• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

So I've been working on some things lately

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tets

one rude dude
I've begun putting some more work into my maps as of late - in particular, since the public release of Zone Builder, not to mention the advent of slopes and proper slope physics.

In the last couple weeks I've picked up Frigid Peak act 2 again, continuing with my previous improvements as well as adding slopes where appropriate. The entire level now covers much more surface area and incorporates more branching paths, with further focus on caverns and underwater areas.

srb20012.png

I've also worked more on the visual aesthetic of the level design. It took me a while to work out this translucent ice, I had to use custom water blocks that don't render planes. This unfortunately clashes with my translucent ice bobbing platforms if you land on them from high enough, and I'm unsure how I'll deal with that, but otherwise I like the visual effect much more than opaque ice. In addition to looking nice it also helps me tease the player with secrets which would otherwise be totally hidden from view.

srb20011.png

Beyond just adding sloped ground where it makes sense, I've employed the use of slopes in little scenery bits here and there as well. The big glowing gemstone above is a simple effect to look at, but was slightly tricky to work out without using vertex things. I'm happy with how it turned out in the end.

In general, Blue Heaven as a cohesive level pack is in complete disarray right now, everything is up in the air. I wouldn't dream of releasing any part of it right now, but I'm working toward bringing it all back together. But right now, because everyone keeps asking me, I want to make it official: I'm still working on things. Just don't get too hyped; anyone who has known me long enough can tell you in no uncertain terms that I take it slow. Besides which, since I'm adding slopes, Blue Heaven's next public release is technically dependent upon 2.2 :V

As far as I've seen there, didn't impressed me. First of all I only see bland sections, don't think adding slopes could change a bland map or section. Hope this is only the beginning of remastering the Blue Heaven.

Nice stuff. It IS true that the extra textures included with SRB2 have become kind of old hat by now, though. If you want any assistance with texturing, I'd be happy to help prototype some designs with you because Blue Heaven was a lot of fun way back when.

Yeah, unfortunately I have no talent for texturing. Frigid Peak could certainly use a better visual makeover than what I've given it. At some point I also want to get started on a decent skybox, something with far off peaks and clouds rolling along the bottom, but that's going to rely on texture work as well for the most part.

I still remember most of what I knew about mapping since pre-2.1, but I have so much more information to assimilate now. That's great though, since learning new stuff is what drives me to build more maps.

I think the original Frigid Peak looked better than this current one here. It is probably that brown dirt/rocky texture you used. It looks quite bland too, or at least it does on that particular screenshot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back