SRB2 Teamspeak server

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a program called Ventrilo (vent for short) which is a voice chat server. Basically it is like IM but instead, you talk obviously. The IRC was dead last I have been there. If the administrator is interested in this, then I will try to post some info about it in a thread. The admin basically creates a server on Vent and then he gets to create certain channels in Vent. Not only that, but the admin(s) can create a channel exclusively for the staff od SRB2. Meaning that a password is required in order to get in the admin channel. This channel would be usefull for admins to discuss anything. All you need is a mic (a headset will work) and then of course you get to assign a talk key. I think this will be useful for those who are playing SRB2 net play because... they can talk. (duh) They can also leave Vent up and still use it regardless of what program you are running. The best part is that they all will be able to talk in-game to each other instead of typing. A problem that I encounter is missing what people say because either i'm too busy focusing on hitting someone during a match game or I lost what they said even though I pull down the console.

I almost forgot to mention, the last time I used IRC for a forum that I used to visit that I left now got their IRC hacked. Vent on the other hand isn't hackable. Or at least I heard.

Also, you can also open up a chat bot similar to IRC for those who don't have a mic. The chat box is visible to all and anything said in there is public like IRC.

This believe this is a good suggestion. If not... eh, I tried. :wink:

You know Vent and Teamspeak aren't the same thing, right?
No, IRC isn't dead. It's quite alive 90% of the time.

Whoops, yeah. My mistake. XD Just vent everybody. Just pretend that I was kidding about the Teamspeak part.

IRC maybe alive, but not for me, because my time zone is different. I know, I know, it sucks. :cry:

So what is the point of this? Using vent to replace IRC? Seems pretty pointless to me. It would be nice to use Vent for netgames, though. But I can almost guarantee it will make SRB2 even laggier than it usually is. :/

Shuffle said:
So what is the point of this? Using vent to replace IRC? Seems pretty pointless to me. It would be nice to use Vent for netgames, though. But I can almost guarantee it will make SRB2 even laggier than it usually is. :/

Well, no. It doesn't make it too laggy for me. Maybe minimal at the most. (Maybe cause my server ping is low. Last I checked it was 50-something) But anyway, it is not to replace IRC. I think it would be just another alternative for those who would like to use it for net games. I just think it would be cool to take a crack at it.

SRB2's netcode is so horrible that most people can only host about 5 player games before it starts choking up. Modern games are able to host 32+ player games WITH voice chat..
With all of the players running voice chat, I think it would lower the number of players in those netgames to 3 or 4.

Here's an idea.

And there it goes. *shot*

Anyways, I haven't really needed voice chat anyway. Then again, I don't have a microphone, I'd love to get a headset someday.

Maybe so despite the fact that I had 6 players at one point and it worked fine. Although it did skip a few times for about half a minute after someone joined but other than that it was all good. One more thing, most of the servers I see only go around the 4 player range. But if this idea of mine isn't going to follow through then just forget my suggestion.

Oh, and since you said that the net code is so horrible on SRB2, is it being improved by any chance? And I believe that there is a low chance of all players in a game using voice chat. I know players play SRB2 who aren't a part of this forum so I doubt net games would be outrageous. Maybe a little laggy when someone connects, but overall fine.

If you poke around the internet, you're bound to find a free voice chat client that doesn't take up much recources.

Shuffle said:
Actually, I think Teamspeak takes up less bandwidth than Vent.

Then I guess I got the topic name right now then. :) Since Teamspeak takes up less bandwidth according to you, I guess we could take a crack at that now. Still, you said you think, and also, Vent is easier to use according to the admins of the other forum I go to. Meh, I guess it goes both ways somehow. However, sacrificing flexibility for less bandwidth usage would be the best way to go, but we are going to need an experiment to see which takes up less.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back