Sonic Mania

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sonic & Knuckles' Flying Battery Zone returns and the backgrounds looks so sick! I'm so happy this got in, as it was on my top 3 most wanted throwback zones.
https://www.sonicstadium.org/2017/03/flying-battery-confirmed-for-sonic-mania/

It's also been delayed until Summer, so it's not too long of a wait. The box art and the posters look amazing and I'm curious to find out what the blurred image on the stream was. A new stage? or a throwback? (If it's a throwback, I'm calling either Sonic 2 Hidden's Palace, Sonic CD's Tidal Tempest, or Sonic 3's Hydro City. Bold predictions I know, but it's the closest I could match the blurred textures with) who knows. A new stage would be really nice though.

Last edited:
The rate is supposedly 60% classic stages and 40% new or otherwise unused ideas, coming from this article. I'd honestly would've liked to see all new content instead of seeing the same assets from other games be re-used, but it won't turn me down from trying the game out when it releases.

Oh yeah, that kinda sucks. I thought it was more new stuff, or at least 50/50. I guess it doesn't matter so long as they add new stuff to the old zones.

The rate is supposedly 60% classic stages and 40% new or otherwise unused ideas, coming from this article. I'd honestly would've liked to see all new content instead of seeing the same assets from other games be re-used, but it won't turn me down from trying the game out when it releases.

Bear it in mind though that the length of the game is confirmed to be even longer than Sonic Generations, which for a classic themed 2D Sonic game, that's pretty big. Despite it being a 60/40 ratio, it's very likely we will be getting a lot of content; new content which what we have so far looks great, along with the throwback zones having the transition of original/new level design mixed together. That I'm quite curious to see how it will turn out with all the zones. For the throwback stages, Green Hill has managed to demonstrate that pretty well so far, and the little snippit of Flying Battery was pretty cool. Though I will go with everyone else here that I would really like to see some original zones, or at least some screenshots. Mirage Saloon is so damn cool.

Last edited:
Has anyone noticed that the Bonus Stages are returning because there was stars above the checkpoints?

Yeah the bonus stages are pretty much confirmed in the recent Flying Battery teaser. I hope it's a mixture of the Sonic 3 & Knuckles' bonus games as that would be nice.

Also I'm really hoping the actual Special Stages are either Blue Sphere, or even a proper stage where you reach the Chaos Emerald at the end. Other from that I'd rather have anything as long as it isn't the half-pipe system for the 20th or so time. That load of shite has literally been flogged to death and needs to stay put down. It gets a bit tiring after a while running down a corridor catching rings. I just want a real challenge, but a fair one too.

Last edited:
One thing I'm really hoping for is more playable characters besides Sonic, Tails, and Knux. I would LOVE to see rosy and the chaotix or even Fang, Bean, and Bark.

Bump again :/ Sonic Mania looks mostly promising, or maybe the trailer music had a big influence on me. If only there was a MIDI version of it available. Man can dream.

IMO, more characters in the game wouldn't feel right. IIRC, S&K had two routes for the story for, even if they were after the same thing. If this kind of story layout is presented in Sonic Mania, it would certainly make each character serve a purpose in the game, by letting us play their own adventures against Eggman. I would like to see the characters put to use like this, rather than just one route for all 3 characters.

As for more characters, what would Amy be doing in midst all this? Of course I'm sure Sega can think of something. And Shadow, I guess would be nice, but I don't it makes sense. But again, Sega can think of something.

Sometimes, simplicity is best.

As for more characters, what would Amy be doing in midst all this? Of course I'm sure Sega can think of something. And Shadow, I guess would be nice, but I don't it makes sense. But again, Sega can think of something.
With Amy it could just be the obligatory she's just chasing Sonic or something but Shadow would be a no-no. Because this is a classic game it wouldn't really make sense if he was apart of the adventure. If anything one thing I would like for Amy (if she's included) is if she took on similar paths for knuckles, seeing as in S3&K Sonic and Tails take the same routes but because of their gameplay differences it felt like a different adventure. Knuckles was basically on his own with his abilities and alternate routes, but if Amy was added she could serve kinda like a Knuckles counterpart. She could take similar routes as Knuckles but because of her different abilities it wouldn't feel like a rehash. Other characters would be nice but after rethinking it I don't really know what else they could bring to the table.

I mean, the mania team can ruin there promise on making a classic and add the chracters as unlockables/Dlc

Business sells

Now I remember. Knuckles starts his adventures in this mushroom zone while Sonic in some green hill clone? That's whay I liked about it. They both start from different paths, which leads to a single path. It would be nice to see this kind of thing in Sonic Mania. Gives the feeling that you're on an alternative route of the story.

The beginning zones are different depending on the character chosen by the player. Gotta love this stuff.

Maybe it's best to leave Amy alone for now. The story is most likely a conflict between the protagonist like Sonic, Tails and Knuckles and the antagonist Eggman. What does Amy have against Eggman (other than the obvious) that would force her to go on her own adventure to defeat Eggman? Chasing after Sonic sounds pretty stupid of her.

Although, playing as Amy as the main protagonist of a seperate Sonic game would be cool.

Now I remember. Knuckles starts his adventures in this mushroom zone while Sonic in some green hill clone? That's whay I liked about it. They both start from different paths, which leads to a single path. It would be nice to see this kind of thing in Sonic Mania. Gives the feeling that you're on an alternative route of the story.

The beginning zones are different depending on the character chosen by the player. Gotta love this stuff.

If you are talking about Sonic 3 & Knuckles, that is certainly not how it works. The Sonic 3 portion of the game always starts in Angel Island Zone, and the Sonic & Knuckles portion always starts in Mushroom Hill Zone. You may be being confused by Knuckles having an introductory cutscene at the start of the standalone Sonic & Knuckles cart, which does take place in Mushroom Hill, but that is not the start on Knuckles' story.

If you are talking about Sonic 3 & Knuckles, that is certainly not how it works. The Sonic 3 portion of the game always starts in Angel Island Zone, and the Sonic & Knuckles portion always starts in Mushroom Hill Zone. You may be being confused by Knuckles having an introductory cutscene at the start of the standalone Sonic & Knuckles cart, which does take place in Mushroom Hill, but that is not the start on Knuckles' story.
I think he was referring to Sonic Mania considering he said Green Hill but I'm not too sure tbh. I haven't really watched Sonic Mania stuff so I don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 3, Members: 0, Guests: 3)

Back