of the week just to play a little netgame every now and then.

i wud liek to hav sms n hms123311 an sacity addd plz*smurfed*. I still don't get what people see in that crap. What's weirder is that they add it even in normal srb2 >>. I think Acidmissile would be my favorite coop pack, probably Jazzattack for match. And yeah, I guess Senku, Senya, and Nitemare are pretty interesting in Shufflarb2.

Nev3r said:
cueball61 said:
you don't need any characters at all, to be honest.

Thirded. Sonic, Tails and Knuckles has each one a pretty different ability, with different usages. Most of the rest are simple variations of them. That makes them a bit unuseful.

Fourthed. I reckon it's really pointless to add new characters, unless your playing around with somehing.

I quite like the odd server with a contest matchpack, old or new. It shakes things up a bit since no-one is too used to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back