Contest Discussion Topic (2.0.X)

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's no forced teleportation, JEV3. The computer screens are intangible, and you can walk through them into a small passageway that opens out into the central area. The warp tunnels on either side of the central room use teleportation, but players don't have to use those at all.

Also, I have thought through how this will affect multiplayer gameplay. Basically, I've set it up so that players have to strike a balance. The best items are often hidden out of the way, so you must choose between making a break for the flag and taking a meandering course while arming yourself to the teeth. It's all about alternate paths, and different ways of doing the same thing.

I will admit that UDZ is a bit more gimmicky that conventional CTF levels should be, but I've done my best to make sure that any sort of theme-related disruption is minimal at most. Most notably, I've dashed around it on my own, taking all the routes possible, and reducing the difficulty whenever I think a certain route will more likely than not cause you to fall into a death pit.

I've also tried to make scenery in such a way that most of it either doesn't affect gameplay at all, or else affects it in a positive way. For instance, I created a line of pipes that makes it a bit easier to quickly jump onto the computer keyboards. Other scenery, like the pipes that intermittently pour slime (if you look at the third screenshot of the level from my first post, you'll see one in the background), has been placed so that it can be seen, but has absolutely no influence on what's going on in the battle (unless somebody sits there staring at it, mesmerized, which I think isn't that likely).

"Tight passageway or warp tunnel" doesn't sound like an interesting or effective tradeoff for me. It's still segregated which may not work for CTF. It could work, of course, but the only way to know is by testing. Its not unlikely that it will play differently than planned, and while you could adapt to it, it sounds like a design where that won't exactly be easy.
As for fluff, you do need to be careful. Its one of my own most common pitfalls. If it truly doesn't affect the gameplay, it shouldn't be a concern until after that aspect of it has already been finalized. While working on 2.0, I had to steer clear of Mystic's maps until he had the central gameplay concepts solid... because its already common knowledge the textures were made near the end of the design process, I'll also point out that TPZ's pipes are an example of sector-based fluff that didn't come in until the level was all but finished. Then Mystic took those elements and made sure that they were consistent with his design.
A good example of what not to do is my old 1.09.4 match map, VDZ. Some scenery was useful, some was useless, and between it all the level had no sense of direction (even if it looked good and played halfway decent). On top of all that, it lagged most computers.

And on that last subject, I haven't had any chance to work on Moss Flower recently, but at some point I might want to start looking for advice on how to trim down the first half of the stage. Culling planes are broken, so they are out of the question... so in the meantime, I'll need to find a cleaner way to cue underwater fan sectors than those (sparsely placed even!) fans. And I know my soc is going to bug up the first few times to use it, not one of the enemies I socced for this map worked the first time. And lastly, I'm going to need to figure out how to oggify themes. I'm not planning on doing any neat stuff with digital music, but a loop point would be nice.

EDIT: Oh, and the difficulty curve. I don't intend my level pack to be easy, but even Mystic Realm wasn't ambitious enough to start out its first level underwater. I like the idea of giving the player a change of pace halfway through the level and making that change of pace something that allows him to go FASTER rather than slower... but I don't want the first half of the level to trivialize the difficulty of the second half.

Last edited:
You have some excellent points, and, as a developer, I think you're worth listening to. I've got to consider what you're saying, and I'll try looking back at the level while keeping what you said in mind. All I'll say is that I actually did wait until I had fleshed out the level design before starting to add in fluff.

Due to the fact that my computer's messed up again, FFZ2 might not make it into this Contest.
I'll probably finish it in time for the next one, though.

Aww. thats sad, But I might be in this contest beacause I am making a race level named Polluted Woods Zone (If you have a better name than that I would like that)

no proof yet!

Try Miasma Forest Zone; I just thought it up, and it would be an excellent name--especially if this is your first level.

Guys, you're arguing about the difference in definition of synonyms. This is pretty high up on the list of stupid things to argue about =P

Guys, you're arguing about the difference in definition of synonyms. This is pretty high up on the list of stupid things to argue about =P
That's what I tried to say, but obviously my subtle sarcasm was too subtle...

After all, Miasma Forest sounds quite nice if you ask me.

Well, I'm gonna keep submitting some stuff here, as you might guess. I might change the name Subterranean Atlanticism. It doesn't even fit unless you use the Subtitle.

I make this small post to simply say that I'm not going to be visiting MB nearly as much. It's getting boring, so I'm gonna be being here mostly for OLDC anymore.

I plan on entering JFZ2, as well as a match level this time, Restricted Cavern, which will likely be horrible, as it is my first MP level. I might also be entering a CTF and Race level, if I find the time.

I will most definitely have Twisted Paradise done for this upcoming OLDC(I am not sure whether my brother released/put out that MH level before this point). Although, since we only have one computer that will run SRB2DB, there is a possibility that it might not be completed even though I've worked on it for some time now(approximately 5 months).

Are there any screenshots? I would like a little more then just talking about it. What will Twisted Paridise zone contain?

Just want to remind everyone: February only has 28 days in it, which means there's only a week left until the contest submission period ends. We have 8 entries so far, so make sure you get yours in if you're planning on entering.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 3, Members: 0, Guests: 3)

Back