SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Sonic Robo Blast 2 > Releases > Characters

Advance Sonic (v2.1) Details »»
Advance Sonic (v2.1)
Developer Last Online: Mar 2020

Version: SRB2 Rating: (4 votes - 3.60 average)
Released: 03-16-2020 Last Update: Never Installs: 2
Characters Scripts Sprites/Graphics

Disclaimer: I had nothing to do with any previous incarnation of this character that may or may not have gotten around in the past few months.

Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20033.png
Views:	204
Size:	303.1 KB
ID:	28344

It's Sonic as he was in the Sonic Advance series, now in SRB2! His base stats are the same as regular Sonic's, but he has some new abilities, such as...

Boost Mode!

Name:	srb20070.gif
Views:	550
Size:	6.67 MB
ID:	28347
Similar to Metal Sonic's, but instead of tearing through spikes and enemies, Advance Sonic can keep his boost in mid air regardless of his speed! You can use this to quickly turn around or pick up speed again after hitting vertical springs. It doesn't charge up while you're revving a spindash though...

The Homing Attack!

Name:	srb20071.gif
Views:	263
Size:	5.20 MB
ID:	28348
Advance Sonic has the homing attack as his Jump Ability. Some people didn't even know he had this move in the Advance games. It wasn't very good, at least in 2, but it's better here as you can now pick up speed pretty quickly after using it and it won't stop boost mode. However, if you don't have a target, rather than doing the air dash you might expect, Sonic will perform a jump thok which can be used to pick up some speed, make it over ledges that are just slightly too high, or redirect his momentum in a different direction!

The Bound Attack!

Name:	srb20066.gif
Views:	232
Size:	6.85 MB
ID:	28349
Advance Sonic can't use shield abilities, but pressing Spin after jumping will send him straight down at a high speed, performing a small bounce upon landing. Good for getting through areas where you need to quickly fall down. If you're in boost mode, it won't cut your speed.

Spring Tricks!

Name:	srb20072.gif
Views:	324
Size:	4.19 MB
ID:	28350
For extra mobility after hitting springs, Advance Sonic can perform one of two tricks. Pressing Spin will perform the Humming Top, a spinning kick that sends you flying forward very fast! Pressing Jump will perform the Hop Jump, a decent vertical boost that lets you reach higher platforms or cover large distances when timed right.

All of these moves used together will help you maintain your momentum and open up almost any zone.

Changelog:
Spoiler:

v2.1:
  • Character now uses two buttons only. Vertical trick with Jump, forward trick with Spin.
  • Can no longer use homing or bound attacks after hitting a spring.
  • Can trick off of Techno Hill Zone gas jets and Arid Canyon Zone dust devils.
  • Homing attack recovery angle should be consistent now.
  • Horizontal springs and speed boosters can now put you in boost mode on the ground.
  • Bound attack no longer kills momentum in boost mode.
  • Can jump dash after a bounce.
  • Can no longer use the whirlwind shield's secondary jump.
  • New boost mode activation sound.
  • Boost mode is no longer instantly lost upon entering water (still lost in goop though).
  • Changed character select art.
  • Adjusted several sound effect volumes.
  • Changed homing attack sound effect.
v2:
  • Initial release.

Additional Notes:
  • The current character sprites are very much placeholders. I'd like to replace them with wholly original sprites in the future, so I hope for the time being that the gameplay makes up for it.
  • Sonic's sprites are all upscaled in game, which may make them look even weirder. Additionally, he doesn't have unique super form frames. He does have NiGHTS frames though.
  • Main abilities are subject to tweaks later on as sprites change. It'll mostly be the same though.
  • Please do not ask me to add Battle mod support. Do not give me suggestions for abilities in Battle mod. And for the love of all that is good in the world, do not host a server with this character in Battle mod.

Credits:
  • SEGA / Sonic Team - Origin of pretty much all the current sprites.
  • Blacknide and LonelyFoxz - Base sprite edits for the character and inspiration through the original Advance Sonic.
  • izzy - Further sprite edits, lots of gameplay testing, general encouragement, and showing me some really cool GIFs of what they could do with the character.
  • SMS Alfredo - Clean rip of the Sonic Rush trick sound. Seriously, this could have had way worse sound choices if not for that.
  • And the SRB2 wiki and Discord server for helping me with random scripting questions at 5 in the morning and whatnot.

Download Now

File Type: pk3 VCL_AdvanceSonic-v2.1.pk3 (960.4 KB, 235 views)

Screenshots

Name:	srb20067.png
Views:	45
Size:	12.2 KB
ID:	28897  

Supporters / CoAuthors

Show Your Support

• This addon may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without the author's permission.

Comments
Old 1 Week Ago   #2
Prime 2.0
Grape flavored
Administrator

Welcome to Releases!
Science tells us that nothing can be proven, only rendered more likely to be true. If we do not question what we already know, how can we know, much less admit, when we're wrong? Such things are vital to progress.
Prime 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #3
Eis-Kold

Yeah!
After about 20 minutes of playing as Advance Sonic I can say without a doubt that I love how much his gameplay differentiates from what the others have to offer. He gives such a fast-paced and aerial experience.

