2.3 Discussion

RVZ doesn't have the gravity-flip gimmick so I don't really think it'd fit all that well. a new one making use of something else like the Rollout Rocks and Horizontal Springs would be more fitting I imagine.

My original assumption for 2.3 is that RVZ will be complete, DSZ2 and all of ERZ will receive remakes and a Possible DCZ1 teaser.

But,

Since the dev team have changed slightly, maybe their vision has too. With the implementation of UDMF happening as we speak, there is a chance devs are holding out for UDMF to be finished to actually start working on maps but i really doubt that. Maybe they have been working on maps and probably will port them to the UDMF format down the line.

Levels aside, gameplay will drastically be updated, if you been on the OS we already can expect, Actual slope momentum, water running and "slope launches into falling frames" so far. But the sky is the limit and i cant possibly know what to expect next.

I heard rumors of Ringslingers getting dumped since no one really wants to maintain it, as someone who exclusively played Ringslinger its a hard pill to swallow but its for the best. I would love to see some sort of replacement that does have RS elements but much more fairer for everyone but thats more of a suggestion than anything.

Other than all of that, Im still lost on what to expect for srb2 in the future in a good way. I trust the team in carrying the torch of SRB2s legacy with cautious optimism.

RVZ doesn't have the gravity-flip gimmick so I don't really think it'd fit all that well. a new one making use of something else like the Rollout Rocks and Horizontal Springs would be more fitting I imagine.

Red Volcano is the stage just before Egg Rock, right? So at the end of Act 2, Sonic gets into the rocket, and the boss fight takes place within the rocket. The boss would make sense as a transition between the two stages.

See, that would explain the anti-gravity, but would stop explaining the lava.

Really though, it's a fine boss and I enjoy it, but RVZ is begging to have a battle like the midboss in Slash Man's stage from Megaman 7.

qd7vAtN.jpg

It'd probably make Brak look like a chump though.

There's a scrapped boss available as an add-on now. I think it was made for Egg Rock, but I think it would fit Red Volcano very well, considering the main threat is the rising lava levels.
I've tried that boss out and it's interesting but not that fun to fight, and lacks the structuring of other bosses with five hits on the regular phase and three on the pinch phase.

I think that whatever Red Volcano's boss ends up being, its arena should use lava sparingly if at all since lava destroys rings and you always start bosses provided 10 rings, meaning there are no more to pick up if you get hit in lava while fighting a boss.

Ring-destroying lava would have fit better with the pre-2.2 system for bosses, where there are rings scattered throughout the arena that you can pick up one at a time if you want. Maybe a lava-themed boss could work out that way, but I think I'd rather have RVZ's boss simply use fire hazards instead of lava. It's much like how 2.2 simplified Deep Sea's boss so that you can't land in the water anymore.

Something that would be cool for the RVZ boss is a fight against a giant T-Rex badnik atop the volcano's peak. When you reach the pinch phase, the volcano erupts and the rest of the fight takes place on a rock flying up into space. Once the boss is defeated, Sonic and friends evacuate into the rocket (which is also on the rock) to end the act, saving themselves before the rock flies too high to breath.

Because the T-Rex is a huge badnik, perhaps it could have flamethrowers and fire grenades that it shoots at Sonic and friends, keeping with the fire theme RVZ has going on.

You one thing this game lacks so far? Running bosses. I'm not sure if there's a more technical term for it, but think like Sonic Mania's Heavy Gunner boss, where the player is constantly in motion. The closest SRB2 has to that right now is the race with Metal Sonic.

Considering RVZ is the 2nd half of the game i would expect to see some challange in the bosses. Currently, the most challenging boss boils down to Metal Sonic Or THZ3 but for all the wrong reason.

Not gonna lie, I'm gonna miss using slopes for thok-jumping if thok indeed ends up getting replaced with something else. IMO would be better to move it to Metal Sonic instead if that's the case.

What I would like to see in 2.3

I would like to see Red Volcano complete, with 3 acts, and Dark City Zone in 2.3. Besides that, it would be good if race had it's own maps, a major update for ringslinger, which remains the same for 10 years and it makes very repetitive for those who have played for a long time, adapt the maps for other characters like Amy, Fang and Metal, and create new maps, like an ACZ CTF map. (Sorry for my bad english, I'm not native of it)

So, if battlemod is in 2.3 that means that match is basically dead, right?

That would break my heart. I love Ringslinger modes so much, it's the reason I play SRB2 most of the time. Yes, people can port it, but making it was an add-on insetad of an official gamemode does not feel the same.

I hope the match map featured on latest OLDC will be featured!

I hear someone is working on adding a second bot feature to the game. It would be cool if there were an unlockable Sonic & Tails & Knuckles character choice in the next major version. Of course, it would also make switching between the three possible, like in Heroes, but I don't know if they would keep that feature to an add-on or not.

I hope that we can get more colorful stages in the game eventually. A lot of SRB2's visuals revolve around shades of grey and a gloomier atmosphere, which definitely evokes the feeling of being an old 90s Windows game and makes SRB2's combo of aesthetics unique unto itself, but it leaves some to be desired for a more Sonic-y looking game.

I think it's mostly Techno Hill 2 I'm thinking of, actually. A lot of grey and repeating, basic textures. More mixing into the aesthetics of Act 1 + more of the construction stripe yellow and black would do it good, but I suppose that's not my call to make.

Last edited:
I hope that we can get more colorful stages in the game eventually. A lot of SRB2's visuals revolve around shades of grey and a gloomier atmosphere, which definitely evokes the feeling of being an old 90s Windows game, but it leaves some to be desired for a more Sonic-y looking game.

I think it's mostly Techno Hill 2 I'm thinking of, actually. A lot of grey and repeating, basic textures. More mixing into the aesthetics of Act 1 + more of the construction stripe yellow and black would do it good, but I suppose that's not my call to make.

>greenflower zone
>techno hill act 1
>deep sea zone
>arid canyon zone
>red volcano zone
>some of egg rock zone
>black core zone
>frozen hillside zone

do i need to continue

honestly, yea, i get what you're saying, techno hill act 2 is a bit dreary looking in terms of palette, but it's a crime to give that description to srb2's graphics as a whole when the entire game takes full use of the 256 colour palette restrictions it has.

Egg Rock and some parts of both Castle Eggman and Deep Sea Zone still kind of feel that way to me. A lot of paler or darker palettes, with repeating brick / metal textures making up the walls. And then we have the upcoming Dark City, which I assume is what it's namesake is.

I do think the game is getting better about it these days though, for sure. Palettes and designs of the stages are much less dull than they used to be. Red Volcano and the underwater parts of DSZ are especially notable for that.

Maybe Techno Hill Act 2 could embrace more of a digital circuitry aesthetic that changes colors? As it is now the level feels more like a steam powered sewage processing plant than anything especially high tech, as the name would imply. Embracing a more high tech looking aesthetic would allow it to really burst with color and look more like what the name implies at the same time.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back