Sonic 2006 MOD! (Free of glitches)

STHE123O

Little Monster
Welcome to my SRB2 2006 mod! Levels are based on the originals but they are not an exact copy. Its like my Heroes mod, similar parts, but most of them are my own level design. In most of the levels, you can find "Emerald Doors" that need a switch to open, and contain a Chaos Emerald. In all the levels (except Wave Ocean) there are also "Solaris Doors", that only open when you have all the Chaos Emeralds. What they contain inside is a mystery! There is a total of 47 Soleanna Medals that you can find as any character. I hope you all have fun!

Levels:
- Wave Ocean
- Dusty Desert
- White Acropolis
- Crisis City
- Flame Core
- Radical Train
- Tropical Jungle
- Kingdom Valley
- Aquatic Base

Important:
- Use Analog control OFF (At least in the Mach Speed sections of the levels, otherwise they wont work properly)
- Recommended to play in OpenGL because of some lag and graphical errors for slopes in Software mode

Thanks to:
Skateboard Lua: Lach
Mach Speed Lua: BlueBlurForever
Monitor sprites: -CG7244-
Riders sprites: CZ64
Shadow sprites by Speedwagon (used as a base for Mephiles)

MOD Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlfgCnwk1P4

Attachments

• srb20001.png
    srb20001.png
    338.1 KB · Views: 9,869
  • srb20002.png
    srb20002.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 6,357
  • srb20007.png
    srb20007.png
    348 KB · Views: 4,790
  • srb20017.png
    srb20017.png
    440.5 KB · Views: 5,389
  • srb20019.png
    srb20019.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 4,161
  • srb20020.png
    srb20020.png
    416.3 KB · Views: 4,953
  • srb20026.png
    srb20026.png
    477.5 KB · Views: 3,612
  • srb20027.png
    srb20027.png
    459.3 KB · Views: 3,458
  • srb20031.png
    srb20031.png
    548.1 KB · Views: 4,059
  • srb20033.png
    srb20033.png
    319.9 KB · Views: 3,591
  • srb20038.png
    srb20038.png
    486 KB · Views: 3,119
  • srb20039.png
    srb20039.png
    135.9 KB · Views: 3,719
  • srb20041.png
    srb20041.png
    220 KB · Views: 4,598
  • 2006Music.rar
    42.8 MB · Views: 37,553
  • sc_2006.rar
    45.8 MB · Views: 50,048
Last edited:
Welcome to Releases! By far the best Sonic 06 experience I've had to date.

Great work! Completed only 1st zone and this MOD feels amazing.
Really good work on textures.
Rigorous feedback will be given once I finish the MOD.

Last edited:
Played through it last night.

• Geez, you really like spikeballs on slopes, huh?
  • I know you mentioned GL is recommended, but you should still consider doing some work to make this run better in Software. You've got some extremely large rooms that would be less lag-spike-inducing (or buggy, with overflow HOM) if you gave them curves that blocked off the distant geometry.
  • Speaking of - you have a bunch of slopy islands just poking out of the water. The issue there is that slopes cannot intersect other flats! You need to cut the sectors where they'd pass through the water flat. That's not too hard, right?
  • "Destroy all the enemies to proceed" isn't fun, especially when using default enemies. You should consider asking for help to design some source-material-accurate badniks/demons.
  • That one help hint in Tropical Jungle which tells you to look for a yellow spring? I couldn't find it (I was playing as Sonic) so I abused slope physics on the base of those palm trees next to the checkpoint. You should try to make the spring there more visible (and anyways, aren't all the springs red-looking with your resources?)
  • A bunch of areas in Crisis City were pretty confusing - specifically, the four streets around a central building that contained a button. Since the entrance to the room then needs you to go left to progress, you should raise the floor to the right to guide the player. You can hide stuff on the other side of that block, too!
  • You use Pity Shields and Armageddon Shields as recurring power ups. My advice would be to either use the full range of shields (ala SRB2) or ONLY the Pity Shield (and maybe Attraction Shield too) for Adventure era accuracy, since the Pity Shield is explicitly worse than all the other shields (and I hate its Sonic 1 equivalent in Mania for that reason).
  • Detons in Mach Speed sections? Really?

Despite all my criticisms, I did have a good time. Just watch out, and please don't make the same mistakes in your next project, which is inevitably going to be SRB2 Unleashed at this rate. :P

Darn, we're not gonna make it, Let's speed up!

You're really a fast mapper, a Single map would take me a month to finish :P, Good job.

Alright after playing through the mod I've finally reached Kingdom valley, But got stuck in one of the Rooms, I was expecting the door to open after I defeat all the robots nearby but It didn't.

This is.....what, the 4th or 5th Sonic 2006 levelpack made for SRB2? Not that it matters, it's fantastic to see more of this stuff and you keep improving in general! There's plenty of speed-platforming and exploration going on, the amount of custom textures/skyboxes/sprites you use are impressive, and I love just how big and open everything is. I do have some issues with this first version, though, which could've maybe used some final polish after a good playtesting.

