• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

SuperSonicRE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gee kyaarin, what great critism. I'll say only this, people never start off great. They can only get better. and if it makes you sick, why dont you tell how to make one up to youre "standards".

Gee kyaarin, what great critism. I'll say only this, people never start off great. They can only get better. and if it makes you sick, why dont you tell how to make one up to youre "standards".

Ha, exaggerations.
I've given him criticism before, and the problem still hasn't been fixed, even though several people think the same way.
And I really don't care if he's just beginning or not. This is a forum for suggesting things for WAD files. That's what I'm doing.

Last edited:
(Replacing previous message)

Kind sir, could you be as kind as to edit the shading of the sprite? It would be much nicer if you could change it so you can see the light coming down on top of super sonic's head. Also, if you may, please use the PNG format.

Last edited:
(Replacing previous message)

Kind sir, could you be as kind as to edit the shading of the sprite? It would be much nicer if you could change it so you can see the light coming down on top of super sonic's head. Also, if you may, please use the PNG format.

Yes, that shading doesn't seem at it's best, and the .JPG is hated by many on the MB, especially when it comes to sprites.

I do like the shape of it, and I could help you with the shading if you need me to.

Yes, that shading doesn't seem at it's best, and the .JPG is hated by many on the MB, especially when it comes to sprites.

I do like the shape of it, and I could help you with the shading if you need me to.
He'd be better off using BMP. When I used PNG and put it in, it gave me an error because it didn't recognize the filetype, as it was the wrong kind. :S

He'd be better off using BMP. When I used PNG and put it in, it gave me an error because it didn't recognize the filetype, as it was the wrong kind. :S
He probably IS using BMPs, actually - in my experience, a lot of imagehost services auto-convert bmps to jpegs to save people the hassle of downloading 5mb picture files all the time. Not really much you can do about that, if it's the case with tinypic.

On topic, you REALLY have to get rid of the overly thick lines sometime. Besides frankly looking extremely ugly and ameteurish, it's less than consistent with the rest of the sprite's outlining scheme, which makes it look really out of place overall. I can't say using a grand total of two different shades per colour really helps much, either - might wanna try at least three or four somewhere down the line.

He probably IS using BMPs, actually - in my experience, a lot of imagehost services auto-convert bmps to jpegs to save people the hassle of downloading 5mb picture files all the time. Not really much you can do about that, if it's the case with tinypic.

On topic, you REALLY have to get rid of the overly thick lines sometime. Besides frankly looking extremely ugly and ameteurish, it's less than consistent with the rest of the sprite's outlining scheme, which makes it look really out of place overall. I can't say using a grand total of two different shades per colour really helps much, either - might wanna try at least three or four somewhere down the line.

1. Yes I am using the bmp setting for the image. Its just the imagehost service that makes it a jpg.
2. Yes I know those thick lines are terrible. I am right now fixing the sprites and removing the thick lines.

1. Yes I am using the bmp setting for the image. Its just the imagehost service that makes it a jpg.
2. Yes I know those thick lines are terrible. I am right now fixing the sprites and removing the thick lines.
You should use a better image-hosting site that maintains the filetype... I know I found a site like that, but I can't even remember what it was.

Use PHOTOBUCKET!!! It maintains the file type no matter what it is! Oh yeah, please don't ban me for posting this message!

Erm, I use Photobucket for all uploaded pictures, and I can safely say that my .bmp files get converted to .jpg ones. Well, at least, I uploaded a certain logo, but the red parts were all fuzzy and blurry.

About the sprites themselves, they actually look pretty good in my opinion. Better than the other Super Sonic. The only problem is that Super characters are generally overpowered, but there's nothing to do about that, eh?

that happens with BMP's, if you use photobucket then I suggest uploading PNG's!
They seem to work just fine AND never lose image quality! Plus Photobucket doesn't
convert them, they just end up looking a bit worse online, there's nothing that you can do about it though...
But the wad is looking good right now! Keep it up!

Link, PNG is Lossless and compressed.
BMP is Lossless and un-compressed.
A PNG of most images is roughly 1/3rd the size of a BMP.
[...]they just end up looking a bit worse online[...]
You're thinking of GIF format. GIF has, and will always restrict any picture to 256 colors.

Oh.. Well PNG's never come out bad on Photobucket AND they look better altogether:
BMP's are only 24 bits and PNG's are 32 bits! They have better quality too!
(Please don't ban me if I made a mistake or something)

I think I found someone more paranoid then myself :P. We don't infract or ban people just because they have their information wrong like that. The rules should help you in what we actually infract people for.

BMPs and PNGs have the exact same quality. You can make a 32 bit BMP if you need alpha transparency, but you should really use PNG for that. The only difference between a BMP and PNG is the file size. PNGs are smaller because they use lossless compression (a compression technique that compresses a picture that doesn't loose any quality).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back