Why can only Sonic and Metal turn super?

Super Amy: She no longer needs to use her hammer on springs to get a big boost, just hammering the ground launches her high into the air.

All I really have to say is that I'd like to see Amy's supercolor be changed from red to yellow.

All I really have to say is that I'd like to see Amy's supercolor be changed from red to yellow.

What if we had a super pink pal. Would that work?

Only mentioned it cos amy with super yellow feels weird/ not make sense on amy.

every single hedgehog turns some shade of yellow, so it'd kind weird Amy does not.

The pattern I've noticed in super forms seem to mostly rely on going into a warm/bright color, if the character isn't one already. Characters who are already a warm color scheme just go brighter (Tails, Knuckles), and characters who are more of a cool color have their color turn into their warm complementary.

This might be a bit of a stretch, but Shadow is some times depicted as a very unsaturated dark blue, while Silver's hue seems to lean a bit more towards blue, so it makes sense for them to be yellow while also a bit creamier and more unsaturated looking than Sonic's super colors.

Anyway, rambling aside, since Amy is already a very warm color much like Knuckles, I think it makes sense for her to have a brighter version of her own color already.

My own ideas for super abilities are already implemented in revi, though Sonic's will be replaced in the future since I'm likely changing his main ability again. I think my best, or at least most unique idea from that set is Amy's super.
Super Amy
Passive - Drain Hammer
Amy loses rings twice as quickly as other characters while super, but striking an enemy with her hammer will award her a pack of rings. Hearts spawned by the hammer while super will hunt down enemies to drain from.

attachment.php

Active - Spiral Jump
A double jump which reaches incredible heights but cancels your momentum on use.

attachment.php

Coincidentally, I've also been trying out a custom supercolor for Amy in the next update of my mod. I figured I'd post it here since people were wondering about a pink supercolor.

srb20002.gif

My own ideas for super abilities are already implemented in revi, though Sonic's will be replaced in the future since I'm likely changing his main ability again. I think my best, or at least most unique idea from that set is Amy's super.

Coincidentally, I've also been trying out a custom supercolor for Amy in the next update of my mod. I figured I'd post it here since people were wondering about a pink supercolor.

srb20002.gif

I really like the Double Jump for her and i especially like this Super colour ramp.

One option I've been considering recently: if the Battle mod ever gets added to vanilla, perhaps obtaining the emeralds could unlock a character's Battle abilities?

They are, after all, just like Super Sonic, special abilities that cost rings. And it would provide a singleplayer purpose for said abilities.

As for the exact details, like whether these abilities would be included as part of a character's super form or separately independent of that, I'm not sure. This is just an idea that I figured was worth considering.

What do you guys think?

Would each character have an unique-looking super form for them? So far (out of the Mania cast at least), Sonic is the only one to have a design alteration that goes beyond a mere color change.

I've seen a handful of fan designs trying to tackle unique Super forms for Tails and Knuckles, but none that I've really taken a liking to.

Its about time this thread got revived. Honestly, id be happy if everyone had a super form that doesn't require 100% completion, even if they didn't have anything unique. But I wanna throw my hat into the ring with super form suggestions. Im just gonna do tails because I cant really think of anything else at the moment. Id like if he got his FLICKY ARMY OF DEATH™. Seeing how tails is the easy mode of the game, I think his super form should really drive the point home. So to really do that, I propose that the flickys can destroy nearby ring monitors and can go out and drag rings to you. Seeing how the game doesn't really focus on destroying the enemys unless its part of a wad, and you are already invincible, having them kill nearby enemys doesn't have much of a point imo. They could still kill enemys, but having them help you maintain the form longer is much more useful.

How about Super Tails removes the horizontal movement restriction when ascending? Allowing much more freedom of movement.

I dislike the idea that Sega made with the whole "only male hedgehog can turn super" , especially in Heroes...

I would like if Tails got infinite flight tho.

So, Chrispy on twitter just casually revealed that super knux (who can swim) is gonna be a thing in 2.2.5... so I guess the devs didn't actually intend in making anyone who isn't sonic or metal super-less. Seem's like this is gonna age a little poorly.
Here's the tweet: https://twitter.com/ChrispyPixels/status/1279182442834866177

All work on patches (not full updates like 2.3, just patches) is public on GitLab. Here's the page for Knuckles improvements. It's not exclusive to Super Knuckles—normal Knuckles can "swim" too.

srb20012.gif

There are plenty more 2.2.5 "spoilers" you can find there. The one I'm looking forward to the most is the massive improvements to OpenGL. I might even switch away from Software.

I've already put my take on this for Tails and Amy with a Lua I whipped up, giving Tails a super whirlwind jump and Amy a hammer nuke. The code I made for it was...crusty, but it's more of a proof of concept thing to me.

srb20016.gif

srb20015.gif

Either way, I believe that anyone that isn't Sonic or maybe Knuckles and Metal Sonic should get something different than a super. It feels out of character for some of them, especially in the case of Amy and Fang. Fang should totally get the Marvelous Queen. For Amy, I think her ability should intentionally not be as useful since she's a hard mode character, and thus the hammer nuke was my take on that.

Last edited:
I mean, I imagine those changes were in the works when the topic even got unlocked. Also yeah, Knuckles can 'swim'. Little touches like that, completely unnecessay, but add character all the same.

I'm very much looking forward to seeing how Super Knuckles will be received. I think it's a good idea to just give Knuckles a super form for now, rather than all characters at once, so that logical feedback and criticism can be given instead of people going "OH MY GOD EVERYONE CAN GO SUPER NOW YES YES YES".

I also want to say that I really like Knuckles' swimming sprites and am excited to have them in the game. It's pretty funny to think about how in SRB2, Tails and Knuckles are both good swimmers but Sonic doesn't know how to swim so he all he can do is fumble around through the water and hope he doesn't drown.

Yeah, the one at a time approach is definitely the best way to handle this, feedback wise. I'm definitely looking forward to trying him out in the next patch.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back