Mach Speed sections glitched all players in netplay(though I did have Silver and Shadow added) forcing everyone to run fast even outside of mach speed sections. You could be a bit more generous with monitors and checkpoints. The amount of gameovers I saw people getting(especially in White Acropolis' slope-jumping section) were insane. Maybe hide some more shields in crates or simply out in the open. Nothing wrong with a small mini-challenge in plain sight over having to scavenge every nook and cranny for supplies.

I think you should rethink using the original game's texturing. It clashes terribly with SRB2's style and hurts the eyes in probably every level. Not to mention most of the platforms tend to blend with each other. I suggest playing around with SRB2's textures, both in-game and from asset packs made in the same style as it could make the game look a lot prettier.

Either way, I enjoyed looking for the Emeralds, although some of the button locations were downright sadistic (I'm looking at you, Tropical Jungle). Which drives me to a different point:

You've got some extremely large rooms that would be less lag-spike-inducing (or buggy, with overflow HOM) if you gave them curves that blocked off the distant geometry.

Read this at least ten times, the lag makes Flame Core, Tropical Jungle and Kingdom Valley a complete joke.

Hey guys glad you liked it in general. I have some lag in Tropical Jungle second part, but not on Flame Core or Kingdom Valley. About the textures, yeah, some look good, some dont, but thats always a problem when making a mod about an existing Sonic game. I am not changing them. And about the slopes, yeah, I should make some of them a little easier I guess.

And toaster, I used mostly Armageddon, Pity and Attraction shields. And I dont see Detons as too hard in mach speed sections, most of the time they kill each other xD
And that hint in Tropical Jungle tells you to look for a "spring", not a "yellow spring" actually. I guess it wasnt clear you can brake the stone floors though.

Anyway, keep the reviews coming so I can see all the problems.

Yeah, toaster's right on the nose here. Maybe not the Deton thing (you can always see them coming so they're easy and fun to dodge) but ESPECIALLY with the bad performance thing. The second half of Tropical Jungle and a few areas in Kingdom Valley kneecap the game really badly and delayed/ignored button inputs when maneuvering over bottomless pits SUCKS. I also agree there should be more rewards in the wooden crates, almost all of them are empty and that's lame when you stop to destroy all the crates in an area and you walk away with nothing, not even extra rings. And while enemy placement is mostly fine, there are a couple annoyances. Like, there's this knight enemy in Radical Train that's placed in such a dickish way that you'll ram into it unless you're in first person mode. And please, no enemies around cutscene-triggering buttons, because if you pressed the button before destroying them all then they might get a cheap hit on you while the cutscene plays. It almost happened to me with the button that opens Area 2 in Aquatic Base, I didn't destroy the Robo-Hoods in the hallway before it and I just barely avoided taking two arrows to the face when the cutscene of the door opening ended.

I'm surprised to learn that the stone floors in Tropical Jungle can be broken since I got stuck in the area with the mushroom too and I tried breaking those floors but nothing I would do worked. I ended up doing the same thing toaster did and slope physics'd my way onto the mushroom (and up until right now I thought that was the right solution and the "spring" that the hint mentioned was just metaphorical or something, lol). So, a little more clarification there would have helped, yeah.

Other than that and the first two bosses being really pointless (though I understand there was probably nothing you could do about it), I had a lot of fun playing this. The levels are well constructed (they are long but they never felt long to me), the mach speed sections are great, I actually like the "artstyle" (the way the sprites and levels clash just feels right to me for some reason), and I appreciated how challenging it was overall - it wasn't ball-busting but it kept me on my toes. I think I might even try to 100% it, if the issues with performance get fixed (or at least the really bad ones in Tropical Jungle and Kingdom Valley because really, there's a ton of spots where the framerate dips even if it's only in those two levels where it gets ridiculous).

EDIT: Or more hidden items in general. You can get to cool places with creative slope jumping but then there's nothing there. Or you go and get stuck, like the 1-up behind the laser barrier after the snowboarding section in White Acropolis. Sonic can get there with a proper slope jump using the rocks around, but he has no way of returning to the level.

Last edited:
Completed the main zones. It was a fun mod for me. I collected some of the emeralds but lost all my hopes in finding the first emerald button in tropical jungle and 'There's no emerald here'. I can't find them even with noclip!
Second part of Tropical Jungle was laggy and showed visual glitches in software mode (I can't play in OpenGL).
...And that black hole looks wrong on the tree top in Tropical Jungle.

Attachments

• srb20057.jpg
    srb20057.jpg
    288.8 KB · Views: 1,565
I went through and played the entire mod, and I have to say, that its pretty fun. Honestly though, I would see about avoiding cases where you are unable to backtrack in the level to get access to a switch to open the emerald door. While Radical Train suffers from this problem, it is nowhere as bad as in Tropical Jungle, where the button is hidden in the side of a side path, that one wouldn't even be able to locate without cheating and viewing the map with an editor.

Other than that, I'd recommend seeing about adjusting the textures to fit SRB2's theme somewhat closer. I know that cases like the cracked emerald door tend to heavily clash with itself, for example, and there is the obvious loss in quality from just simply converting the 06 textures to the SRB2 Palette.

