Sonic Classic Collection Hits the DS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Drop Sonic 1 and 2, add in Sonic CD, make sure the product isn't a terrible port, and then we'll talk business.

Yeah, right.

Last edited:
Drop Sonic 1 and 2, add in Sonic CD, make sure the product isn't a terrible port, and then we'll talk business.

Yeah, right.

Well *if* Sonic 3 & Knuckles is in as an unlockable, then have that. I'm curious to see what the extra content has in store for us.

From what I'm seeing at the moment, it looks like a genesis game collection. I personally doubt Sonic CD would get in, but who knows..

With any luck, this won't be a repeat of Sonic 1 GBA. Putting the classic Sonic games on a portable system is a good idea (especially considering the DS's screensize), I just don't know if I'll have any use for it considering I've already got two or three different copies of each of these games.

I do have the Sonic and Knuckles collection, but I would love the opportunity to play all three Sonic games on the go. I am far less picky about what constitutes replay on the DS than I am about what constitutes replay on the PC/Consoles. For example, I've played far more of Phantom Hourglass than Twilight Princess even though the latter the better game and has a deeper system for replay (except for the ship customization, squee)...

My main concerns are:

A - Is the music up to par?
B - What will they be using the two screens for
C - Does it have Sonic2k, Sonic3k, and Blue Spheres
D - What is Sonic doing here?

Maybe Knuckles & Sonic could be a possible team, just as Sonic & Tails was. Although, I don't see how Sonic could "respawn" after getting off-screen. Possibly he just "flashes in" like in Sonic Advance 3?

Or, far more likely, they took a screenshot of Knuckles gameplay and then pasted Sonic into the screenshot to make it obviously a Sonic game for those kids that didn't know.

That doesn't bode well for the quality of the port.

On the website called Sonic City, after a paragraph with 7 mentions of Sonic? And if you don't know Sonic and Knuckles, you don't deserve to be a Sonic fan IIMO.
Now, Sega putting that in to make hype also makes sense.

They said they were making FULL USE OF THE DS'S CAPABILITIES if I read correctly.

So, I'm guessing that Sonic is Player 1 and Knuckles is Player 2. Wirelessly connected with the status on the other screen.

Yeah, right.

So replace the best game in the series with the over appreciated one (Which probably may not be all that doable given Sega CD emulation)

Yeah, great idea.

But seriously, this better have lock on functions like Sonic Jam. And I hope this "quicksave" thing is much like SMA:SMB3's quicksave (As in, it saves, and loads where you were but deletes the save in the process so you can't just undo every mistake you make)

Last edited:
C - Does it have Sonic2k, Sonic3k, and Blue Spheres
From what I've read on a couple various articles, yes to all of the above. I'm personally hoping they go the extra mile and make Sonic1k, but they didn't specify that.

And I hope this "quicksave" thing is much like SMA:SMB3's quicksave (As in, it saves, and loads where you were but deletes the save in the process so you can't just undo every mistake you make)
Isn't that the accepted definition of a quicksave?
Also, a 2 player coop mode sounds interesting, both players having rings, lives, score, etc. may make a nice addition. In fact, having a Sonic 2 vs. mode option will be great.
But as said, SEGA possibly put Sonic in that picture solely for hype. But one could hope that SEGA possibly is gutting out of the rut, with this and Needlemouse and all...

So replace the best game in the series with the over appreciated one (Which probably may not be all that doable given Sega CD emulation)

Yeah, great idea.

I find Sonic 2 to be the most shallow of the early 90's games. But, that's a matter of opinion, and I concede to you on that technical point.

Sonic CD wouldn't fit on a DS cart without the quality of the music taking a hit. And even then, it would be the only game on there. Of course, that's the Sega CD version, I have no idea how big the PC version is.

That's entirely unaccurate. Sonic CD could fit on the DS just fine. Cartridge sizes are far bigger than they used to be, and audio compression is much better than it was back in the 90s.

DS cartridges are measured in megabits, not bytes. The largest size I have seen is 512Mb, or only 64MB. The Sega CD version, even with music *completely* removed, is 116MB. So no, it would not fit. At all. Heck, I was wrong in saying it would fit even with the music compressed.

Last edited:
Um, not sure if this is a point but..
The DS can handle PS2 music. I don't see why it couldn't handle a Sega CD.

Sonic CD's music is a straight raw 44khz 16bit stereo audio stream, as well as sampled tracker-like stuff for the past stages (which is easily doable on the DS for sure).

"PS2 music" is either synthesized with 16 or more channels on the hardware, or a ADPCM stream (32000hz rate or higher), capable of interpolation, echo and reverb (I don't know how one can say the DS can 'handle' this.).

On the DS, they'd have to resample to a low sampling rate (16000hz or 22050hz, around that range) and use a 4-bit ADPCM codec if they want it. Or, if budget is given to skilled and experience console game music producers, the hard way would lead to the whole big soundtrack being rearranged for the DS's audio DSP (tracked by ear, losing some of the flair the soundtrack had which relied a lot on reverb, out of the DS's capability.)

I proabally don't need this. I already have the following Sonic games:
Sonic Mega Collection
Sonic Gems Collection
Sonic Riders
Sonic Heroes
Sonic Adventure DX

I think I have a few more but, thats all I can think of off the top of my head.

Anyways, I would like the DS version of Sonic The Hedgehog 3. I wonder if I can beat it quicker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back