You know how we're always comparing Sonic to DBZ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Princess Plushima

Princess of Dreams
Judge
Okay, so my whole "Sonic isn't DBZ, it's Sailor Moon" thing was mostly just cheap promotion for that random idea I had that never went beyond a crappy henshin sequence, but now that I've gotten further into the original Sailor Moon series, I'm beginning to wonder. Take note:

classic05.jpg

The seven Rainbow Crystals, though their powers are still completely different, they definitely bear a much stronger resemblance to the Chaos Emeralds than the Dragon Balls.

I also wish to note something about the second of the Sailor Soldiers, Sailor Mercury, according to Wikipedia:

She is hugely intelligent, with a rumored IQ of 300
(To the horribly dense, 300 is the magic number often said to be Eggman's IQ)
Horrible coincidence? Probably. Orite, and if we wanna be really pushy, the first two additions to the "Sailor Soldier" team happen to be a child prodigy, and a character with a deep connection to ancient mythology. (Something which, during the SA era before we scrapped all those cool substories, was often attributed to Knuckles, to those of you who are painfully dense)

Mind you, this is all probably horrible coincidence, but it definitely makes more sense than most of that crap we say about Sonic being like DBZ. Except Super Sonic of course, obvious Super Seijan ripoff. Any thoughts on the matter?

After a brief look on Wikipedia, it almost sounded like the main character had more powerful forms. Granted, it didn't look like there was any yellow-ness or hair turning upwards, but I thought it was worth pointing out.

Before I read the post I thought that image seriously was the chaos emeralds.
Also I'm pretty sure it's spelled saiyan, not seijin

Okay, so theres a lot of similarities in two different things. I still think they both rock, and hold their own individuality.

o_O wow. How did I not notice this?!?! I actually watched a Sailor Moon marathon after 100%-ing Sonic 2, and I STILL didn't notice.

Caught something else today, it's a bit later in the series though. Specifically, episode 61. The ending has the same general "Become strong to win his heart back" theme as the end of Amy's SA story.

Still probably nothing, but worth noting.

IIRC, the "Seven powerful stones" plot outline is based on old Japanese warrior folklore, so Sonic isn't really "copy-catting" anymore than DB and SM are/were. (Although it's generally rather common knowledge that Yuji Naka was a DB fan, so that likely had some part in its integration into the Sonic plot)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back