But uh, still good mod.

Finally 100%'d the mod! Took me longer than I expected.

Anyway, the maps were alright, but they certainly felt empty and sometimes not very challenging (some of the earlier maps, such as Crisis City and Radical Train, have much more challenging parts than later maps, which feels weird). I also expected different enemies. For one, I would have loved to fight Silver and constantly hear "It's no use!" while being lifted in the air (I'm a masochist, but I also saw worse).
The Emerald Switch locations were okay, but some were not evident to find. Also, DYING RESETS THE DOOR IN SINGLEPLAYER! That's harsh, considering the Switches aren't easy to find in the first places and some maps have some difficult sections between the Switch and the Door.
The Emblem hunt was tedious. They were extremely hard to find due to the size of the maps and the lack of hints. But then one can realize the gimmick behind most of your Emblem placements. And once that's done, the hunt still remains tedious, but becomes surprisingly easier... way too easy at times.
The secrets were meh... I expected more from the parts that were supposed to be hilarious, but hey subjectivity!

All in all, I kinda had fun with the mod, but 100%-ing it isn't as satisfying as I expected it to be.

Just watch out, and please don't make the same mistakes in your next project, which is inevitably going to be SRB2 Unleashed at this rate. :P

Apparently, he already did that.

I went through and played the entire mod, and I have to say, that its pretty fun. Honestly though, I would see about avoiding cases where you are unable to backtrack in the level to get access to a switch to open the emerald door. While Radical Train suffers from this problem, it is nowhere as bad as in Tropical Jungle, where the button is hidden in the side of a side path, that one wouldn't even be able to locate without cheating and viewing the map with an editor.

Tropical Jungle's button took me a long time to find, but is far from impossible to locate without cheating. However, I am completely stumped on Flame Core's emerald, with its broken button message. If anyone who knows the solution could PM me, I'd appreciate it.

Overall, this mod meets all my expectations. I have a lot of misplaced love for Sonic 2006, so being able to play a recreation of it that controls well is a blessing. Definitely your best work yet, STHE.

Tropical Jungle's button took me a long time to find, but is far from impossible to locate without cheating. However, I am completely stumped on Flame Core's emerald, with its broken button message. If anyone who knows the solution could PM me, I'd appreciate it.

Overall, this mod meets all my expectations. I have a lot of misplaced love for Sonic 2006, so being able to play a recreation of it that controls well is a blessing. Definitely your best work yet, STHE.

Hey thanks for the comment! I love 06 too. For the emerald in Flame Core, I ll PM you a hint.

Also thanks to everyone for the comments and criticism, I read all of your posts.

Hey, It's good to help a bit in the 2006 project, well, was less important, I mean, I just remade the riders monitor box sprites, this is a suprise for me, my tiny and remade-riders-monitor-box sprites are in beautifull maps (lol) , so, talking about the mod, I didn't passed at 100%, just finished at a half of Flame Core (basically passed the 45% in the mod), because it was too laggy for me... shitty laptop. -_- (Intel Celeron 847)

Anyway, at least I tested and passed almost a half of the mod, the structures are awesome, looks like a landscape! (... I don't know if my english is failing there), well, I didn't played in-software too much because there was some bugs in the structures, I played it in opengl in my pc (Pentium Dual Core E5400, a bit more better than my laptop), and looks awesome with JeckJims' models in it! Well, there are some challenging parts in the maps, specially in city esc- Crisis City, but I didn't have a problem in it. Anyway, Nice mod, keep it up. ;)

EDIT: When I noticed my name in the description, I said "WHEN?!", It's because I was innactive in the MB (and discord) a long time, and now I remember lol.

Last edited:
Hey, It's good to help a bit in the 2006 project, well, was less important, I mean, I just remade the riders monitor box sprites, this is a suprise for me, my tiny and remade-riders-monitor-box sprites are in beautifull maps (lol) , so, talking about the mod, I didn't passed at 100%, just finished at a half of Flame Core (basically passed the 45% in the mod), because it was too laggy for me... shitty laptop. -_- (Intel Celeron 847)

Anyway, at least I tested and passed almost a half of the mod, the structures are awesome, looks like a landscape! (... I don't know if my english is failing there), well, I didn't played in-software too much because there was some bugs in the structures, I played it in opengl in my pc (Pentium Dual Core E5400, a bit more better than my laptop), and looks awesome with JeckJims' models in it! Well, there are some challenging parts in the maps, specially in city esc- Crisis City, but I didn't have a problem in it. Anyway, Nice mod, keep it up. ;)

EDIT: When I noticed my name in the description, I said "WHEN?!", It's because I was innactive in the MB (and discord) a long time, and now I remember lol.

Hey! Glad you liked it :D And yes some levels are too big wich causes the lag in some parts. Your monitors work really well I think, so thank you! Now try to beat the rest of the levels ;)

Nice Mephiles sprites owo
Actually, too good for a simple Metal Sonic sprite swap
You should do a Mephiles character WAD

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back