We need a Suggestion thread

"Hello, guys. I'm someone oozing with skill and talent, on top of having too much free time! I'm dying to see if anyone out there has requests for me to tackle on an entire custom mod for SRB2! I'm especially excited to make characters that require 200 sprites minimum for each!"

- Said no one ever

I generally agree that we don't really need a requests thread, but something I would like to see is something that covers the fundamentals of getting into mod making. All the information you need to get started is on the wiki, but at first glance it's all a bit complicated and can be a bit intimidating to get started with. Something easily accessible that simplifies the process of understanding it a bit for educational purposes might help a lot of people interested in making mods take those first steps into doing it.

I generally agree that we don't really need a requests thread, but something I would like to see is something that covers the fundamentals of getting into mod making. All the information you need to get started is on the wiki, but at first glance it's all a bit complicated and can be a bit intimidating to get started with. Something easily accessible that simplifies the process of understanding it a bit for educational purposes might help a lot of people interested in making mods take those first steps into doing it.

this i totally agree with. the most we have currently are zipper's tutorials on youtube and while they are extremely useful and give you a good basis of lua, they don't cover the entire groundwork of lua as of right now. the wiki's tutorials are decent, and the current one covers things like spawning objects, but the problem there is that there's little to branch off from that other than the two whole other tutorials, and the wiki is, to put it nicely, not the best at explaining the contexts certain functions, constants or state are used in.

"Hello, guys. I'm someone oozing with skill and talent, on top of having too much free time! I'm dying to see if anyone out there has requests for me to tackle on an entire custom mod for SRB2! I'm especially excited to make characters that require 200 sprites minimum for each!"

- Said no one ever
I know that's a joke, but I would totally do that if I were sufficiently skillfil and talented, even if just to make the people who would want that happy.

I know that's a joke, but I would totally do that if I were sufficiently skillfil and talented, even if just to make the people who would want that happy.

i hope that's a joke too, since that'd just encourage more and more lazy requesters to bombard people with requests

the birds don't come back for more if you don't feed them in the first place.

Not like that, but a thread for mod makers so they can get ideas if need be. Because I think it's kinda messed up that someone can't make suggestions for a mod when a mod maker might want to take suggestions, but can't because of the crappy rules about "what if". That rule just kills the community of Mod makers who need ideas. I think locking a thread for making a "what if" is messed up, because if a Mod maker wants to make that mod let them. It's harmless to let them fantasize about "what if". Locking those threads is killing their dreams and I think that's messed up, and no I don't care what anyone thinks of what I'm saying. Killing someones dreams is not cool under any conditions.

I can agree with the that you want a new sub-forum, but I can't agree with the locking their threads thing, most of the times there is more than one reasons to lock their threads, they are not suggesting things - sometimes they're just asking people to make things for them.

You are severely underestimating how much time, effort, and patience creating a decent mod creates, especially with a deadline.

I myself can make a wad, but some people can't because the wiki kinda sucks when it comes to beginners. I'm an artist so it kinda fun to do so.

I myself can make a wad, but some people can't because the wiki kinda sucks when it comes to beginners. I'm an artist so it kinda fun to do so.

there are better tutorials than what the wiki has, right now that is only really useful for looking up different functions or remembering if you had that gosh darn button input name correct.

if you or anyone really wanted a character made, you would look up tutorials and make them yourself. zipper has some really good ones on their youtube channel, and they're more than enough to get you started.

tl;dr this thread is completely pointless, other than the point time gear brought up about having something that really covers the fundamentals of mod making and lua.

If a mod suggestions thread were made, it would mainly serve to keep those suggestions from other threads. I remember the official SEGA forums did something like that for Sonic Adventure 3 threads. They made an official SA3 discussion thread so the forum would stop drowning in threads about it.

But I don't foresee any modders looking for suggestions in such a thread. It's telling that the only ones saying they would have never actually made a mod before. Heck, even if a modder did take someone's suggestion, that opens up a new can of worms. Who owns the idea? The guy who made the suggestion, or the one who put in the work to make it real?

If a mod suggestions thread were made, it would mainly serve to keep those suggestions from other threads. I remember the official SEGA forums did something like that for Sonic Adventure 3 threads. They made an official SA3 discussion thread so the forum would stop drowning in threads about it.

But I don't foresee any modders looking for suggestions in such a thread. It's telling that the only ones saying they would have never actually made a mod before. Heck, even if a modder did take someone's suggestion, that opens up a new can of worms. Who owns the idea? The guy who made the suggestion, or the one who put in the work to make it real?

I didn't think about that. People can get real touchy when it comes to that. Thanks for that.

I have no modding nor artistic competences but I find it a bit disrespectful to ask artist to freely do stuff... they should even be paid for that imo.

Heck, even if a modder did take someone's suggestion, that opens up a new can of worms. Who owns the idea? The guy who made the suggestion, or the one who put in the work to make it real?

There wouldn't really be any way to prove it one way or another to be honest about it. Even if someone did take an idea from such a thread, they could just say they came up with the idea themselves and nobody could prove they took the idea from the thread, especially if the suggestion/request wasn't very specific. With more details there would be more evidence to suggest an idea was taken from there, but it would still be difficult to prove in most situations, especially if the mod author was careful to change details around enough.

I still don't really think such a thread is necessary, but if it did exist it would need to be made very clear that ideas posted in it may or may not ever be taken by someone willing to work on them, and that whoever does can take credit for it. That's really the only way to settle such potential disputes I can think of.

I'm still much more in the mind that there should be more in the way of material to act as a gateway into modding so that people interested can finally take those first steps, rather than a request thread that encourages people to keep putting the responsibility on others. Perhaps a basic tutorial thread putting some of the existing tutorial information in one thread, as well as perhaps a little bit of additional explanation and context. I feel that it's better to encourage more people to mod by making the prospect of doing so less intimidating and more accessible, rather than encouraging people to expect others to do the work for them via a request thread.

I'm still much more in the mind that there should be more in the way of material to act as a gateway into modding so that people interested can finally take those first steps, rather than a request thread that encourages people to keep putting the responsibility on others. Perhaps a basic tutorial thread putting some of the existing tutorial information in one thread, as well as perhaps a little bit of additional explanation and context. I feel that it's better to encourage more people to mod by making the prospect of doing so less intimidating and more accessible, rather than encouraging people to expect others to do the work for them via a request thread.
On that note, we could probably have something similar to Wikipedia's adopt-a-user program, which guides new users through by letting more experienced users teach them.

Modders will make the mods they want to. If they want to make something and don't know what, they'll ask. You can tell them what you want then. Otherwise, any mod you want, you should assume nobody else does. Do it yourself or do nothing.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back