• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

SRB2Kart Texture bug in MD3 char. model

Status
Not open for further replies.

TDRR

my old posts are very dumb (formerly rayfan)
EDIT: Sorry, accidental double post due to slow internet and (apparently) slow forums.
(NOTE: I posted this on the Discord before, but since this appears to be harder than just giving the files a quick glance, i imagine it would be easier to get an answer here)

So recently i was finishing up a MD3 model for use with https://mb.srb2.org/showthread.php?t=45483 this Gaz character. It was a fairly quick process because it's from a pre-existing model, got the kart from Sonic's official model, and got the kart textures from there too. Corrected the texture mapping and now it displays fine in Maverick Model 3D and ZDoom32, but in SRB2Kart it looks like this:
kart0022.png

And this is how it should look (This is imported directly from the .MD3 file)
correctmodel.png

Attached is the model so you can better see what's wrong with it. Unzip the file directly on the mdls folder of your SRB2Kart install, and put the following line in your mdls.dat, preferably at the end of it:
GAZ KDLC/KGAZ.md3 3.0 0.0
Obviously, requires the Gaz .wad file linked above, so get that too. Or you could remap it over another character but then you would need to switch it back later.

Attachments

• Gaz_Model.zip
    243.3 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:
Hey, I did the MD3 work in the game -- could you get me a better screenshot of Gaz in-game? perhaps in a similar viewpoint as to your 'how it should be' screenshot? (btw, I think this model is awesome!)

Edit: Wait, I see... that's a screenshot of her front. Hah. I will see if I can take a closer look.

Edit #2: Okay, so the issue is COMPLETELY with the texturing... I'm not familiar with how Kart applies the _blend, so a KartKrew member might have to chime in here about it.

Last edited:
Hey, I did the MD3 work in the game -- could you get me a better screenshot of Gaz in-game? perhaps in a similar viewpoint as to your 'how it should be' screenshot? (btw, I think this model is awesome!)
I can't get any better screenshots, OpenGL in splitscreen is horrendously slow on this PC and i just can't position it correctly.

Thanks by the way, but i don't think i really deserve much credit. Textures are by me, plus rigging as well as various tweaks in geometry, but the most important part, the extremely solid base (model, textures and all) for the final model was made by Incinerator Studios for Nicktoons: Globs of Doom. After all, without them this model would be only 0.05% as awesome compared to what it is right now!

Edit #2: Okay, so the issue is COMPLETELY with the texturing... I'm not familiar with how Kart applies the _blend, so a KartKrew member might have to chime in here about it.
It's not about the _blend apparently, as even without it the textures will be mapped incorrectly (Grayscale and uncolorable, but otherwise identical).

Here's a screenshot of the exact same .md3 file copied directly from the .zip in ZDoom32 (scaled to double-size for visibility):
attachment.php

So yeah, apparently it's a SRB2Kart-only thing.

Attachments

• gazkartworksfine.png
    gazkartworksfine.png
    25 KB · Views: 607
Alright, I've got this diagnosed for you.

It's because the Gaz model contains NEGATIVE texture coordinates. This isn't supported in SRB2.

They're mostly on her head, I think.
If you remove the negative coordinates, it'll work.

Alright, I've got this diagnosed for you.

It's because the Gaz model contains NEGATIVE texture coordinates. This isn't supported in SRB2.

They're mostly on her head, I think.
If you remove the negative coordinates, it'll work.

Really strange they are negative though, might have happened when i was adding the kart to it.

Well, doesn't matter now, it works! Thank you so much, looks pretty nice in-game actually, it fits very well with the colorful environment.

Attachments

• kart0024.png
    kart0024.png
    175.8 KB · Views: 208
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back