So far, the only issues I have are the homing attack occasionally breaking when things are close to the same height you're at and the inability to use shield abilities (although the only place this is a big issue is places like ACZ2). Also since springs are limited tricking isn't possible whenever I feel like.

But again, awesome mod! Super fun to use
Eis-Kold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #4
Zanda_Sama

So I tried to give advancesonic a char-specific HUD (like how Modern Sonic has one) based on Sonic Advance 2's HUD... I didn't get far. Maybe you can try to modify this to work or something. Or ask Motd to borrow the code that makes his HUD work... or whatever. I basically cropped the life icon from Sonic Advance 2, and then added shading like sonic's life icon, and then resized it... if it looks good is up to taste. Credit to Flare and Tippboyy on the spriters resource for ripping sprites.
Attached Files
File Type: pk3 VCL_AdvanceSonic-v2.pk3 (891.7 KB, 23 views)
Zanda_Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #5
Lolour

This wad is good, however one thing i would do is make the tricks possible to use after using the homing attack, only being able to use on springs is sad, with this aerial movement with him as i think it's what you wanted, would be better.
Old 1 Week Ago   #6
Snoopi
Not related to "Snoopy".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolour View Post
This wad is good, however one thing i would do is make the tricks possible to use after using the homing attack, only being able to use on springs is sad, with this aerial movement with him as i think it's what you wanted, would be better.
I mean, it's how he used to play in Advance 2 and 3.
Old 1 Week Ago   #7
Lolour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopi View Post
I mean, it's how he used to play in Advance 2 and 3.
I know, but the tricks only being applied to springs in SRB2's playstyle kinda makes some springs not worth using, and others worth using, and i change my mind here, The Bound Attack could have this utility, as you could use it and use Custom 1 after. People might not agree with me and i kinda can see if you don't.
Old 1 Week Ago   #8
Eis-Kold

Quote:
I know, but the tricks only being applied to springs in SRB2's playstyle kinda makes some springs not worth using, and others worth using, and i change my mind here, The Bound Attack could have this utility, as you could use it and use Custom 1 after. People might not agree with me and i kinda can see if you don't.
Yeah, I feel you. Mostly because of the lack of widesperead spring placement in SRB2 as compared to Advance.
Old 1 Week Ago   #9
izzy
*funny haha jazz band*

Quote:
The way tricks work right now is fine IMO, I'd probably allow tricks for other things that take you out of ball form though.
izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #10
Moose the Fat Cat

Fun character! I like how the homing attack feels with the spin, and the advance version of boosting. For some reason I can't get the spring tricks to work; custom 1 and 2 work otherwise but they don't seem to respond here, idk
Moose the Fat Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #11
Professor Eevee

Default this is preatty cool

so this is a vearvy cool mod/wad but also this already exist on gamebanana ported but does not have these abilityes

(Professor Eevee received an infraction for this post: Use correct grammar and spelling.)
Professor Eevee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #12
Lolour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Eevee View Post
so this is a vearvy cool mod/wad but also this already exist on gamebanana ported but does not have these abilityes
English please...?
Old 1 Week Ago   #13
Eis-Kold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Eevee View Post
He said he is not related to any previous versions of this add-on. Gamebanana is a site where people often illegally port previous/older versions of add-ons. As such, the two are made by two different people, and the Gamebanana version is outdated.
Old 1 Week Ago   #14
Professor Eevee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eis-Kold View Post
He said he is not related to any previous versions of this add-on. Gamebanana is a site where people often illegally port previous/older versions of add-ons. As such, the two are made by two different people, and the Gamebanana version is outdated.
oh srry didnt know
Professor Eevee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #15
Crum

I've addressed the lack of being able to trick on Discord but I'll say it here for clarity: this character does not work in 2.2.0 because a certain object flag relating to springs was bugged in that version. If you're playing on Mac you'll just have to wait it out to be able to use tricks.

Also I should ask before I go ahead with it in v2.1: Would anyone mind if the tricks were remapped to Jump and Spin? I'm testing it right now and it should feel more comfortable for people who don't use the customs much, but it comes at the cost of the homing and bound attacks off of springs. I didn't notice prior to release because I have extra mouse buttons to work with but it came up in conversation on the SRB2 Discord server.

Quote:
Yeah!
After about 20 minutes of playing as Advance Sonic I can say without a doubt that I love how much his gameplay differentiates from what the others have to offer. He gives such a fast-paced and aerial experience.

So far, the only issues I have are the homing attack occasionally breaking when things are close to the same height you're at and the inability to use shield abilities (although the only place this is a big issue is places like ACZ2). Also since springs are limited tricking isn't possible whenever I feel like.

But again, awesome mod! Super fun to use
Glad to hear that. I've been really worried about the character feeling too similar to preexisting ones, so it's nice to hear someone found it different enough. Sorry about the homing attack stuff, it's entirely working off the vanilla code which doesn't work as well as I'd like. That's probably why Neo Sonic goes into his spin state when it touches the ground, but I don't like that solution. I forgot to clarify about shield abilities in the OP, but that's meant to be a drawback for balance sake (and saving buttons). I felt like the base abilities covered enough of the same ground that shields do anyway. I'm adding Techno Hill's gas jets and Arid Canyon's dust devils to the list of things you can trick off of, so hopefully that helps out. Certainly makes those stages more fun in testing.

Quote:
The old Advance Sonic wad did that. I don't like that. It creates redundancy with just jump dashing and could be exploited as a means of getting double jumps in places you shouldn't be able to. My intent wasn't frequent tricks, it was a character designed around using boost mode and preserving that speed in places where other characters have to lose it, vertical springs being one of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanda_Sama View Post
So I tried to give advancesonic a char-specific HUD (like how Modern Sonic has one) based on Sonic Advance 2's HUD... I didn't get far. Maybe you can try to modify this to work or something. Or ask Motd to borrow the code that makes his HUD work... or whatever. I basically cropped the life icon from Sonic Advance 2, and then added shading like sonic's life icon, and then resized it... if it looks good is up to taste. Credit to Flare and Tippboyy on the spriters resource for ripping sprites.
The idea is appreciated but I'd prefer if you didn't post an edited version in this thread, let alone with the same name. I didn't mark this as reusable to protect future original sprites, but I don't like this either.

I'll consider the character-specific HUD down the road, provided someone else doesn't up and make it themselves. Could have sworn someone posted a mock-up but I can't find it...
Crum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #16
Icarus
The Final Doomer

Quote:

By "illegaly" do you mean that the ones on this site needs to be deleted because it could be reprehensible by the authorities?

Or just in the sense that those are illegitimate ports without the original modder's authorization?
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #17
barkley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crum View Post
Also I should ask before I go ahead with it in v2.1: Would anyone mind if the tricks were remapped to Jump and Spin? I'm testing it right now and it should feel more comfortable for people who don't use the customs much, but it comes at the cost of the homing and bound attacks off of springs. I didn't notice prior to release because I have extra mouse buttons to work with but it came up in conversation on the SRB2 Discord server.

I'm not a fan of customs since I use a controller and have jump/spin set to my bumpers and, since I cant reliably set customs to the triggers due to how srb2 handles gamepads, I have to set them to my a/b/x/y which is awkward since doing that means i cant work the camera with the right stick. I'd much prefer having the tricks set to jump and spin since you couldn't even do stuff other than tricks/general di when going off the ramps in the original advance games themselves.
barkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #18
Cabelio
Edgy Trashbag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crum View Post
Would anyone mind if the tricks were remapped to Jump and Spin? ... it comes at the cost of the homing and bound attacks off of springs.

My ideas for alternatives:

Forward + Jump / Tap Jump = Homing Attack
Jump / Hold Jump = Hop Jump
Forward + Spin / Tap Spin = Humming Top
Spin / Hold Spin = Bound

With the first set of inputs, it would leave backwards and jump for the Back Star, if you plan on adding it.

As for the accessibility of tricks, could it be possible to use tricks when launched fast enough off (ex. boost) a steep enough ramp? For example, the ramp near the start of DSZ2's early top path. It could open up opportunities to trick while staying true to the original, and without making it too easy to spam.

Hop Jump is really op in some scenarios, and a quick fix that could make his boost-based gameplay more interesting would be if he lost his speed (not boost) when using it, but gained more height based on the speed lost.

Last edited by Cabelio; 1 Week Ago at 08:43 PM. Reason: Unnecessary capital letter, OCD lol
Cabelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #19
Crum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabelio View Post
My ideas for alternatives:

Forward + Jump / Tap Jump = Homing Attack
Jump / Hold Jump = Hop Jump
Forward + Spin / Tap Spin = Humming Top
Spin / Hold Spin = Bound

With the first set of inputs, it would leave backwards and jump for the Back Star, if you plan on adding it.

As for the accessibility of tricks, could it be possible to use tricks when launched fast enough off (ex. boost) a steep enough ramp? For example, the ramp near the start of DSZ2's early top path. It could open up opportunities to trick while staying true to the original, and without making it too easy to spam.

Hop Jump is really op in some scenarios, and a quick fix that could make his boost-based gameplay more interesting would be if he lost his speed (not boost) when using it, but gained more height based on the speed lost.
I threw out directional input stuff pretty early on because it just made it difficult to get your desired ability while fighting muscle memory. Back star isn't really more useful than the current up trick and would probably cause problems for people using simple controls.

I can try the ramp stuff. It sounds fun and probably wouldn't break anything too badly. If it does, I can just limit it to the forward trick.

I... can you clarify what scenarios the hop jump is OP in? I don't want to make the height gain an inconsistent variable, but if it's too powerful in the base game then maybe I can adjust it.

EDIT: I underestimated just how many things are considered ramps. That's probably not a good idea to implement, sorry.

Last edited by Crum; 1 Week Ago at 09:25 PM.
Crum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #20
Icarus
The Final Doomer

"Disclaimer: I had nothing to do with any previous incarnation of this character that may or may not have gotten around in the past few months."

So this mod is really made from scratch (compared to the one on that other site)?

The quality there is much higher than that simple sprite rip
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote